New Manager?

johnmeiksy

Who the fuck are East Stirling? Just another cheap option!

My choice would alwys be an up&comer who's done well with one of the P/T clubs - either Steve Aitken or Ian Murray in that order. If you're going for an old lag they'll all have a few failures against their names otherwise they'd be out of our price range - going down that route I'd say Calderwood is the best option - he was recently interviewed for the Ayr Utd. job so should in theory be interested in a club like Saints.

I think Calderwood is a good shout. His CV is good and he seems really keen to get back into management. Don't know what his connections are like or whether he can overcome the reluctance that good players have about joining us.

We wouldn't be so toothless if Millan was still on the staff he would have been knocking a few heads together ,as for Teale ,he just hasn't got what it takes if he is still here next season (which I really doubt) we could well be in the same position as now heading even deeper into the shit,

Did his over spending not cause Dunfermline serious financial problems, I seem to remember he had a lot of money to spend at Aberdeen too.

He must know we are always skint though. My concern would be that he has been out of it for a while so how strong are his connections? Could he convince good players to come to us?

Did his over spending not cause Dunfermline serious financial problems, I seem to remember he had a lot of money to spend at Aberdeen too.

He was also brought in to save Kilmarnock from the drop with no money a couple of seasons ago.

Calderwood has been managing in Holland until fairly recently.Could be a good fit for us.Teale as his No2 would on the face of it seem OK.Jimmy has vast experience and I would imagine good contacts in the game.This could be the ideal learning curve for Gary.

Calderwood ticks a lot of boxes. I've mixed feelings about keeping Gary. Might be awkward for him to drop back to coach. He isn't short of a bob or two so maybe a move away to a smaller club would be best for all concerned.

I would prefer to see Terry Butcher over Calderwood but both would fit the bill of an experienced man. It's important that the BOD go for this type of manager.

I favour Calderwood because I remember his teams being more attack minded and skilful. Butcher would be great too though and just the type to cleanse the club of its losing mentality.

I desperately want us to break the cycle of appointing from within.

The new manager needs to come from outside the club, so that the "old pals" brigade are broken up.

To my mind we are ideally looking for;

1) Someone experienced. I don't mean an old largs mafia type, but someone who is not a complete rookie.

2) Someone with contacts. Preferably with a knowledge of the English lower league market

3) Someone who has a proven track record with giving young players their chance. The Academy will be really important next season and beyond.

Optional; Experience of the Scottish game and good with the media

I think Terry Butcher ticks most of those boxes to be honest except, maybe crucially, the 3rd point.

ICT are a similar club to ourselves, he took them beyond anywhere we have been in the SPL era. His style of football might not be the most pleasing on the eye, but his ICT team were big, strong, very hard to beat, and scored goals. I don't care if it's pretty, I just want to see a team competing, scoring some goals, and maybe winning some football matches just for the craic.

I'd love to want to go to an away game again, and not just for a piss up. For too long, under Gus and Danny too, we have turned up at away grounds and mostly rolled over. This season Tommy took it even further and made home games unenjoyable too !

I'm not sure if Butcher is the answer, but he'd be a big improvement on what we've had this season that is for sure.

Calderwood would work for me too, would be fairly happy with that one.

I agree with Div about appointing outwith the club. But to my mind we are looking for:

1. someone to modernize, re-employ sports scientist & psychologist, sort Diets, fitness regimes etc.change training.

2. will change the philosophy and "scottish" mentality (bin the monster munches)

3. sign 3 or 4 senior players to augment the academy team he is going to have to play.

4.Sets up the academy in exactly the same mold as the first team.

maybe a foreign coach could do this, but plenty of young scottish coaches are going down this route too. It's been extremely effective at Hearts and has the bonus of being the opposite of Tommy Craig (sacks the sports psychologist because TC has the experience to do without him, then complains that the team lacks confidence).

It's more long term than bounce straight back (I doubt we could do that anyway) but It would be worth it.

I agree with Div about appointing outwith the club. But to my mind we are looking for:

1. someone to modernize, re-employ sports scientist & psychologist, sort Diets, fitness regimes etc.change training.

2. will change the philosophy and "scottish" mentality (bin the monster munches)

3. sign 3 or 4 senior players to augment the academy team he is going to have to play.

4.Sets up the academy in exactly the same mold as the first team.

maybe a foreign coach could do this, but plenty of young scottish coaches are going down this route too. It's been extremely effective at Hearts and has the bonus of being the opposite of Tommy Craig (sacks the sports psychologist because TC has the experience to do without him, then complains that the team lacks confidence).

It's more long term than bounce straight back (I doubt we could do that anyway) but It would be worth it.

[/quotE

Totally agree with the need to modernise and re-employ sports psychologists and dietary experts etc coupled with a Calderwood or a Butcher or someone of that caliber. The infrastructure is already in place. We have the potential to be so much better than whats been on show for the last 3 seasons.