John Mcginn Tweet

TopCat.You are absolutely wrong about Paul McGinn.I asked the question about Paul direct to Tommy at the AGM and he decided to let him go because he felt Naismith was the better right back option.

Well he was let go by Danny Lennon, not Tommy Craig.

I'm sure there were reports at the time which said he was offered a new deal but turned it down as he wanted to study. I can look for them if you like...?

For what it's worth, from what I've seen of Paul McGinn this year he's nothing special at all. He's been poor in all 3 games against us.

to be fair, he did help us win the League Cup. In fact, without his great form in semi and final we likely would not have won it.

He has his place in St Mirren history.

Of course he does.

My point is its a waste of years of developing these guys for them to end up at f**kin Dundee, a club hardly any bigger than us at all.

Stephen McGinn left as a *** slaying hero! I think we even got money for him. Famously the only thing Longwell has ever done!

I don't recall anyone at St Mirren thinking he wisnae good enough. Unless we knocked him back this season? It would a fair point, what a joke to think McGinn was available and we were out signing utter pish like Dayton and Arquin.

I would not be surprised to see John at Dundee next season. What an utter waste of time and effort from everyone at St Mirren FC.

Is that including John.

The problem with player development is that young players all mature and come of age at different times and some that appear to be a class above everyone at a young age sometimes fade away to be very average whilst those that seem average at a young age find their feet and mature into good players - what is an excellent young 16 Yr old might be a very average 20 Yr old because the stop listening, learning and developing because they think they have made it. Others keep their head down, listen, work hard and develop into something useful.

Thats why the Youth Development systems on the continent are better suited to bringing through talent, a Youth player in Holland for example knows what his future is as its all mapped out for him until he is about 20 and at that point if he is still there at that age he knows exactly when he will be introduced to the 1st team squad setup. He is well coached and mentored and all that pressure of whether he will be there next year is taken away right up to he is 20.

In England & Scotland its very different, its almost a year to year existence from the age of 8 to 16 at which point you get a scholarship if deemed good enough, and from there you have two years to earn a professional contract and force your way into the first team.

We make it so difficult for young players to come through across the UK, why?

Edited by Ditto

The problem with player development is that young players all mature and come of age at different times and some that appear to be a class above everyone at a young age sometimes fade away to be very average whilst those that seem average at a young age find their feet and mature into good players - what is an excellent young 16 Yr old might be a very average 20 Yr old because the stop listening, learning and developing because they think they have made it. Others keep their head down, listen, work hard and develop into something useful.

Thats why the Youth Development systems on the continent are better suited to bringing through talent, a Youth player in Holland for example knows what his future is as its all mapped out for him until he is about 20 and at that point if he is still there at that age he knows exactly when he will be introduced to the 1st team squad setup. He is well coached and mentored and all that pressure of whether he will be there next year is taken away right up to he is 20.

In England & Scotland its very different, its almost a year to year existence from the age of 8 to 16 at which point you get a scholarship if deemed good enough, and from there you have two years to earn a professional contract and force your way into the first team.

We make it so difficult for young players to come through across the UK, why?

We aren't interested in development

All about winning and glory

Don't let anyone tell you different

Translates as, I have a pca sorted

Yes. Especially this line:

"There's players playing for contracts or trying to impress other clubs but if anyone was looking at that then they'll not go anywhere."

He's very much talking about 'other players' whose futures may be in doubt. I wonder where he'll go. It'd be galling to see him at Dundee, but I'd go there if I was him. I wouldn't turn down the chance to play with my two brothers.

He's very much talking about 'other players' whose futures may be in doubt. I wonder where he'll go. It'd be galling to see him at Dundee, but I'd go there if I was him. I wouldn't turn down the chance to play with my two brothers.

I'm almost certain he'll turn up at Dundee. Tbh doesn't bother me one bit, they've done well, top six ffs, whilst we meddle about as per.

Any able and ambitious player would shuffle off, can't blame them one bit

He's still got a year left on his contract though hasn't he? Would Dundee pay the money for him?

As much as he has been poor this season he was our best player by a country mile the year before so I would love to keep him, he has the potential to be the best player in the Championship. As others have said though I wouldn't blame him for going to Dundee if he got thec hance.

He's still got a year left on his contract though hasn't he? Would Dundee pay the money for him?

As much as he has been poor this season he was our best player by a country mile the year before so I would love to keep him, he has the potential to be the best player in the Championship. As others have said though I wouldn't blame him for going to Dundee if he got thec hance.

I thought his contract was up at the end of this season.

If so and we offer him another on we'll be due a developement fee should he choose to move on.

I thought his contract was up at the end of this season.

If so and we offer him another on we'll be due a developement fee should he choose to move on.

Just checked, your right it's this summer his contract is up. Would Dundee pay the compensation fee based on his performances this season though? Probably not.

As I've said on other threads, I think McGinn will be here next season.

The development fee would be at least 300k. He's been at us since he was 8 and is currently the captain of the Scotland u21 team.

I simply can't see any other club willing to pay that much money for a player who's been so poor this season.

And from his point of view, he should take a look at Kenny McLean. Sign a new deal, get your head down and work hard and play. You will then get the move.

"I would not say I have been playing overly poorly but I have been disappointed with the way I have played, a lot of boys feel the same. I need to pick that up for the last five games and see how it goes."

McGinn's modesty is a mark of a mature player aware of the current malaise and indeed anger which is currently being felt by those supporters closest to the club.

Modesty? How is that modesty.. he may not be the worst offender this season but probably the biggest drop in performances since last season.

The quote you highlighted I found interesting considering Teale claimed the players had done their best the other night.

Gary McAllister said during commentary McGinn has been one of the few bright spots of our season, which was just nonsense.

The quote you highlighted I found interesting considering Teale claimed the players had done their best the other night.

Gary McAllister said during commentary McGinn has been one of the few bright spots of our season, which was just nonsense.

Teale's comments puzzle me completely from a man who opened up after the Motherwell game and seemed completely embarrassed by every individual who played. After Ross County he turned into a complete bulls*****r

McAllister has just been lazy there in saying that. It's clear to most that McGinn is one of the brightest talents in Scotland, though this season, as John admits himself, he has been very very poor for a player we depend on making things happen.

Edited by kevo_smfc

Teale's comments puzzle me completely from a man who opened up after the Motherwell game and seemed completely embarrassed by every individual who played. After Ross County he turned into a complete bulls*****r

McAllister has just been lazy there in saying that. It's clear to most that McGinn is one of the brightest talents in Scotland, though this season, as John admits himself, he has been very very poor for a player we depend on making things happen.

Agree 100% on GT going from open, clearly embarrased but honest after Motherwell to manager bullshitspeak 101 on Monday night right down to "didn't see the penalty incident so can't comment" Cut out the clichés Gary it doesn't do you any favours.

Agree 100% on GT going from open, clearly embarrased but honest after Motherwell to manager bullshitspeak 101 on Monday night right down to "didn't see the penalty incident so can't comment" Cut out the clichés Gary it doesn't do you any favours.

Maybe he was too busy looking at Goodwin and thinking "Bloody hell, at least turn round instead of just holding your arm up!"

I'm not interested in what McGinn says to the press. No more interested than I am in hearing Gilmour jumping to his own defence.

McGinn should have done his talking on the football pitch. He failed to do so to any adequate effect this season and has contributed to our relegation as a result. He should be spending his time reflecting on that in a quite room somewhere, not giving interviews to hacks.

Gilmour finally sticks his head above the parapet now that the baw's burst and there are no longer any worthwhile, meaningful decisions to have to make.

Nah, it smacks of utterly meaningless whataboutery.

I'm not interested in what McGinn says to the press. No more interested than I am in hearing Gilmour jumping to his own defence.

McGinn should have done his talking on the football pitch. He failed to do so to any adequate effect this season and has contributed to our relegation as a result. He should be spending his time reflecting on that in a quite room somewhere, not giving interviews to hacks.

Gilmour finally sticks his head above the parapet now that the baw's burst and there are no longer any worthwhile, meaningful decisions to have to make.

In fairness the quotes are almost certainly from the post-match press stuff on Monday. It's pretty much a requirement for someone from each team to go up.

Yeah, Gilmour only reacted due to a few articles in the press, namely the Tom English one.

No apologies for how this season has been handled, all the way to the handling of that howling kit.