John Mcginn Tweet

John made a huge impact when he first arrived on the scene, the trouble is once you know his game he is very easy to play against.

He's predictable, lacks pace and positional awareness.

Good player but had a long way to go before anyone wold pay a fee for him IMO.

Edited by davidg

John made a huge impact when he first arrived on the scene, the trouble is once you know his game he is very easy to play against.

He's predictable, lacks pace and positional awareness.

Good player but had a long way to go before anyone wold pay a fee for him IMO.

Had a similar conversation about John recently, where I drew some comparisons to Wylde.

Wylde appeared in a Rangers side 4/5 years ago and featured in European games. He had some raw attributes and, as he was new, got away using solely them in games.

Fast forward 5 years and it's fair to say the Wylde has done nothing to harness those attributes and regressed as a player. In fact, you can't see him playing top flight football again, only down from us I'm afraid.

And it's at that point I draw the comparison to John McGinn. This 18 month period is crucial to his career and needs to get his head down and work on some flaws in his game, otherwise he'll not make use of his potential.

The problem with McGInn is one that you see so often in football these days up and down the UK.

There has been so much talk about McGinn being one of Scotland's bright young stars, McAllister himself made exactly those comments the other night yet even. But the reality is, is he is a rank average young player that has got into some really bad habits on the pitch. But because the press and TV single him out to be a special talent he now believes it himself and it shows in his play.

McGinn is nothing more than a good hustle and bustle ball winner, don't get me wrong, there are some very good players out there earning a very good wage in top flight football & Internationally doing just that. The difference is however, that those other players recognise their abilities and shortcomings and just concentrate and play to what they do best. McGinn meanwhile thinks he is Maradona and it's this that the coaches should be working with to correct and get rid of from his game.

John McGInn without doubt works hard on a football pitch, he runs all day, he is tough and is not scared to get stuck in, however his first touch in control is poor at best, his awareness of others around him is shocking and his distribution is very poor - his decision making is also very, very poor!

​As I once heard a coach at a top professional club say to a young player once when he was just 16 applies to John here today at 20 - when you break up play and win the ball and lay it off short John you are a fantastic player, but when you break up play and win the ball and then try to hit a glorious 60 yd pass or run with it your a horrible! player

How many times have I seen John McGinn break down the opposition and you think well done, but then see him give it straight back to them or where his touch lets him down and the ball bounces off his foot and runs a few feet away from him, its not pretty to watch. The worst is where he has a simple 10 - 15 yard lay off out wide but will then for no reason turn and either loose the ball or worse still, turn and hit an aimless 60 yrs cross field ball that the opposition pick off time and time again.

If I were advising John McGinn, I would tell him, drop down into the Championship with St Mirren for next season and work on the areas of your game (that I have alluded to above) that need a lot of work and aim to get St Mirren back up into the SPFL and use that to improve your game and earn that big money move or better still stay with St Mirren and be the engine room of a good young team.

I would have John McGinn watching videos of Mascherano at Barcelona all summer.

I knew Gary Holt pretty well when he played for Killie and he said he was told he wasn't good enough to be a playmaker and he should stick to winning the ball and giving it to Durrant. Fortunately Gary listened and made a good career out of that, unless John can develop that side of his game, he might need to do likewise.

Indeed. In the Dutch team that night there were players who will go on to play for the likes of Barca, Bayern and Real at the very top of the world game.

In the Scotland team there were players who will go on to play for the likes of Sheffield United, Derby County and Rotheram in the English second and third tiers, and I very much include McGinn and McLean in that category. No wonder they got horsed.

For whatever reason Scotland is incapable of producing world class players and has been for a while. Infact I think the last world class player to come from this country came from St Mirren, and that was Paul Lambert who came through our ranks nearly 30 years ago.

The reason is perfectly straight forwards.

Players in Scotland simply don't commit enough.

The clubs allow them to work only a few short hours per day which is nowhere near enough to build up the level of technical skill required to be at Barcelona, Madrid or Munich levels.

That's the reason our players come up short in terms of both physical fitness and technical aptitude and it doesn't require much to realise this.

All of our players who go south express astonishment at how much fitter and technically adept other teams are and that those teams train for longer.

We accept mediocrity up here and that's exactly what we get.

We may need to hire coaches who are not former players to get away from this mentality.

What possible good can come from hiring a player as a coach whose experience of his own personal coaching has been mediocre for example?

People wonder why John McGinn's career has stalled? The guy isn't committing enough. That's absolutely his right to decide how he dedicates his life but IMO at the end of his career he'll likely regret spending so much time f**king around on bloody Twitter when he could have spent that time more productively working towards a career which may have resulted in him earning really serious money. His choice I suppose.

Edited by oaksoft

I agree with the gist of your post, but as Bluto doesn't appear to be reading this I feel it's up to me to point this out.

The reason is perfectly straight forward.. the s is redundant.

John McGinns' career has stalled, there is, after all, only one John McGinn currently employed by St Mirren Football Club.

I feel better now. bangin.gif

I agree with the gist of your post, but as Bluto doesn't appear to be reading this I feel it's up to me to point this out.

The reason is perfectly straight forward.. the s is redundant.

John McGinns' career has stalled, there is, after all, only one John McGinn currently employed by St Mirren Football Club.

I feel better now. bangin.gif

Confused? You will be after the next episode of syntax.

John McGinn's career may have stalled. If there were more than one then "John McGinns' careers may have done so.

ETA

Now I feel better!

Edited by stlucifer

The reason is perfectly straight forwards.

Players in Scotland simply don't commit enough.

The clubs allow them to work only a few short hours per day which is nowhere near enough to build up the level of technical skill required to be at Barcelona, Madrid or Munich levels.

That's the reason our players come up short in terms of both physical fitness and technical aptitude and it doesn't require much to realise this.

All of our players who go south express astonishment at how much fitter and technically adept other teams are and that those teams train for longer.

We accept mediocrity up here and that's exactly what we get.

We may need to hire coaches who are not former players to get away from this mentality.

What possible good can come from hiring a player as a coach whose experience of his own personal coaching has been mediocre for example?

People wonder why John McGinn's career has stalled? The guy isn't committing enough. That's absolutely his right to decide how he dedicates his life but IMO at the end of his career he'll likely regret spending so much time f**king around on bloody Twitter when he could have spent that time more productively working towards a career which may have resulted in him earning really serious money. His choice I suppose.

Agree with your comments and that former players who become coaches need to to change with the times but so do fans. A lot of top sports' professionals use Twitter on a much more regular basis.

Plus, John McGinn uses a PR agency to tweet for him.........

Eh Naw

351 first team appearances for Manchester United

1 European Champions League Winner

1 World Club Champion

4 Premiership League Winners medals

1 FA Cup Winners medal

1 Football League Cup Winners medal

Premiership Team of the Year 09/10

Darren Fletcher WAS world class. Its not up for debate.

I knew Gary Holt pretty well when he played for Killie and he said he was told he wasn't good enough to be a playmaker and he should stick to winning the ball and giving it to Durrant. Fortunately Gary listened and made a good career out of that, unless John can develop that side of his game, he might need to do likewise.

I doubt there has been anyone on the coaching staff who can do this for John given that he has been left to almost run the midfield at times so the focus has been on the team rather than his development as a young player.

He probably needs to leave for better coaching and management as to be quite honest he's wasted with us at the moment.

McGinn has suffered due to the poor quality of coaches we have at St Mirren. Nowhere near the player he was two years ago, its a real shame.

If I was him I'd be looking to get a move to Europe, a lower league club in Germany or Holland for a couple of years. He has talent but I can't see him developing in Scotland.

Assuming there isn't a liberal sprinkling of journalistic license in this piece, I have to say that this was piss-poor from a player at a point in the season when we were still in with a (remote) shout of staying up. FFS, its piss poor regardless, though seems to epitomise the attitude of most of the players at the club this season.

It appears that they simply haven't cared enough, and, that being the case, they can, quite frankly, get themselves to f**k.

ETA: I've re-read the piece minus the red mist, and, in fairness, I have probably been unduly harsh. I think the piece writer has placed emphasis on McGinn saying he wouldn't want to play in the Championship, when, he does say that he was focussed on keeping us up in the first instance, and would then consider his position. Didn't work out, though, and he is one of the many reasons it didn't.

Edited by Drew

I think there's something to be said for Scottish players not practicing enough. Don't know if anyone watches Fantasy football club on Sky Sports on a Friday, it's a pretty decent magazine style program.

Every week they do a two footed corner challenge, where three players of one club have to score directly from a corner using their right and then directly from a corner with their left. The player with the fewest combined total wins. It's obviously typically English clubs that do it, and I'd say the average score was about 15 and the winner is usually in single figures. Couple of players have did it in 2 and 3 attempts before.

This week they did it with Aberdeen, the 3 players were Kenny McLean, Ryan Jack and Jamie Masson. McLean and Jack seemingly being two of the top young players in Scotland. Ryan Jack couldn't do it with his right foot and chucked it after fifty attempts and McLean won with a total of 38, a total that would normally be good enough for last place

Pretty daft made for tv game obviously, but I do think it's pretty symptomatic of the lack of technical ability amongst young Scottish players.

To be fare Drew the whole article is not there he went on to say he is desperate to keep Saint up bra bla bla. However he was a wee bit silly saying he would move down south if we failed to stay up

He will need to find a club daft enough to pay money for him before he can move south.

I'm fairly confident McGinn will be at St Mirren next season. I wouldn't be averse to giving him the captaincy actually, might help him recapture his form from last season.

I think there's something to be said for Scottish players not practicing enough. Don't know if anyone watches Fantasy football club on Sky Sports on a Friday, it's a pretty decent magazine style program.

Every week they do a two footed corner challenge, where three players of one club have to score directly from a corner using their right and then directly from a corner with their left. The player with the fewest combined total wins. It's obviously typically English clubs that do it, and I'd say the average score was about 15 and the winner is usually in single figures. Couple of players have did it in 2 and 3 attempts before.

This week they did it with Aberdeen, the 3 players were Kenny McLean, Ryan Jack and Jamie Masson. McLean and Jack seemingly being two of the top young players in Scotland. Ryan Jack couldn't do it with his right foot and chucked it after fifty attempts and McLean won with a total of 38, a total that would normally be good enough for last place

Pretty daft made for tv game obviously, but I do think it's pretty symptomatic of the lack of technical ability amongst young Scottish players.

Guni Torfasson epitomised the difference between our Scottish player attitude and those on the continent. He would go back to practice free kicks etc when others had left. It would be interesting to see exactly what goes on during our training sessions. Whatever, our players appear unfit and lack understanding of their role on the pitch plus tactics being used.

He will need to find a club daft enough to pay money for him before he can move south.

I'm fairly confident McGinn will be at St Mirren next season. I wouldn't be averse to giving him the captaincy actually, might help him recapture his form from last season.

In order to get compensation from another club does McGinn not have to be offered an improved contract by Saints and turn it down?