New Goalkeeper

Seaside Nipper

We got Kello on a new contract in the summer, a move just about everyone was happy with at the time. Signing Macdonald as well would have been a ridiculous waste of wages, up there with Killie wasting most of their budget on signing both Samson and Reguero at the start of last season.

Would take Macdonald for next season, although think he's been a bit suspect for Falkirk this year.

It won't be difficult to improve on the current pair of clowns.

To be fair we were all happy when we signed Kello again. I have no idea what happened to him over the summer to turn him in to the excuse of a goalkeeper he is now.

I can't say that fills me with any great confidence, while he's a decent shot stopper and a good back up, he's far from what I would have as a number one choice.

He's a championship level goalie.

We are a championship side.

Go figure.

Nothing to figure he's not good enough for the top level or the championship in my opinion.

How many games have you seen him play in the Championship?

He isn't a top level goalie, but he's won points for us this season. The 10 man win at Dingwall being one example.

I don't think we could do better than him in the summer.

Edited by TopCat

How many games have you seen him play in the Championship?

He isn't a top level goalie, but he's won points for us this season. The 10 man win at Dingwall being one example.

I don't think we could do better than him in the summer.

I don't think it's really up for debate that Jamie MacDonald is a better keeper than Ridgers, given that MacDonald reduced him to benchwarmer at Hearts for long enough.

I don't rate Ridgers, not one little bit. He may be a decent shot stopper, but then I've never understood this sort of praise for a goalie. If you aren't at least good at stopping shots, then you really shouldn't be a goalkeeper.

I don't think it's really up for debate that Jamie MacDonald is a better keeper than Ridgers, given that MacDonald reduced him to benchwarmer at Hearts for long enough.

I don't rate Ridgers, not one little bit. He may be a decent shot stopper, but then I've never understood this sort of praise for a goalie. If you aren't at least good at stopping shots, then you really shouldn't be a goalkeeper.

Exactly, if you cant adequately stop an attacker, your not a defender, if you can't bully the opposition, your not a central midfielder, if you cant score goals, your not a striker... In that context, a goalie who can't stop shots is not a goalkeeper. Now assuming you can save the odd shot or two may give the title of a goalie, but that is the tip of the iceberg. A good keeper should give confidence to the defence by commanding the box both verbally and physically. Taking control at corners, crosses, organising those in front of him, standing tall and giving the defenders confidence. Ridgers provides absolutely none of the above, IMO he makes the defence nervous, his distribution of the ball is terrible, and aside from the odd save here and there, is a calamitous goalkeeper!