New Goalkeeper

Seaside Nipper

I don't think it's really up for debate that Jamie MacDonald is a better keeper than Ridgers, given that MacDonald reduced him to benchwarmer at Hearts for long enough.

I don't rate Ridgers, not one little bit. He may be a decent shot stopper, but then I've never understood this sort of praise for a goalie. If you aren't at least good at stopping shots, then you really shouldn't be a goalkeeper.

Thank Christ I'm not the only one who thinks that about goalies! Being a good shot-stopper is the absolute bare minimum I'd expect from a keeper.

Exactly, if you cant adequately stop an attacker, your not a defender, if you can't bully the opposition, your not a central midfielder, if you cant score goals, your not a striker... In that context, a goalie who can't stop shots is not a goalkeeper. Now assuming you can save the odd shot or two may give the title of a goalie, but that is the tip of the iceberg. A good keeper should give confidence to the defence by commanding the box both verbally and physically. Taking control at corners, crosses, organising those in front of him, standing tall and giving the defenders confidence. Ridgers provides absolutely none of the above, IMO he makes the defence nervous, his distribution of the ball is terrible, and aside from the odd save here and there, is a calamitous goalkeeper!

Our defence make me nervous.

Exactly, if you cant adequately stop an attacker, your not a defender, if you can't bully the opposition, your not a central midfielder, if you cant score goals, your not a striker... In that context, a goalie who can't stop shots is not a goalkeeper.

Why pick on the goalkeeper, we've nether had any of the other four you mentioned.

I don't think it's really up for debate that Jamie MacDonald is a better keeper than Ridgers, given that MacDonald reduced him to benchwarmer at Hearts for long enough.

I don't rate Ridgers, not one little bit. He may be a decent shot stopper, but then I've never understood this sort of praise for a goalie. If you aren't at least good at stopping shots, then you really shouldn't be a goalkeeper.

I have to admit that describing a keeper as a good shot stopper, is somewhat cliched. I should have said that Ridgers is decent enough at reaction type saves and he does have the ability to pull off some spectacular efforts. But his all round game is weak in many areas, and I reckon we could do better.

Would we be able to get McDonald though? If a club like Killie, Partick Thistle or even Mothewell make an offer for him, that's us out the race.

I imagine he'd be more inclined to remain at Falkirk than to come to us.

This is where we are in the market now.

And shot stopping is a skill like any other, some goalkeepers are better at it than others. I wouldn't say Ridgers was especially good at it, but then again if he was he wouldn't be playing for us.

Edited by TopCat

Oops.

Edited by TopCat

Ridgers is rubbish

Absolutely , and with the possible exceptions of Howard and Smith , none of the others mentioned were recognised first choice for any length of time because the were equally rubbish , they were all binned pronto , unlike Ridgers !

Scott Strang.

You evil get Rab! I remember on the spur of the moment driving like a maniac to get to Dingwall for the game that saw Strang's one and only appearance. It became clear during the warm up that he lacked the ball catching ability you tend to expect from a professional keeper. We only lost 4-1 though, so it could've been worse.

Absolutely , and with the possible exceptions of Howard and Smith , none of the others mentioned were recognised first choice for any length of time because the were equally rubbish , they were all binned pronto , unlike Ridgers !

& Fridge ?? over 80 games . ( also you said First team ... not first choice ! ) OK Grant Adam doesnt count ! tongue.png

You evil get Rab! I remember on the spur of the moment driving like a maniac to get to Dingwall for the game that saw Strang's one and only appearance. It became clear during the warm up that he lacked the ball catching ability you tend to expect from a professional keeper. We only lost 4-1 though, so it could've been worse.

It's the worst goalkeeping display I've ever seen. I remember him crawling along the ground like a toddler in a laughable attempt to stop one of their goals.

I remember watching his heroic performance for Renfrew in the Junior Cup Final and wondering if he was worth a gamble.

I think we know the answer.