Cheesy's Away.

I’m sorry to see him go. I agree that Cheesy wasn’t the greatest but he was definitely not the worst - and he had that added quality fans want, he is a fan and so, fully committed to the club. I think the criticism of him by certain fans was, at best, misdirected.

Take last season. 5 clubs had a worse Goal Difference than us and 5 clubs conceded more goals (slightly different clubs - Motherwell conceded 2 more than us and they finished second top!). In the same season, we were the second lowest scoring team - the other one was Hibernian (who were relegated - remember?). Yet, for a lot of our fans, the problem was the defence …..
Guess what bit us on the bum this season? I would rather have a club that scores loads of goals - a least if you let in daft goals (and every team does), there’s confidence within the team that you’ll score again.
Good luck, Cheesy.

Please stop calling him a legend - that he was not. Couple of definitions of legend are megastar,

celebrity, and he was not any of these. No fault of his. Unable to understand why the managers he played under did not have him replaced. IMO these centre half's Willie Telfer, Norrie McWhirter and Mark Fulton are closer to legends not to forget the SCOTTISH CUP teams of 1957 and 1989 and even 1926.

Mutual agreement as far as I know normally means there has been a financial settlement. Two months to go

receive one months wages!. Not bad price for failure.

I wouldn't have said the '89 Scottish Cup side were legends. A nil nil draw at Firhill in the third round followed by a 3-1 defeat at home in the replay! bangin.gif

I wouldn't have said the '89 Scottish Cup side were legends. A nil nil draw at Firhill in the third round followed by a 3-1 defeat at home in the replay! bangin.gif

Or the 1957 side.

Please stop calling him a legend - that he was not. Couple of definitions of legend are megastar,

celebrity, and he was not any of these. No fault of his. Unable to understand why the managers he played under did not have him replaced. IMO these centre half's Willie Telfer, Norrie McWhirter and Mark Fulton are closer to legends not to forget the SCOTTISH CUP teams of 1957 and 1989 and even 1926.

Mutual agreement as far as I know normally means there has been a financial settlement. Two months to go

Why would the cup team's of 57 and 89 be legends? Knocked out at the quarters in 57 and third round in 89!

That would make the semi finalists of the early 80s truly godlike!! :P

Edited by SBS

My mother used to say 'If you cannot say anything good then do not say anything'. The opposite is true for some on here whom I am sure are all brilliant at their jobs and are at the peak of their profession and have never, ever made a mistake at their work.

I'm pleased with this. A clear out is what is needed and might as well get the ball rolling. Hopefully we will see the rest of the deadwood being cut over the next couple of months. It's good that a guy who it seemed was guaranteed a job and a starting place despite his performance, has been one of the first to be cut. Show's real intent for the rebuild to come.

I have colleagues who consistently attract the most difficult or time consuming work, I'm sure everywhere has them, the shit magnets, it isn't a question of their ability just pure dumb luck in the main, cheesy is the footballing equivalent of that, all things being equal he was generally ok and occasionally good, but if there was ever anything untoward going to happen in the defence you can be sure he was always close by, may be out of his depth, may be bad luck, who knows. The lad however, gave his all for the cause whether he was up to it or not and I hope he goes on to have a long career at a level he can succeed at without the abuse he received fro trying to do his best.

I'm pleased with this. A clear out is what is needed and might as well get the ball rolling. Hopefully we will see the rest of the deadwood being cut over the next couple of months. It's good that a guy who it seemed was guaranteed a job and a starting place despite his performance, has been one of the first to be cut. Show's real intent for the rebuild to come.

Would you go as for as a forest clearing. whistling.gif

Best of luck to cheesy, a cup winner and fan who got to live the dream. Always said if he stuck to defending he'd a very good, but he's asked to play from the back and that's his weakest attribute.

Would have been good enough in the championship next year but maybe best to have a clean start for both parties.

All the best cheesy, good luck

Can't blame Marc for having had enough. Irony is dropping down to Championship level, he'd probably do a job for us.

Our captain will be another St Mirren fan to be exiting shortly I would think.

He didn't manage to hold down a starting spot last time he was in tbe championship.

Re our captain... this is the same one being slated week in week out on this very forum for his performance and attitude... yet if he does go... watch tbe wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Kenny McLean was slated constantly... till he was sold at which point he became the Messiah!

Thommo alluded to that in a recent interview.

McGinn is getting pelters just now... a number of people citing attitude as a problem.

Attitude is indeed a problem... the supporters attitude!!!

IIRC we went over this when McAusland returned - there was an injury around the turn of the year and a suspension to account for most of the missed game.

Was merely pointing out that he had more games than BuddieinEK was suggesting.

Edited by pod

Did we not get bumped out the Scottish Cup at the first time of asking in 1989?

He didn't manage to hold down a starting spot last time he was in tbe championship.

Re our captain... this is the same one being slated week in week out on this very forum for his performance and attitude... yet if he does go... watch tbe wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Kenny McLean was slated constantly... till he was sold at which point he became the Messiah!

Thommo alluded to that in a recent interview.

McGinn is getting pelters just now... a number of people citing attitude as a problem.

Attitude is indeed a problem... the supporters attitude!!!

Cheesy was shite!! FACT good serviceman, but poor defender!!

McLean was average!!! Made to look like a messiah as he was playing in the most average saints team in memory!!!

Thommo.... Is pissed off that teale got the job ahead of him, and hasn't tried/given a shit since!!!

Mcginn, looked good when we were doing ok, but given the responsibility of being our talisman has looked out his depth, and decent players, need decent players around them!!

One addition, JG is passionate, but a PL player on current form he is not!!!

McLean was average!!! Made to look like a messiah as he was playing in the most average saints team in memory!!!

Thommo.... Is pissed off that teale got the job ahead of him, and hasn't tried/given a shit since!!!

Mcginn, looked good when we were doing ok, but given the responsibility of being our talisman has looked out his depth, and decent players, need decent players around them!!

Aye, but apart from the aquaducts, roads, sanitation and education, what have St Mirren ever done for us?

Were you not the guy who started the it will soon be back to 4 points gap thread... when we beat County in our game in hand and then beat the team who just gubbed us 5-0?