Buddies On The Tranny

1 minute ago, Slash said:

I find that hard to believe. 

I saw someone else claiming that the other day. It may well be true, however for about half that period (give or take) we'd be in the top flight and he was managing in the Championship.

The availability of statistics today is fantastic. It can certainly be used to identify where things might be going right, or more likely where things are going wrong. 

In this case it's a bit like the possession stats that the modern manager loves to extol. You know, the kind of thing a manager says after his teams been pumped again, and he says we had 55% of the possession. In reality no-one gives a f**k if you had 99% possession of the ball or just 1%, so long as you scored more goals than the opposition and you won the match. In this case win ratios are lovely, but the only real stat that matters is how many points you have in the league, and your league standing. If you're sitting bottom then it's clearly indicative that you've got it horribly wrong and pointing to previous seasons successes ain't going to help save you. 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Froggie said:

Heres the difference between normal people and those in football. Anyone else would be job hunting but Rae is out playing golf. Doubt very much if another cushy football job will come his way however, so better get that CV (lol) updated.

He has apparently expressed an interest in a vacant post dahn saaf.  I reckon he'll be beating clubs off with a stick.

6 hours ago, Sonny said:

I have a wee smile in that Rae dumped Goody on the dole and now Goody is a manager and Rae is on the dole. A lot can change in a short time :)

I had Jim Goodwin as my top man for the last couple of seasons and he remains one of my favourite St Mirren players from the last 25 years. I thought he could have done a job for us for another season or two. I don't however hold a grudge toward Rae for moving Goodwin on when his contract was up. We needed to have a clear out and it was understandable that a 35 year old player who had been a coach and assistant manager in a previous and fairly recent regime might not be wanted by a new management team wanting to build their own team.

I doubt Rae is actually on the dole either... we'll be playing him his full salary until the summer while he enjoys some golf and a few holidays or he takes another job. 

3 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I had Jim Goodwin as my top man for the last couple of seasons and he remains one of my favourite St Mirren players from the last 25 years. I thought he could have done a job for us for another season or two. I don't however hold a grudge toward Rae for moving Goodwin on when his contract was up. We needed to have a clear out and it was understandable that a 35 year old player who had been a coach and assistant manager in a previous and fairly recent regime might not be wanted by a new management team wanting to build their own team.

I doubt Rae is actually on the dole either... we'll be playing him his full salary until the summer while he enjoys some golf and a few holidays or he takes another job. 

He got his media job so he was never going to go on the dole when he left us.

Edited by renfrew

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I take you point and I am not vindictive and take no pleasure in seeing anyone lose their job. Just thought what a reversal in fortunes in such a short time (and of course I am a great admirer of Goody so happy he is getting the chance as a manager).

• 4 months later...

Brilliant feature Danny was shat on,our old board should be ashamed and Tommy Craig is a RAT.

Well done to DL,Thommo and Gary Teale for their honesty.

Chick Young can GTF too with his "my mate Stewart" patter.

Great bit of radio.

Proves once and for all what every supporter of this club already knew. Tommy Craig was a snake.

Shame on the old board who orchestrated that shambles and set the wheels in motion to undo almost all of their own good work with a ludicrous, cheapskate move. A move where we're still trying to recover and may yet not be at the lowest ebb.

Edited by djchapsticks