Clear Out Or Keep

Someone said on Twitter the other week Paul Mathers is also going. Surely we need a goalie coach - especially if we're going with someone as young as Ridgers? Mathers wouldn't have been on that much as he went part-time a few years back.

Maybe the plan is to bring in an experienced keeper as player / coach?

I've seen a few folk mentioning this but haven't seen it anywhere else. Is it definite? Didn't realise you stopped getting injuries when you got relegated.

Someone said on Twitter the other week Paul Mathers is also going. Surely we need a goalie coach - especially if we're going with someone as young as Ridgers? Mathers wouldn't have been on that much as he went part-time a few years back.

Sadlier has played a key part in half the goals we've scored since he arrived...ph34r.pngwhistling.gif

A key part in the one goal plus the most lively in and around the box with some good crosses and build up play.

A key part in the one goal plus the most lively in and around the box with some good crosses and build up play.

He also had a great chance against Motherwell when the score was 1-0, he messed it up, was hooked at half time and dropped for the next game. Not sure what all this hype about him is.... He's looked okay nothing more.

I wouldn't be overly fussed or surprised if we release him but I think he has potential to win a new deal and would like to see him start the next 5 games.

If any of the current squad think they are good enough for the premier league then they need to stop smoking their socks. Championship players at best some of them. Others such as Wylde, Kelly, REILLY (wage thief), wouldn't get a game at junior level. All for bringing through youth but none of them are anywhere near a McAvennie or stark or mcgarvey or even a mcgarry.

you have got Kelly all wrong. He is young and inexperienced in the top league the boy has lost confidence in the top league he will be fine as long as the moaning cunts who think they are Saints fans keep off his back

you have got Kelly all wrong. He is young and inexperienced in the top league the boy has lost confidence in the top league he will be fine as long as the moaning cunts who think they are Saints fans keep off his back

I think being clearly not fit enough is more of a factor of him being rank rotten this season as opposed to 'moaning fans'.

For someone who is a professional 'athlete' his level of fitness is shocking, particularly for someone of his age. It's poor professionalism, which seems endemic round the club this season.

I think being clearly not fit enough is more of a factor of him being rank rotten this season as opposed to 'moaning fans'.

For someone who is a professional 'athlete' his level of fitness is shocking, particularly for someone of his age. It's poor professionalism, which seems endemic round the club this season.

Breathing out his hoop after about 10 minutes, can't even do the basics, hopeless. Edited by JJ McG

He also had a great chance against Motherwell when the score was 1-0, he messed it up, was hooked at half time and dropped for the next game. Not sure what all this hype about him is.... He's looked okay nothing more.

I wouldn't be overly fussed or surprised if we release him but I think he has potential to win a new deal and would like to see him start the next 5 games.

He was not hooked at half time through anything he had done wrong, granted he should have done better with the chance on goal but he was taken off along with Dayton because the rest of the team were unable to get the ball out to the wingers as instructed.

Any changes of opinion after to-day's game?

Naismith and Kelly probably played their best game of the season and should stay. I would be sorry to see Tess go as I think he has been our most consistent player all season. Dayton looked good and controversially so did Wylde! Thommo looked a hell of a lot fitter than he has done but apparently is still suffering an injury. Should an injury-free Thommo be given another chance? And Sadlier did well. And although I have never rated Reilly he at least looked like a half-decent player today.

So anyone changing their opinion?

I think Thommo when fit can do a turn in both leagues,the young lads should be retained and whether we go down or stay up let"s try and give them our support ......sorry great result today but we need a new manager, however it may begged to keep GT as a coach?...but Billy Davies may have

other options !

Kelly was awesome today.

Naismith played well, as did Baird, Mallan, Dayton, Thomson, Sadlier, Tess, Thommo and even Wylde.

I'd keep all of the above, with the exception of Wylde, for whom today's performance mirrors our season - too little, too late.

No real idea where we suddenly pulled that performance from, but it shows that there IS something there.

I don't think a complete clear out is needed.

In order to keep good players the fans have to show up to pay the wages. Today I was entertained for only maybe the 3rd time this year. Today I saw passion and the team looked like a team. In recent months I felt the team looked disjointed. When passing quickly the team did not read each other so the passes went A wall.

Why was there a difference today? Could it be players in preferred positions? If they play like that for the remainder I will be a happy saints fan. All I look for every home game is to walk out feeling I enjoyed the game. I fear it is to late to stay up needed that performance 4 weeks ago but maybe today was the start of building the team for next year.

Every player was great today.

Kelly was awesome today.

Naismith played well, as did Baird, Mallan, Dayton, Thomson, Sadlier, Tess, Thommo and even Wylde.

I'd keep all of the above, with the exception of Wylde, for whom today's performance mirrors our season - too little, too late.

No real idea where we suddenly pulled that performance from, but it shows that there IS something there.

I don't think a complete clear out is needed.

Spot on.

We have the makings of a Championship squad who will finish 3rd or 4th next season.

In order to keep good players the fans have to show up to pay the wages. Today I was entertained for only maybe the 3rd time this year. Today I saw passion and the team looked like a team. In recent months I felt the team looked disjointed. When passing quickly the team did not read each other so the passes went A wall.

Why was there a difference today? Could it be players in preferred positions? If they play like that for the remainder I will be a happy saints fan. All I look for every home game is to walk out feeling I enjoyed the game. I fear it is to late to stay up needed that performance 4 weeks ago but maybe today was the start of building the team for next year.

Every player was great today.

I'll get pelters for this, but the difference was no Goodwin. Jim was at the point where he blamed everyone, was slow, usually launched the ball aimlessly and exposed those around him. He'd occasionally charge in with a tackle and get folks back on board, but someone playing at Auchinleck could do that. Today we had a defence playing their positions and trusting the man next to them, they had a few discussions but nobody was pointing or ranting. Likewise, the midfield played with a bit of freedom and weren't being pulled all over the place

Has to be the same 11 at Partick, Teale has stumbled on a team and the performance has made the tough decision a bloody obvious one. Meanwhile, Jim should take it on the chin like so many other pros have before him.

A few weeks ago I was thinking ...

LET GO : Kello, Cheesy, Genev, Osborne, Wylde, Gow, Ball, Kelly, Reilly, Arquin

KEEP: Naismith, Tess, Dayton, Mallon, McGinn, Sadlier, Thommo

UNSURE: Ridgers, Goodwin,

The rest of the young boys probably keep to see if they improve.

After yesterday there have been a couple of changes in my mind.

Kelly and Reilly move from the LET GO to KEEP. Wylde may also be a KEEP if he can play like he did yesterday in the remaining games.

And Goodwin moves from UNSURE to LET GO. Ridgers from UNSURE to KEEP.

Two substantial differences yesterday -

1. The defence looked the best we have had all season. The personnel changes made the difference. That also had an impact on Ridgers who looked a lot more confident overall with his handling.

2. Thommo looked far fitter than he has been recently and worked really hard yesterday. Gave us a threat up front we have not had since last year. Rumour is that he was still struggling with his injuries. A rest in the summer and a good pre-season and I think he still has a year or two left in him although we cannot rely totally on him.

I know some players may want to leave, loanees return to their clubs etc but after yesterday I now believe we have a core of a half decent squad. If we can replace the players we are letting go with good alternatives then we are at least not too far away.

Yesterday they played as a team and fought as a team. Why did it not happen sooner? I believe personalities had a lot to do with it but whatever let's see if they can still play as a team in the remaining games (or my list may change again :) ).

A few weeks ago I was thinking ...

LET GO : Kello, Cheesy, Genev, Osborne, Wylde, Gow, Ball, Kelly, Reilly, Arquin

KEEP: Naismith, Tess, Dayton, Mallon, McGinn, Sadlier, Thommo

UNSURE: Ridgers, Goodwin,

The rest of the young boys probably keep to see if they improve.

After yesterday there have been a couple of changes in my mind.

Kelly and Reilly move from the LET GO to KEEP. Wylde may also be a KEEP if he can play like he did yesterday in the remaining games.

And Goodwin moves from UNSURE to LET GO. Ridgers from UNSURE to KEEP.

Two substantial differences yesterday -

1. The defence looked the best we have had all season. The personnel changes made the difference. That also had an impact on Ridgers who looked a lot more confident overall with his handling.

2. Thommo looked far fitter than he has been recently and worked really hard yesterday. Gave us a threat up front we have not had since last year. Rumour is that he was still struggling with his injuries. A rest in the summer and a good pre-season and I think he still has a year or two left in him although we cannot rely totally on him.

I know some players may want to leave, loanees return to their clubs etc but after yesterday I now believe we have a core of a half decent squad. If we can replace the players we are letting go with good alternatives then we are at least not too far away.

Yesterday they played as a team and fought as a team. Why did it not happen sooner? I believe personalities had a lot to do with it but whatever let's see if they can still play as a team in the remaining games (or my list may change again smile.png ).

I have held fast this past week when the doom and gloom merchants were all over this site. I always thought it was a case of finding a system that worked with the younger players being given a chance as well.