If We Were To Get New Managment

Both and why not ?

McCoist has the experience of coming through three lower divisions. Apart from that he knows players from each league which is vital for us given our budget for next season as we start a rebuilding programme.

As for Kenny McDowall Celtic did not want to let him go as their youth coach . Walter Smith is on record saying McDowall is one of the best coaches he has ever came across.

If we were interviewing for a new management team i personally think it would be silly not even to listen to what they have to say given their experience. I'm not judging them from what was their last club but what they can bring to the table from lower leagues experience.

Anyway have town other names into the mix , if I was to bet it would be Gary Teale who will be our manager

McCoist's experience of coming through the lower divisions consisted of being personally paid over half of our squad wage budget, at a club who were spending more in wages than two of the lower leagues other teams put together! How does that stand him in good stead for managing at cash strapped St Mirren? When he got as high as the Championship he was about a dozen points off the automatic promotion place by Christmas.

McCoist's experience of coming through the lower divisions consisted of being personally paid over half of our squad wage budget, at a club who were spending more in wages than two of the lower leagues other teams put together! How does that stand him in good stead for managing at cash strapped St Mirren? When he got as high as the Championship he was about a dozen points off the automatic promotion place by Christmas.

I don't agree however one thing is for sure we need change. Yes Gary was thrown into the deep end but his motivation skills clearly did not work and that is a very important part of management . Just hope the board can get their motivation skills going for the sake of all of us connected to the club

The McCoist thing must be the biggest wind up on here in years :-) Gave me a right laugh when I read it.

On GT having another year and not being able to afford to pay him off, can we afford to have him at the helm? The hard core are losing interest, never mind the fair weather fans.The 2 biggest games against Motherwell and Ross County we were utterly devoid of passion, never mind anything else, that is a must for a manger, to be able to motivate his team - even wee angry could do that!

The Jimmy Calderwood shout is a good one, the guys been round the block and I can't see one of his teams performing the way we have done recently.

There's no way Gary Teale should be our manager going into next season. Even allowing for the Tommy Craig factor, as others have said, going into two absolutely vital relegation games, Gary Teale's St Mirren side rolled over and didn't put up a fight. I don't expect Barcelona-esque flair or indeed winning cups, they're a bonus. I do however expect to see my team try a leg and be organised and motivated - especially when the shit is hitting the fan. Gus had us organised and up for it when the going got tough. Gus-esque fight and a bit of pride is the very, very least Gary Teale should have been able to deliver.

We delivered nothing, other than being all over the place and taking it right up the arse from Motherwell and Ross County. We are shocking defensively, offer nothing in midfield without McLean, and couldn't score in a barrel of Neil Doncasters.

Game's a bogey - we need an outside manager without any SMFC baggage to come in, knock the team into some sort of shape and severely kick some arses.

There's no way Gary Teale should be our manager going into next season. Even allowing for the Tommy Craig factor, as others have said, going into two absolutely vital relegation games, Gary Teale's St Mirren side rolled over and didn't put up a fight. I don't expect Barcelona-esque flair or indeed winning cups, they're a bonus. I do however expect to see my team try a leg and be organised and motivated - especially when the shit is hitting the fan. Gus had us organised and up for it when the going got tough. Gus-esque fight and a bit of pride is the very, very least Gary Teale should have been able to deliver.

We delivered nothing, other than being all over the place and taking it right up the arse from Motherwell and Ross County. We are shocking defensively, offer nothing in midfield without McLean, and couldn't score in a barrel of Neil Doncasters.

Game's a bogey - we need an outside manager without any SMFC baggage to come in, knock the team into some sort of shape and severely kick some arses.

I don't fully subscribe to that view. Everyone remembers the game against Falkirk in 2009 as a fantastic performance, however it was only necessary as we put in pathetic displays in the three previous games (although nowhere near as limpless as the other night against Motherwell). Even the week after the Falkirk game we still needed a point to make absolutely sure and we were pathetic against Hamilton. Had they won by three goals we'd have been down - and they had a cracking chance to go 2-0 up that would have had everyone shiting themselves.

If yer auntie had balls she'd be yer uncle etc I know, and you can always argue we won the game that really mattered and the rest is irrelevant. It's one key game more than Teale has managed to get the team up for however there were also months of dross under Gus when you felt the team was sleepwalking towards relegation.

Can't believe a couple of folk have been serious about McCoist. His managerial style seems to be based on the fact they're Rangers so it's inevitable they'll sweep the diddy clubs aside, which started coming a cropper when they started facing some slightly less diddy clubs.

If we change manager (still not convinced we will) it'll be someone already out of work.

Edited by Stu

I don't fully subscribe to that view. Everyone remembers the game against Falkirk in 2009 as a fantastic performance, however it was only necessary as we put in pathetic displays in the three previous games (although nowhere near as limpless as the other night against Motherwell). Even the week after the Falkirk game we still needed a point to make absolutely sure and we were pathetic against Hamilton. Had they won by three goals we'd have been down - and they had a cracking chance to go 2-0 up that would have had everyone shiting themselves. If yer auntie had balls she'd be yer uncle etc I know, and you can always argue we won the game that really mattered and the rest is irrelevant - and it was one key game more than Teale has managed to get the players up for.

Can't believe a couple of folk have been serious about McCoist. His managerial style seems to be based on the fact they're Rangers so it's inevitable they'll sweep the diddy clubs aside, which started coming a cropper when they started facing some slightly less diddy clubs.

I get what you're saying Stu, but while things were sometimes undeniably trouser-troubling under Gus... where did Gary Teale hide his 'Falkirk away' or 'Motherwell 3-2' performances? He came nowhere close.

I don't agree however one thing is for sure we need change. Yes Gary was thrown into the deep end but his motivation skills clearly did not work and that is a very important part of management . Just hope the board can get their motivation skills going for the sake of all of us connected to the club

I feel genuinely sorry for Gary Teale. He got the team playing a lot better in December and January and was unlucky with a run of bad refereeing decisions going against us and we could have taken more than the 10 points from 10 games if a few had been more favourable. He has spoken of the blow of losing Kenny McLean on transfer deadline day and been big enough to point out other managers have had to deal with the same thing happening to them too. In hindsight the McLean transfer has been a major turning point in our season. We lsot our best attacking midfielder, most consistent performer and top scorer at the last minute. Worse still the money made from the deal will mainly have gone into paying off Tommy Craig and offsetting poorer gate receipts due to honking home results and no cup runs. Teale was left to try and bring in replacements for McLean after the window shut. He's being juggling around with formations and starting XI's ever since. I do think however that the way we have bombed again, and the way Teale hasn't really given any of his own signings a consistent run of 90 minutes week in week out means he probably has to go. When Tommy Craig was appointed he went off on holiday and left Teale and Goodwin in charge of dealing with agents and transfer targets while he was away. So they are partly responsible for the dross we signed last summer. As far as Teale's own signings go we have managed to swap Tommy Craig signings who can't score (Caldwell, Marwood, Ball) or Teale signings who can't score (Arquin, Sonupe, Sadlier). In December / January most of us thought it would be hard to balls up a transfer window as badly as we had in the summer but Teale has had a good crack at repeating the feat with his signings in 2015.

I get what you're saying Stu, but while things were sometimes undeniably trouser-troubling under Gus... where did Gary Teale hide his 'Falkirk away' or 'Motherwell 3-2' performances? He came nowhere close.

I did say even doing it for one game is one more than Teale has managed. It took us 50 minutes to turn up against Motherwell that day - and it was two weeks after a pathetic, home display against Dunfermline when a win would have all but sealed safety.

Not to worry though, it's not Teale's job to motivate the players for these games: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/gary-teale-to-use-bill-shankly-motivation-tactics-1-3753145

Edited by Stu

I did say even doing it for one game is one more than Teale has managed. It took us 50 minutes to turn up against Motherwell that day - and it was two weeks after a pathetic, home display against Motherwell when a win would have all but sealed safety.

Not to worry though, it's not Teale's job to motivate the players for these games: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/gary-teale-to-use-bill-shankly-motivation-tactics-1-3753145

Yup - I agree with your post. I was just thinking out loud 'where were/are Teale's equivalent results' to Falkirk away and Motherwell 3-2, not implying anything was amiss in your post!

Honestly running a kids football team would carry more "pressure" than Teale or his muppetts are displaying. KM had a clause, his agent would have exercised it. Can we move on!! BOD didn't sell to Fleetwood did they? KM is not that good and we would still be bottom.

Look at our squad, look at our mood, we tried first 65 mins against Tic, since then the players have not given a monkeys and have given up, including Teale.

Sometimes you need to get worse to get better, Killie 5-0 should do it. We cant have Teale as manager, eh he isn't one, neither was Craig. FFS BOD give us a break!!

I did say even doing it for one game is one more than Teale has managed. It took us 50 minutes to turn up against Motherwell that day - and it was two weeks after a pathetic, home display against Motherwell when a win would have all but sealed safety.

Think you may be getting your seasons mixed up there Stu.

We were in a battle with Dunfermline in 06/07 and had bad result at home against Dunfermline in the run in where we could have settled things but didn't. We actually did have a few good results in that run in ourselves though, especially beating Dundee United at Tannadice where Kirk Broadfoot gave his 10/10 performance.

It was 08/09 where we lost 3-1 at home to Motherwell in the run in where we could have effectively been safe but ended up needing the 2-0 win at Falkirk to seal the deal. Again, though, we had a great win at Fir Park just before the home defeat. Swings and roundabouts.

The run in this season has just been defeat, defeat, defeat. Indeed, its so bad this season that we are effectily down before the main run in has even started!

Edited by nosferatu

I feel genuinely sorry for Gary Teale. He got the team playing a lot better in December and January and was unlucky with a run of bad refereeing decisions going against us and we could have taken more than the 10 points from 10 games if a few had been more favourable. He has spoken of the blow of losing Kenny McLean on transfer deadline day and been big enough to point out other managers have had to deal with the same thing happening to them too. In hindsight the McLean transfer has been a major turning point in our season. We lsot our best attacking midfielder, most consistent performer and top scorer at the last minute. Worse still the money made from the deal will mainly have gone into paying off Tommy Craig and offsetting poorer gate receipts due to honking home results and no cup runs. Teale was left to try and bring in replacements for McLean after the window shut. He's being juggling around with formations and starting XI's ever since. I do think however that the way we have bombed again, and the way Teale hasn't really given any of his own signings a consistent run of 90 minutes week in week out means he probably has to go. When Tommy Craig was appointed he went off on holiday and left Teale and Goodwin in charge of dealing with agents and transfer targets while he was away. So they are partly responsible for the dross we signed last summer. As far as Teale's own signings go we have managed to swap Tommy Craig signings who can't score (Caldwell, Marwood, Ball) or Teale signings who can't score (Arquin, Sonupe, Sadlier). In December / January most of us thought it would be hard to balls up a transfer window as badly as we had in the summer but Teale has had a good crack at repeating the feat with his signings in 2015.

I genuinely fell sorry for us, the fans.

I feel sorry for Thomson , his injury troubles have ruined possibly, his last season in top flight football.

I feel sorry for the BoD to the extent that they have lost the good will built up previously, but they can expect no sympathy for this abysmal season

I feel sorry for Teale, nightmare scenario, but how could he refuse the offer though

I feel sorry for the frustration that players, fans and manager experiences

I feel sorry for the club as a whole , the community and supporters of our club everywhere, cos, we are heading for a period of transition and struggle, a lot of it wont be pretty.

However......

I dont doubt the passion and loyalty of the support though, thats a given in most cases.

I know I'll support St Mirren whatever league they are in, it's kinda what you do as a Buddie

A loss in any league will always sour my beer of a weekend though, that's the twisted gift that keeps, erm , giving

smile.png

Think you may be getting your seasons mixed up there Stu.

We were in a battle with Dunfermline in 06/07 and had bad result at home against Dunfermline in the run in where we could have settled things but didn't. We actually did have a few good results in that run in ourselves though, especially beating Dundee United at Tannadice where Kirk Broadfoot gave his 10/10 performance.

It was 08/09 where we lost 3-1 at home to Motherwell in the run in where we could have effectively been safe but ended up needing the 2-0 win at Falkirk to seal the deal. Again, though, we had a great win at Fir Park just before the home defeat. Swings and roundabouts.

The run in this season has just been defeat, defeat, defeat. Indeed, its so bad this season that we are effectily down before the main run in has even started!

Nah it was my teams I got mixed up - the second "Motherwell" should have been Dunfermline. In 2007 it did take us 50 minutes to get going against Motherwell as we were 2-0 down before we turned up. There were other good displays in the run-in but the Dunfermline one was pathetic.

The only reason I've brought this up is since the Motherwell game the other night people seem to have been subscribing to the view that "This would never have happened under Gus" when in fact it did on a number of occasions. There were also occasions where it didn't happen which is what kept us up. Neither part of that sentence will apply to the current team.

Honestly running a kids football team would carry more "pressure" than Teale or his muppetts are displaying. KM had a clause, his agent would have exercised it. Can we move on!! BOD didn't sell to Fleetwood did they? KM is not that good and we would still be bottom.

Look at our squad, look at our mood, we tried first 65 mins against Tic, since then the players have not given a monkeys and have given up, including Teale.

Sometimes you need to get worse to get better, Killie 5-0 should do it. We cant have Teale as manager, eh he isn't one, neither was Craig. FFS BOD give us a break!!

Don't agree with this.

First off, there was never any reference to a 'clause'. It was a 'gentlemens' agreement' apparently. I said at the time, and say it again, this is f**king laughable coming from a professional football club.

I was lambasted by a few people on here when I suggested that the 11th hour sale of McLean would mark our demise in this league. I think the term I used might even have been disaster. So it transpired. We were ailing at the end of January, but that transaction delivered the fatal blow.

Frankly I will be disappointed if Gary Teale gets the job.

I think he has had to work under very difficult circumstances since taking over and there was an iniial glimmer of hope that he could turn it around, however the team has actually ended up being even WORSE under him than it was under Tommy in my humble opinion.

I've no idea what's went on behind the scenes but the last two performances against Motherwell and County were absolutely unforgiveable.

I also struggle to remove Teale completely from blame for the state of the squad he inherited. He was part of the management team who recruited those players last summer and the players he brought in once he was the manager weren't much better.

I would rather see us break the chain and replace with someone who knows how to get out of that division. Terry Butcher ticks that box for me, Calderwood is another one who I'd be quite happy with.

I couldn't agree more with this post. If Teale gets the job and he gets off to a poor start in his first 6 games the pressure on GT and the BoD would be massive. We need to have a clean slate for next season fresh approach.This is probably and by far the biggest managerial decision the BoD have ever had to make Edited by Dave The Buddie

Off course he would. The idea that he would say yes to Falkirk and no to us is preposterous.

Why would he leave as Falkirk have not sacked a manager since Totten so he has job security and they have stability off the pitch. They are also about equal in the of size club with ourselves. Falkirk still have a chance of getting into the playoffs, winning the Scottish Cup. If neither comes off they will be challenging next season.

If he looked at us he would see a club in transition and instability. The board want out and will we a mass exodus of playing staff

Why would he leave as Falkirk have not sacked a manager since Totten so he has job security and they have stability off the pitch. They are also about equal in the of size club with ourselves. Falkirk still have a chance of getting into the playoffs, winning the Scottish Cup. If neither comes off they will be challenging next season.

If he looked at us he would see a club in transition and instability. The board want out and will we a mass exodus of playing staff

Didn't Falkirk sack Eddie May?

We need a different approach, that's been evident for a long time, however, if the BOD want some continuity for the young players we will be relying on next year and to find Gary something to do for the year remaining on his contract could he not go back to being the number two behind someone with a bit more experience?