Speirs Wharf

RickMcD

A friend of mine was in Glasgow over the weekend and sent me a text including a shot of Speirs Wharf and asked me if I knew it. I'd never heard of it although he mentioned the river which I thought was the Clyde which kind of threw me. I've looked now and it looks pretty impressive. I remember passing Port Dundas on a bus when I was a boy and asking my mother why was it called Port when it was nowhere near the sea and she mentioned something about canals. I'm one of what seems to be a minority on here who have a soft spot for Glasgow and it's great to see this kind of urban redevelopment. It would be great if the Paisley Canal was still there and could be partially reopened. Is Speirs Wharf worth a visit?

A friend of mine was in Glasgow over the weekend and sent me a text including a shot of Speirs Wharf and asked me if I knew it. I'd never heard of it although he mentioned the river which I thought was the Clyde which kind of threw me. I've looked now and it looks pretty impressive. I remember passing Port Dundas on a bus when I was a boy and asking my mother why was it called Port when it was nowhere near the sea and she mentioned something about canals. I'm one of what seems to be a minority on here who have a soft spot for Glasgow and it's great to see this kind of urban redevelopment. It would be great if the Paisley Canal was still there and could be partially reopened. Is Speirs Wharf worth a visit?

Used to live there.

until there was a massive fire thanks to Wet Wet Wet manager and they put it out using the water from the canal which dredged up all sorts of nice bugs and kept the flats empty for about 2 years....great place to live though

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/mystery-of-8m-blaze-fire-chief-says-speirs-wharf-outbreak-was-so-severe-that-cause-may-never-be-known-1.328960

worked there directly after the fire(infact some parts were still smouldering),putting up the steel curtains on the place,a few nice flats,tho contents a wee tad wet n smelly,,nice burger van up road from it,,wouldnt book a day trip,,,,3/10.............whistling.gif ....

anyone needing a review of any of the clydeside/forthclyde canals, quaint little fishing villages or anywhere else for that matter please ask..

details aff the tap o ma heid

Edited by slapamythighs

worked there directly after the fire(infact some parts were still smouldering),putting up the steel curtains on the place,a few nice flats,tho contents a wee tad wet n smelly,,nice burger van up road from it,,wouldnt book a day trip,,,,3/10.............whistling.gif ....

anyone needing a review of any of the clydeside/forthclyde canals, quaint little fishing villages or anywhere else for that matter please ask..

Their website makes it look pretty good and I've now read some good reviews. Seems to be a lot to do there. Have you visited recently?

best fish and chip shop in Glasgow...up the road in Possil...Peters Snacks

I like Glasgow too Rick but why would you want to go and visit a block of flats.....

....ach never mind. Next week I'm off to Rutherglen to a bowls factory to watch lawn bowls being made. I guess I can't really comment on tourist attractions.

Tell you what was good yesterday though - Blackhill Viewpoint at the top of the Clyde Valley but shhh, don't tell anyone else about it

I like Glasgow too Rick but why would you want to go and visit a block of flats.....

....ach never mind. Next week I'm off to Rutherglen to a bowls factory to watch lawn bowls being made. I guess I can't really comment on tourist attractions.

Tell you what was good yesterday though - Blackhill Viewpoint at the top of the Clyde Valley but shhh, don't tell anyone else about it

I've had you on ignore for a long time,Stu but I can't help reading your stuff because (a) I don't know how to block you on my phone, and (B) so many guys take the piss out of you all the time. Speirs Wharf is just a block of flats? It's not quite up with the university student who when asked to do a critique of War and Peace wrote 'It's a nice wee book about Russia', but it's almost that shallow.

I'll grudgingly admit I looked at the Blackhill Viewpoint and will go there some day. Thanks for that. Now could you try and stay out of my road?

Do you mean by quantity or quality? And virtually never a good word to say about St.Mirren. You can't deny that, Shull.

I've been wrong about many subjects on here but my criticism of Gilmour and of the direction St Mirren were faced has been bang on the money. Surely you can't deny that Rick Edited by Stuart Dickson

Do you mean by quantity or quality? And virtually never a good word to say about St.Mirren. You can't deny that, Shull.

Most of his posts are sound. And when he slates St Mirren he backs up his claims.

I may not agree with some of his posts, but I like the cut of his jib.

He takes a lot of stick on here but generally reacts with humour and dignity.