St Mirren In The Petrofac Training Cup 2015/16

Yesterday was a break from the pressures of the league. The players played with a bit more freedom and it showed (regardless of the standard of the opposition). We secured a good result off the back of a very assured performance. This should enhance confidence levels, and the coaches and players will hopefully capitalise on that.

For the above reason alone, playing in this diddy cup could prove to be a more than worthwhile exercise. Add to that the fact that I've enjoyed my weekend more having taken in a good performance by my team, and I have no issue with this competition. Crumbs? Maybe so, but when times are tough, it can be important to savour the positive moments.

My view on the diddy cup is just that, my view. I don't expect anyone to agree with it! I have been to one diddy cup game in my life - this season, and purely because as a break from normal - it was included on my ST. I never went to the finals we reached, so at least I can't be accused of being a Petrofac glory hunter, who only turns out for the big diddy cup final. If it gives the players a break from losing league games, fair enough. If reaching the final actually makes a few bob for the club, fair enough.

I guarantee you one thing though. Parents will tell their kids about Hampden 1987 and Fergie's winner, about the Dundee United offside goal, and about the atmosphere in Paisley that night. Stories will be handed down about beating Celtic and Samson's penalty save, and Newtonnnnnnn! in the final.

There will be fcuk-all of note handed down about Petrofac Training Bells Ramsdens B&Q Challenge Diddy Cup exploits. No open top buses. No podium in County Square. No appearances on the town hall balcony. No DVDs...

Hurrumph! Mr Grumpynuts! Time for a beer!

Edited by pozbaird

My view on the diddy cup is just that, my view. I don't expect anyone to agree with it! I have been to one diddy cup game in my life - this season, and purely because as a break from normal - it was included on my ST. I never went to the finals we reached, so at least I can't be accused of being a Petrofac glory hunter, who only turns out for the big diddy cup final. If it gives the players a break from losing league games, fair enough. If reaching the final actually makes a few bob for the club, fair enough.

I guarantee you one thing though. Parents will tell their kids about Hampden 1987 and Fergie's winner, about the Dundee United offside goal, and about the atmosphere in Paisley that night. Stories will be handed down about beating Celtic and Samson's penalty save, and Newtonnnnnnn! in the final.

There will be fcuk-all of note handed down about Petrofac Training Bells Ramsdens B&Q Challenge Diddy Cup exploits. No open top buses. No podium in County Square. No appearances on the town hall balcony. No DVDs...

Have two, ya ginger whinger!!!!

Maybe no tales to tell the grandkids... but any competitive win for Saints is worth celebrating in my eyes... and winning the whoeverthehellnonamesponsoris trophy is worth celebrating if we ein (and not worth getting upset over if we don't).

Like Drew, I enjoyed seeing my team win... score 4 well worked and finely taken goals... work hard... keep a clean sheet... and play without holding midfielders.

If the no pressure cup allowed Murray to experiment and stumble across the very thing fans have been saying... and it helps him takethe shackles off, then what's not to love?

I've got a DVD of the challenge cup final if you want a copy.whistling.gif

It would be difficult to disagree with any of that, Grumpynutts esq. .

Cannae wait for the Draw tomorrow.

Queens Park in the Semi please, at Hampden.

Peterhead or Livvy in the Final.

And an Open Top Bus Parade to celebrate our Challenge Cup Win along with our Promotion via the Play Offs.

Suppose a Scottish Cup Final win aint out of the question either.

thumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gifthumbup2.gif

My old faither in law came up from Birmingham to go to the Bell's Cup Final in 2005 He still tells anyone who will listen about the great Saints victory and how he shook John Sutton's hand!

Edited by Danny