Vote To Help St Mirren’S Disabled Supporters

That's the Aviva Community link up and running again and we have 230 votes to date with voting open up to 31st May. The site crashed earlier today due to the volume when the club and black and white army put up the link. It doesn't cost any money to vote and each person who registers can vote up to 10 times for our St.Mirren disabled supporters project. With a general election in a few days this is the best way to help people by voting !

That's the Aviva Community link up and running again and we have 230 votes to date with voting open up to 31st May. The site crashed earlier today due to the volume when the club and black and white army put up the link. It doesn't cost any money to vote and each person who registers can vote up to 10 times for our St.Mirren disabled supporters project. With a general election in a few days this is the best way to help people by voting !

Will try again later from my pc.

Tried for 15 mins earlier without luck.

Are disabled football supporters not part of the community ?

It's a bit of a niche market and I wouldn't have thought it was what the kind of funding that is available here would be for.

Don't get me wrong the St Mirren wheelchair users should have an appropriate and comfortable position to view the matches from - but I would have thought the onus for that should be on the business to provide it. St Mirren are a £multi million turnover business, one that pisses away £10,000s every year to pay off shite players and managers that it's recruited. To ask for community funding to help pay for a facility for them for their disabled customers seems a bit much to me.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

It puts them on a par with non-disabled supporters and they can see the game better - and have to watch the same shit we do. They definitely shouldn't be discriminated against - not even in that respect.

I agree - I just don't see why community funding should be drawn down to do it when it's clear that the facility owners - St Mirren - should have a legal responsibility to provide this themselves. The Beatson Cancer Charity got my 10 votes - surely that's a far more worthy cause.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

f**king hell, mate.

Really?

Look they appear to be asking for up to £25,000 to put in a raised enclosure at Greenhill Road so that disabled people plus their friends and family can watch the game from a decent vantage point. How many wheelchair bound St Mirren fans are there? 10? 20? Do we really think that a good use of Arriva's Community Funds would be building this structure at a business facility which has a £multi millions turnover and where the board of directors appear to think nothing of paying out similar amounts of money several times per season to cancel the contracts of football players and managers who were recruited badly?

St Mirren should have incorporated a decent viewing position for these fans in the building of Greenhill Road. The fact that this appears to have been nothing more than an after thought is a disgrace, but REALLY is the best way to deal with that going after some sort of cash grab taking money off blatantly more worthy community causes like the Beatsons?

There is a quote on the video from the secretary of the St.Mirren disabled supporters that says "It's bad enough that we're disabled but to then suffer such a poor view is a disgrace"

Let's vote and help oor ain folk !

By making a cash grab for the kind of funding that is supposed to be earmarked for proper Community Projects?

If you are the Fans Council how about you make a proper representation on behalf of the disabled fans to the Board of Directors and demand that the club fund this facility. That's the proper and right thing to do.

Stuart

Your comments are absolutely fair but will never happen .

There are 23 wheelchair users and we are really proud of the inititiatives of our disabled supporters group including our stewards asking for half

time orders for food and drink.

Let's not rely on the club but support projects which would have a really positive effect on our supporters .

Over to you mate support the Saints or not

Stuart

Your comments are absolutely fair but will never happen .

There are 23 wheelchair users and we are really proud of the inititiatives of our disabled supporters group including our stewards asking for half

time orders for food and drink.

Let's not rely on the club but support projects which would have a really positive effect on our supporters .

Over to you mate support the Saints or not

Come off it - you know I can't and surely if you have any moral values yourself you will know that this is just plain wrong. Just take a few moments to look through some of the real Community Groups on that website that are competing for the same funds. Do our 23 wheelchair users themselves think that their need for an elevated view to watch the football really trumps The Beatsons need to expand their facility at Monklands Hospital so that they can treat an extra 21,000 cancer patients every year? Do they really think their need is greater than that of York and District CAB who are looking for funds to recruit 1 member of staff who will - by their own conservative figures - help over 300 people a year recover over £250,000 worth of benefits for those who are due them? Do they really think that they should get 25 times the funding necessary for all those community gardens, youth teams looking for £1000 for football kits, or a community organisation trying to raise enough money to build an indoor football facility that would be used by up to 8,000 kids per year? If they were to win the money could they really go and collect their cheque without any sense of embarrassment in the face of those organisations that missed out?

There has to be a better way to do this than to cheat so much money from deserving causes by appealing to a football support to back you for no other reason than because it's St Mirren. There also has to be a way of accommodating these fans within the existing structure at a more elevated level without such a large outlay of cash. For example would it not be possible with a bit of concrete and the removal of a number of seats to provide ramped access to at least mid stand level?

I hate to say it,but I'm with the pipefitter on this. Granted it will help the community to build this, in a sense, but to bring it to a Gus McPherson level it would also help a cinema of they got it to build disabled access, but would we be so supportive of that cause? I don't think so, because a cinema is a buainess who's aim is essentially to make profit, as is st mirren. wether it is or not is a different matter but I dont see how community funds should be used to provide something which should have been implemented when the stadium was built a mere 5 years ago or whatever it was.

The project obviously fits Aviva's guidelines otherwise it would not have been accepted and listed.

It's a good chance to help out fellow supporters.

If people prefer to support other projects with their vote that is fair enough but let's not see this descend into another petty argument please.

The project obviously fits Aviva's guidelines otherwise it would not have been accepted and listed.

It's a good chance to help out fellow supporters.

If people prefer to support other projects with their vote that is fair enough but let's not see this descend into another petty argument please.

I wasn't looking for a petty argument. I'm just stating my firmly held belief that this is not something St Mirren should be involved in.

Community groups and charities have a hard enough time fundraising, and there are a lot of very good causes on that Aviva website that really do a lot of good, without businesses with a £multi million annual turnover trying to grab the funds for themselves. There are other, better ways to get this done without the need for depriving more worthy causes.

I'd be very disappointed if this cash grab attempt by the club succeeded thanks to the people on this website voting blindly for it. I say disappointed but I'll hardly be surprised. There isn't a single thing about St Mirren right now that would make me feel good about supporting the club again.

I would ask whomever has submitted this appeal to consider how they would feel if they had to go to collect the cheque knowing that they had denied cancer sufferers the opportunity of treatment at the Beatsons, denied those suffering from brain tumours funding for their support, or denying large quantities of their fellow wheelchair users the opportunity to take part in wheelchair sports just so they can get £25,000 to give to St Mirren to provide 23 of them with the sort of facilities the club should have been legally obliged to have supplied in the first place. Do they not have a conscience?

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Come off it - you know I can't and surely if you have any moral values yourself you will know that this is just plain wrong. Just take a few moments to look through some of the real Community Groups on that website that are competing for the same funds. Do our 23 wheelchair users themselves think that their need for an elevated view to watch the football really trumps The Beatsons need to expand their facility at Monklands Hospital so that they can treat an extra 21,000 cancer patients every year? Do they really think their need is greater than that of York and District CAB who are looking for funds to recruit 1 member of staff who will - by their own conservative figures - help over 300 people a year recover over £250,000 worth of benefits for those who are due them? Do they really think that they should get 25 times the funding necessary for all those community gardens, youth teams looking for £1000 for football kits, or a community organisation trying to raise enough money to build an indoor football facility that would be used by up to 8,000 kids per year? If they were to win the money could they really go and collect their cheque without any sense of embarrassment in the face of those organisations that missed out?

There has to be a better way to do this than to cheat so much money from deserving causes by appealing to a football support to back you for no other reason than because it's St Mirren. There also has to be a way of accommodating these fans within the existing structure at a more elevated level without such a large outlay of cash. For example would it not be possible with a bit of concrete and the removal of a number of seats to provide ramped access to at least mid stand level?

All the other worthy causes you quote should be able to be funded out of what we pay in tax, correct me if i am wrong but shouldn't our tax contributions go towards what the Beatsons are trying to achieve? However in real life we know these Tory, Daily Mail reading bastards like you..! don't give a damn about the NHS or if York gets an additional CAB officer to help people claim the benefits they are entitled to.

And isn't it a bit rich you of all people use The NHS and benefit claimants to back up your argument? I thought you wanted them all machine gunned?

That's now 786 votes supporting the St.Mirren charity initiative to help our disabled wheelchair supporters in just two days !

Thanks to everyone who has voted to support this .

Let's get it to a 1000 !

Voting is open until 31st May at the Aviva Community Fund

Search under "disabled supporters appeal " and use your 10 votes to help our wheelchair using supporters

I wasn't looking for a petty argument. I'm just stating my firmly held belief that this is not something St Mirren should be involved in.

At least the project's bid for funding, if successful, will allow you to update your profile note SUPPORT GRASSROOTS FOOTBALL - NOT HOT AIR FILLED VANITY BALLOONS to something a little more relevant!

Still, he goes on....

...Look its a bit of CSR out of the marketing budget of a giant insurance company. It is exactly the type of project St Mirren supporters groups should be looking to benefit from.

Well done to all involved so far.

Stud while I agree that at the time of the construction the club should have constructed better facilities for the disabled fans however they didn't. The fact that they never considered them then it's unlikely that they would consider them now. That's the only bit I agree with you on your point the remainder of it is straight from a man with no morals and who wishes to play God on who should be the selection of worthy causes

Let's start with the actual money. They money is only being presented to minimise tax that should be used for other causes and secondly free (sorry tax payers) publicity. What is morally wrong is holding a competition to decide which little money is distributed from 3261 groups. All these groups are as worthy as each other. Most of these groups are as important as each other.

You deliberately and unwisely picked Beatson to prove your point.. All these charities / organisations are fantastic. The last thing they need is for someone like you championing there cause is some vain attemp to prove a point on a shitty wee forum.

To come on here and advise a disabled person that there initiative is less worthy than someone else's is disgusting. You like me know nothing about these people or there struggles. However at least have a bit of common decency and support them especially when all they asked was for you to press a button for them

Stud while I agree that at the time of the construction the club should have constructed better facilities for the disabled fans however they didn't. The fact that they never considered them then it's unlikely that they would consider them now. That's the only bit I agree with you on your point the remainder of it is straight from a man with no morals and who wishes to play God on who should be the selection of worthy causes

Let's start with the actual money. They money is only being presented to minimise tax that should be used for other causes and secondly free (sorry tax payers) publicity. What is morally wrong is holding a competition to decide which little money is distributed from 3261 groups. All these groups are as worthy as each other. Most of these groups are as important as each other.

You deliberately and unwisely picked Beatson to prove your point.. All these charities / organisations are fantastic. The last thing they need is for someone like you championing there cause is some vain attemp to prove a point on a shitty wee forum.

To come on here and advise a disabled person that there initiative is less worthy than someone else's is disgusting. You like me know nothing about these people or there struggles. However at least have a bit of common decency and support them especially when all they asked was for you to press a button for them

I'm not in the slightest bit bothered about how you view me, but your attempt at justifying a £25000 cash grab for funding meant for community charities, to improve the business premises of a company with a £multi million annual turnover, certainly leaves me to think your morality is more than a bit skewed.

Your post also proves that you didn't comprehend the fact that I had said that wheelchair users should be legally entitled to similar facilities as able bodied people and that the company should pay for those improvements.

The idea that St Mirren look to charity funding for this whilst regularly paying off the contracts of players and managers is utterly ridiculous.

Edited by Stuart Dickson