Kieran Sadlier Leaves (Updated Title)

Thats not the case at all Windae, despite his early season & reserve team form in games & training, to everyones surprise (asst Mgr & players) the manager has not given him a chance, he had the option to join Sligo on loan but opted to move permanently and the expectation is that he will be one of the stand out players in the LOI and from there have a lot of choice of clubs going forward. He is still very young & lot of football in front of him.

I admire your faith in your son. However, looking at it from the outside the facts are:

He is 22 this year and has never made an impact in senior football. He has had 4 clubs in the last year and it hasn't really worked out for him at any of them. Surely there has to be a point where you stop blaming circumstances at the clubs? Like he never got a chance at West Ham, wasn't fit at St Mirren, never got a chance at Peterborough, Halifax were playing defensive football.... etc.

As with any former players I hope he does well and wish him success at Sligo. I also think it's fair to say that most players who haven't made some kind of impact in the senior game by the time they're 21 won't go on to have a successful career in the game. Maybe Kieran will be one of the few that does, we can only wait and see.

I admire your faith in your son. However, looking at it from the outside the facts are:

He is 22 this year and has never made an impact in senior football. He has had 4 clubs in the last year and it hasn't really worked out for him at any of them. Surely there has to be a point where you stop blaming circumstances at the clubs? Like he never got a chance at West Ham, wasn't fit at St Mirren, never got a chance at Peterborough, Halifax were playing defensive football.... etc.

As with any former players I hope he does well and wish him success at Sligo. I also think it's fair to say that most players who haven't made some kind of impact in the senior game by the time they're 21 won't go on to have a successful career in the game. Maybe Kieran will be one of the few that does, we can only wait and see.

Note to Ditto, please don't be offended by this sanctimonious nonsense or indeed consider it typical of saints fans. i think it was mean-spirited to resurrect the thread with a "told you so" kind of post.

If you look at the first sentence, he starts off by offering a platitude then completely discounts it with his referrence to the "facts". That says an awful lot.

We all know that you have a much better idea of what the facts really are than this guy does. My interpretation of the facts is that your son spent a few years in the youth system at a really big club and got so far without making a breakthrough-no shame in that at all. He has then tried to get himself into the mix by taking the brave decision to move on and build some game time and a reputation-unfortunately for him some of that was at a team that was really in the mire and certainly not the place for a kid like Kieran to reset the career button (St Mirren). He has been at that for how long? maybe a year or so? Not really a good referrence period for someone who has several years to make up in terms of game time and pitching himself against better opponents than he is used to.

Most buds agree that Kieran has potential and that will only be realised by playing at as high a level as he can get into-it is a hard business to break into and it looks like he has had the bad luck to encounter some dodgy

people at Halifax. The only negative that should be offered is that at 22 he needs to get his skates on, but you all knew that anyway. Most saints fans will agree that Kieran has the makings of a really good player and hope he thrives in Sligo. Most of us buds will be rooting for him-as long as he doesn't pop up in an opposing side.

What an absolute fanny.

Yeah, I'd far rather have had Sadlier than Gow.

Worth remembering though that Murray didn't straight out bin Sadlier, he offered both him and Thomas Reilly the chance to come back and win a contract in pre-season as he didn't know a great deal about either player (although that suggests he knew about Gow...). Reilly took up the chance, Sadlier didn't.

In terms of assessing our squad in the close season with lots of players out of contract the first thing Ian Murray did was offer deals to 2 old pals he had played with: serial under achiever Alan Gow and injured and out of form and going to be 37 this season Steven Thompson. He then moved to bring in Scott Agnew from his previous club to give him the chance to step up to full time football at the age of 28.

Hmm, and to think I was subjected to abuse because I questioned why this thread was being resurrected. It was a pointless exercise that has little relevance to where St Mirren are now, and has just brought a young, former player back under examination when it has hee haw to do with us. Fair play to the lad's old man for stepping back in, but should he really have to do that?

Drew you could have just skipped past and said nothing. If your not interested in former players then why click in?

I enjoy hearing about the careers of former players especially since at our level they normally dont make the papers.

For the record im not having a go mate.

Fair enough, but why dig it up to highlight the fact that the lad hasn't been successful at another club. Seems a bit mean spirited and unnecessary to me.

Fair enough, but why dig it up to highlight the fact that the lad hasn't been successful at another club. Seems a bit mean spirited and unnecessary to me.

Yeah i get it 100%. I hope he goes on to do well. Theres a few ex players id love back.

On a brighter note.. i was in Crocotile yesterday and the guy said "you a stmirren fan?" We have one of your players in at the till. I asked who and he said "alan gow, he is doing his whole house up. Go and see him" I said "naw! If i shook his hand it would probably break n put him out for another 2 years"

Im glad he is spending his well earned wisely though looks as though he is settled here... Damn!

Note to Ditto, please don't be offended by this sanctimonious nonsense or indeed consider it typical of saints fans. i think it was mean-spirited to resurrect the thread with a "told you so" kind of post.

If you look at the first sentence, he starts off by offering a platitude then completely discounts it with his referrence to the "facts". That says an awful lot.

We all know that you have a much better idea of what the facts really are than this guy does. My interpretation of the facts is that your son spent a few years in the youth system at a really big club and got so far without making a breakthrough-no shame in that at all. He has then tried to get himself into the mix by taking the brave decision to move on and build some game time and a reputation-unfortunately for him some of that was at a team that was really in the mire and certainly not the place for a kid like Kieran to reset the career button (St Mirren). He has been at that for how long? maybe a year or so? Not really a good referrence period for someone who has several years to make up in terms of game time and pitching himself against better opponents than he is used to.

Most buds agree that Kieran has potential and that will only be realised by playing at as high a level as he can get into-it is a hard business to break into and it looks like he has had the bad luck to encounter some dodgy

people at Halifax. The only negative that should be offered is that at 22 he needs to get his skates on, but you all knew that anyway. Most saints fans will agree that Kieran has the makings of a really good player and hope he thrives in Sligo. Most of us buds will be rooting for him-as long as he doesn't pop up in an opposing side.

Just looked back at this forum and cannot believe the response my most recent post has had, however that aside, your summary above is bang on the money, Kieran now has the platform, with a manager who loves him to perform and push his career on, at 21 he now needs to be playing regularly. To be honest Kieran has always been a late developer and even now only a few months on he is physically so much bigger and quicker, you never know one day he might don the black and white of ST Mirren again, personally I would love that, my wife and I loved coming up there to the ground to watch the games, not sure about place like KIllie, Hamilton or M'Well however, did not enjoy going to those stadiums so much!

To be honest I tried to encourage him to come back up to St Mirren in the summer, but he found the off field down time with no one really around to spend time with all a bit too much so opted to come back down south to England. That all said, he still has fond memories of the place and loved being at the club and he still follows your results and speaks regularly with some of the players still there.

Thank you for your supportive words and good luck for the rest of the season, maybe see you all again some day!

Lets do that TC, lets wait and see, but thanks for your views, interesting to say the least!

Lets do that TC, lets wait and see, but thanks for your views, interesting to say the least!

"Interesting" is one word.

Please do keep us posted on his progress. I wish him nothing but success in his chosen career and truly hope he can continue to develop and realise the potential he has.

He came to Saints in one of our lowest periods for many a year.

That he survived it without mental scars and still wishes us well says a lot for him!

Give him my kind regards and thanks for his efforts.

Amen.

Well said, Brother Beyond!

;)

Just looked back at this forum and cannot believe the response my most recent post has had, however that aside, your summary above is bang on the money, Kieran now has the platform, with a manager who loves him to perform and push his career on, at 21 he now needs to be playing regularly. To be honest Kieran has always been a late developer and even now only a few months on he is physically so much bigger and quicker, you never know one day he might don the black and white of ST Mirren again, personally I would love that, my wife and I loved coming up there to the ground to watch the games, not sure about place like KIllie, Hamilton or M'Well however, did not enjoy going to those stadiums so much!

To be honest I tried to encourage him to come back up to St Mirren in the summer, but he found the off field down time with no one really around to spend time with all a bit too much so opted to come back down south to England. That all said, he still has fond memories of the place and loved being at the club and he still follows your results and speaks regularly with some of the players still there.

Thank you for your supportive words and good luck for the rest of the season, maybe see you all again some day!

Ditto, fair play - keep on supporting your boy and ignore the negative comments on here. Most people are probably jealous as the closest they got to playing football professionally is on a games console.

Thats not the case at all Windae, despite his early season & reserve team form in games & training, to everyones surprise (asst Mgr & players) the manager has not given him a chance, he had the option to join Sligo on loan but opted to move permanently and the expectation is that he will be one of the stand out players in the LOI and from there have a lot of choice of clubs going forward. He is still very young & lot of football in front of him.

You have took that the wrong way

The poster said he would have regrets now not signing for us instead of Peterbough

Whatever reason he's now not playing at Peterbough but he won't have struggled here if he had stayed.

Every player has struggled here especially under Murray

Best of luck to your boy

You have took that the wrong way

The poster said he would have regrets now not signing for us instead of Peterbough

Whatever reason he's now not playing at Peterbough but he won't have struggled here if he had stayed.

Every player has struggled here especially under Murray

Best of luck to your boy

Your right I did take it the wrong way, thanks for clarifying Windae.