Redundancies

Goodwin was our best player this season (apart from Kenny)

And as the song goes.... That's why you're going down.

Sorry!

In all seriousness, if Goodwin was your best player, there is something seriously wrong, because he is f'in honking! I'd struggle to name another player so unaware of his position on the park. In the middle of the park he'd go jumping into challenges, leaving gaps behind him. At centre half he'd just f**k off for a wee wander leaving his partner up shit creek.

He's too slow for midfield which is/was his best position and he's not good enough to play central defence, it's not his natural position and it shows. I do however think he should get a game against Motherwell because that will be our last home game. Gary Teale has near enough stated that he will go with youth if given the job, i think that the board will be more than happy to offload the higher earners at the club like Goodwin.

Make no mistake Jim Goodwin is the experienced player we need next season he should loyalty no signing for Hibs he has been captain in a cup winning team. He is a player we could not replace next season. A leader and a player who loves the club it would be NUTS to let him go.

Do you know this for definite?

With the Tommy Craig management team debacle we do not know with him going back down to just a player what his contract situation is as to whether he is contracted for another year or not. I would guess that it was renegotiated like Teale's who has a contract as manager to the end of the season. Whether Teale has provision to go back to coach for the other year with someone else in charge or whether the managers contract supercedes the coaching contract will become clearer in the next couple of weeks.

Well given no new contract details were announced I would say not.

Why would Goodwin agree to a two year deal being reduced to a one year deal during the season?

He certainly may cut a deal and leave on a mutual consent agreement, but he won't be out of contract.

Goodwin was our best player this season (apart from Kenny)

I would be very disappointed if Jim wasn't part of the set up next season!!!

This is true of course, and it was reflected in the fans poll in this websites POTY.

Goodwin had several good games at the back. Of course he had many poor games aswell, but so did every single player in our squad.

Edited by TopCat

This is true of course, and it was reflected in the fans poll in this websites POTY.

Goodwin had several good games at the back. Of course he had many poor games aswell, but so did every single player in our squad.

Would agree, I think his best position is at the back now and think he could be an important part of the defence next season.

As you've also said, he has been poor at times but overall he's been decent and always shows a bit of fight.. Something we've been horribly lacking this season.

Well given no new contract details were announced I would say not.

Why would Goodwin agree to a two year deal being reduced to a one year deal during the season?

He certainly may cut a deal and leave on a mutual consent agreement, but he won't be out of contract.

This. Goodwin and Teale both signed two year contracts in the summer. The roles they carry out may have changed since then but they are still two year contracts. Goodwin said in the last few weeks that he has a contract next season. Teale said a few months ago he was under contract next season and still expects to be at the club.

The surprise absence of Goodwin since he completed his suspension suggests he's out the picture or he's the latest victim of some training ground "banter" that ends in a hospital visit. Unless he has a clause in his contract we'd need to pay him off. Maybe we've told him he's free to find a new club and we're hoping he'll go for free. If he's out the picture, fair enough, however it's going to cost us.

And if we don't want Teale about we're going to have to pay him too as he's under contract. One possible option is what we do what Dunfermline have done. They put coach John Potter in charge until the end of the season after Jim Jeffries left. As they comically failed to make the play-offs they decided the pumpkin shitter wasn't the man for him, however he's still under contract and they can't afford to pay him off so he's going back to being a coach again.

Goodwin in a Tommy Turner role between Naismith and Kelly would be a very solid back 3 for the Championship imo.

Tommy Turner was a better footballer and had more composure and knew his strengths.

Goody is a warrior and can play only the one way go and attack the ball and cannot play at the back in the heart of a defence.

He leaves far too much space behind him and cannot get back

He's a sitting midfield player or maybe right back nowhere else on the pitch

I'm astonished so many of our fans think Goodwin had a good season.

For me he was an absolute liability, right from the very first game of the season when he stupidly got himself sent off. That was arguably as well as I saw us play all season and he completely screwed it up for us with a moment of utter stupidity.

He managed to get retrospectively suspended for elbowing a Dundee Utd player. We were 3-0 down at the time and that cost us his services for a further 3 games.

Granted once he came back he screwed the nut and wasn't bad but for me he is distinctly average at Centre Half. His best position was in the holding midfield role and frankly most games passed him by this season on the rare occasion he did manage to get a game in there.

His season was summed up for me in the Ross County game where he cost us all three goals and also played a big part in the red card as it was him who played the County player onside. Watch this again closely and see for yourself;

As a cup winning captain I'll always respect Jim Goodwin, but his time at the club is up IMO.

For me he was an absolute liability, right from the very first game of the season when he stupidly got himself sent off. That was arguably as well as I saw us play all season and he completely screwed it up for us with a moment of utter stupidity.

He managed to get retrospectively suspended for elbowing a Dundee Utd player. We were 3-0 down at the time and that cost us his services for a further 3 games.

Granted once he came back he screwed the nut and wasn't bad but for me he is distinctly average at Centre Half. His best position was in the holding midfield role and frankly most games passed him by this season on the rare occasion he did manage to get a game in there.

His season was summed up for me in the Ross County game where he cost us all three goals and also played a big part in the red card as it was him who played the County player onside. Watch this again closely and see for yourself;

As a cup winning captain I'll always respect Jim Goodwin, but his time at the club is up IMO.

Excellent post.

We need a keeper, so I hope Ridgers stays. Sadlier, Kelly, Naismith, McGinn, Baird, Mallan and a couple of the other kids have promise and a bit of experience now, so I hope all the young kids stay. Dayton looks like he cares, so I hope he stays.

Everyone else, including everyone who has been part of short-lived managerial teams, possible dressing room cliques, and/or noses out of joint for being overlooked and/or bumped up to a coaching role, then bumped back down..... I wouldn't keep.

We need a clear out. We need to rebuild under new ownership and management, with a core of kids who can hopefully keep us in the Championship for five or so seasons until we have indeed rebuilt the club into something approaching one that is run progressively from the top down and we can move forward. If this does indeed mean us being a Championship club for at least five seasons - I can accept that. Then look forward to the next St Mirren side that resembles a 'Lavety & Yardley' style one.

This one is finished. It needs wound up and completely dismantled.

You have a simple view of football where its all about fast players in lots of space dribbling around isolated defenders...

That isn't actually what happens in games!

Hilarious. Ok i was being kind about Jim before, he's not a great player but when he had a bit more pace he was a great spoiler. If anyone thinks he's a good defender, i have to disagree.

Agree with a lot of that. His actions in the humpings by Motherwell and Ross County reminded me of David Luiz when Brazil were getting gubbed by Germany last summer. Ran about making various pained facial expressions and the odd gesture in a bid to show the fans he cared and was hurting when he was as culpable as anyone for the disaster unfolding in front of our eyes.

Excellent post.

Excellent post my arse....... Arselicker.

First of all I don't think anyone has said he had a good season, McLean apart he was

probably the best of a bad lot.

Of course he's distinctly average at centre half, if he was any better he wouldn't be

playing for us. when was the last decent CH we had, Cuthbert? Haining? certainly

none in the last 4 or 5 seasons.

At the very least he plays with some fire in his belly and didn't spit the dummy out when

told he no longer had a coaching role which I think many people forget, and unlike some

other so called hero who's hardly put in a decent shift while playing with his face tripping

him all season.

At the very least he plays with some fire in his belly and didn't spit the dummy out when

told he no longer had a coaching role which I think many people forget, and unlike some

other so called hero who's hardly put in a decent shift while playing with his face tripping

him all season.

Wouldn't be too sure about that. Why do you think he's not even featuring on the bench now, given that he's fit and free from suspension?

I would think something has certainly happened behind the scenes.

Excellent post my arse....... Arselicker.

First of all I don't think anyone has said he had a good season, McLean apart he was

probably the best of a bad lot.

Of course he's distinctly average at centre half, if he was any better he wouldn't be

playing for us. when was the last decent CH we had, Cuthbert? Haining? certainly

none in the last 4 or 5 seasons.

him all season.

Excellent post C _B.