St. Mirren Looking For A New Manager

Get your salt n pepper ready.

Didn't the board issue a similar statement after chucking Danny only to instal one half of the Still game duo as manager?

Completely different. This would be like relieving Danny of his duties only to reappoint him.

If they wanted Teale as manager, they'd have offered him the deal for his remaining contracted year. No statement, no hassle, no applicants, no fuss.

Teale will be the new assistant manager in my opinion. He still has a year's contract I believe and we can maybe afford a Manager but doubt we can afford a complete new backroom squad. The new Manager will have to agree to take Gary on for at least a year.

Board release statement

There is no getting away from the fact that this has been a difficult and disappointing season for everyone connected with St Mirren Football Club culminating in what will be a 12th place finish and relegation to the Championship.

As a Board of Directors we have always made what we believed to be the best decisions for the good of the Club. This season, unfortunately, we have got some of those decisions wrong, and we hold our hands up and accept responsibility.

One of the reasons we all love football is that it moves on quickly and as a Club we have to do the same and start the rebuilding process immediately. So rather than spend the next few months dealing with the recriminations we will look to the future and start this process from today.

The first step on this road is the appointment of a new manager. We are now inviting applications from managers interested in managing this great club with first class facilities and excellent young players. The Board would like to place on record our thanks to both Gary Teale and David Longwell for taking over the reigns after Tommy Craigs departure and whilst the job of avoiding relegation proved to be a step too far their commitment, effort and endeavour has been there for all to see. We would expect Gary to put his name forward for the vacant managers position and we will duly consider his application along with all others we receive.

In other words:

We're going to make a pretence of looking at other candidates then we'll appoint the cheap option! GT

In other words:

We're going to make a pretence of looking at other candidates then we'll appoint the cheap option! GT

Unfortunately for them, they can't use the same old 'confident we've got the right man' line, though Auld pishy breeks was at least part of a successful management team. Teale hasn't been a success as our gaffer and for that reason they can't pull the wool over our eyes with that excuse for two seasons running.

If St Mirren's next manager is Gary Teale, I will eat Paddy Ashdown's hat live on TV.

And I will eat my socks.........................

Kidding apart the board have made, and admitted, mistakes this season.

Appointing Teale would be beyond belief so I'll bet on anyone apart from Teale.

Edited by faraway saint

So, you're the St Mirren BoD. You can't sell the club despite trying for five years. For the first time, you are getting it in the neck despite a dribble of petrol still in the 'we saved the club' tank. You made a cnut of it by appointing Tommy Craig, you took far too long to bag him. You say you want a wheeler-dealer, then simply bump up his assistant. You see the club meekly relegated under Gary Teale's stewardship. So what is your next move? Answer - you make a statement outlining your disappointment at the situation, open up for candidates to apply.......

Then.... you appoint Gary Teale, and are pictured shaking hands with your new gaffer before urging fans to buy season tickets.

Is the absurdity of this registering with anyone? Even allowing for the fact this is the St Mirren BoD.

If this happens, I really might keel over with shock.

Edited by pozbaird

A proper application and interview process this time, please.

Have no idea who will apply let alone who will get it to be honest. Could be some unheard of Argentine, could be Gary Teale.

Shall be an interesting summer either way.

The numbers rumoured to have applied for the Motherwell job shows there's plenty of folk out there looking for work. It's the time of year when clubs are changing managers so there could be folk from down south - managers or coaches - who fancy a go at it.

If we avoid the route most folk are expecting - Stark, Calderwood etc - it really could be anyone. Who'd have thought when Craig got the boot Jamie Fullarton would put his name forward?

Teale had his opportunity. Let's not forget he signed several players in January and hardly gave any of them a game. Time for a whole new management team.

The BoD have held their hands up and finally communicated to us, which we all wanted. So it's time to look forward and start our next chapter.

Teale will be the new assistant manager in my opinion. He still has a year's contract I believe and we can maybe afford a Manager but doubt we can afford a complete new backroom squad. The new Manager will have to agree to take Gary on for at least a year.

Considering Gary reckoned that he had done enough to keep the job , in an interview at the weekend and also considering that , wee Anxious said that he would be interested in the post , are you thinking that wee Anxious will be back with Gary as his assistant. .

Good statement from the BoD IMO.

Admitting they have made mistakes so in that regard I don't think Teale has a hope of getting the job.

For some reason, I can see a billy Reid or Derek Adams type getting it, both experienced championship managers, Reid has good record working with youth....both absolute scrotums though

Good statement from the BoD IMO.

Admitting they have made mistakes so in that regard I don't think Teale has a hope of getting the job.

For some reason, I can see a billy Reid or Derek Adams type getting it, both experienced championship managers, Reid has good record working with youth....both absolute scrotums though

I don't think I could handle Reid and his football 'style'.

We knew GT was only appointed on a temporary basis until the end of the season so nothing new really.

I hope the board take their time a bit more and look through the applications, this appointment is crucial. Last summers decision could already have cost us a few years of top flight football.

I totally agree with you. I seriously think that Campbell Money would do a decent job. He has experience of management and also youth development.

Reading the thread I feel I'm one of the few who is happy the board have actually made a statement, better late than never. They accept they got things wrong, I'm happy with that as well, accepting again a little late. Sometimes they just can't win (wait for the backlash).

It might not please everyone but we do need to move on, try and focus on the positive. I really can't see GT getting the gig and I really don't have a clue who will, but that's something to look forward to, the views of the forum, the speculation, whoever it is we'll give them a chance.

We've got two new kits to look forward to, they really can't be any worse than this years, can they ?

I look forward to the youngsters, I feel it really is a good opportunity for them next season, and finally a few derby games.

It's been one of the worst seasons I can remember, as long as we don't have black socks next season we'll be back on track.

I fully expect Stuart Dickson to get the job. Assisted by Cap'n Sensible/Mr Optimistic/Nosferatu......

Two cheeks of the same arse.......

I thought you were getting it. I heard your odds were slashed.

My best effort this week, come on, cut an old ginger guy some slack!