St. Mirren Looking For A New Manager

Would george burley be interested in getting back into the game at our level? I always thought he tried to play attacking football with Scotland and got a bit of a rough deal cos of the wee glasgow ned and his pals. Good record with hearts and took Ipswich into Europe with an exciting young team. Preparing to be shot down! And prob wouldn't touch us.

George Burley is one of my heroes in the game. A fantastic footballer and a hell of a decent guy and I'd love nothing more than to see him back managing a football club. However since his time at Hearts where he was dismissed after reportedly refusing to attend and alcoholics clinic abroad in the middle of the season, he's been dogged with rumours of his drinking. Indeed at Limassol he lasted only two matches with the Club President having to move to dispel rumours that it was because Burley had been spending too much time enjoying the local hospitality.

I was at the Scotland v Holland game in 2009, which was (from memory) Burley's last qualifier in charge of the team. We were absolutely terrific that night, should have won the game. In some periods of play, we passed Holland off the park. One of the best Scotland performances (barring the result) of recent times. Could do a lot worse than him.

Yeah I remember that game, played an attacking line up with 3 up front (when we had the ball anyway) and but for a late slip by a 47 year old davie weir we would have got a deserved draw

Yep. Think we hit the post and just shot wide a few times.

I would like the club to go down the Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink route. A well known ex-pro, who has been there, done that as a player but needs to be given a chance in coaching. They will also have great contacts. Edited to add- Wasn't Patrick Kluivert interested on the Ross County job??

Edited by 17/03/13

I would like the club to go down the Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink route. A well known ex-pro, who has been there, done that as a player but needs to be given a chance in coaching. They will also have great contacts

Like Gary Teale?

I would like the club to go down the Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink route. A well known ex-pro, who has been there, done that as a player but needs to be given a chance in coaching. They will also have great contacts. Edited to add- Wasn't Patrick Kluivert interested on the Ross County job??

I think it was more Ross County were interested in him.

At the turn of the year I'd have liked an experienced person brought in to try to save us. Now that we're going down and we have a clean slate it's not quite as big an issue throwing a rookie manager in, although it would be good if they had an experienced assistant.

The Championship was won last season by a manager in his first season with an experienced director of football. Second went to a rookie manager (no idea about his coaching staff). Fourth went to a rookie manager with no assistant all. Putting in someone with no managerial is pot luck but it can work out.

We're a great opportunity for someone looking to make their mark in management and I wouldn't be surprised if there are some unexpected names thrown into the mix. After all, Kluivert supposedly applied for the County job and Winston Bogarde was interested in going to Motherwell.