St. Mirren Looking For A New Manager

The new manager will be appointed within the next week according to Stewart.He also said clearly relegation is not as bad as it used to be due the fairer distribution of cash.So the picture is rosy we have a good crop of youngsters and Stewart stated that the squad will be augmented with s few experienced pros.We renewed our Season Tickets before the Well match and I am now really looking forward to the new season.COYS.

I'm looking forward to it as well. Definitely be facing two from Sevco/Hibs/Well, plus Falkirk, Queens, Morton and Danny's Wasps.

Good games to look forward to. I still reckon we will finish fifth though. If we are competitive, see some good games, get rid of any egos, cliques and dressing room noses out of joint, and see signs of life under new management - and I do mean NEW management, I'd be happy enough with fifth.

We may need to go backwards before going forwards, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

You are not factually correct.

We weren't bottom of the table when he was appointed.

He was second in command to Tommy Craig and had a responsibility for the position we were in, therefore he wasn't thrown in at the deep end, he was already in the pool.

The patter about it was someone else to blame cause he couldn't sign the players he wanted was the same patter Tommy Craig had.

You are not factually correct.

We weren't bottom of the table when he was appointed.

He was second in command to Tommy Craig and had a responsibility for the position we were in, therefore he wasn't thrown in at the deep end, he was already in the pool.

The patter about it was someone else to blame cause he couldn't sign the players he wanted was the same patter Tommy Craig had.

Kendo I did not write we were bottom of the table.

Some people don't seem to understand what an assistant managers roll is.

I have an assistant - he is employed to assist me implement my system and take charge in my absence. If he is not working to my system then I ask for him to be replaced. An assistant manager does not over rule the manager in decision matters.

If he is not working to my system then I ask for him to be replaced.

Mind though - tell him he's perfectly free to apply again and you'll give his application every consideration alongside the others.

Edited by pozbaird

Kendo I did not write we were bottom of the table.Some people don't seem to understand what an assistant managers roll is.I have an assistant - he is employed to assist me implement my system and take charge in my absence. If he is not working to my system then I ask for him to be replaced. An assistant manager does not over rule the manager in decision matters.

No you didn't say we were bottom of the table, but you did say we were heading for relegation at 100 mph when actually Ross County were in a far worse state.

We ended up signing their reject striker.

Simmer down mate. Judicious use of the edit button is not to be underestimated.

Which brings me onto this mess...

What did I expect? I expected the team - especially our senior pros - to look like they gave a tiny f**k in the games that actually mattered. Teale failed to motivate anybody for crunch games despite holding a position of strength when he took over.

I can't even decipher the bit in bold.

Will make it easier for you mate.

We are relegated officially

Gary Teale then tinkers with the team bringing in more youth for the remaining games to give the youth experience.

We play Kilmarnock who have to win but don't

We play Roos County who have to win but don't

We play Motherwell who have to win but don't

My money is on us beating Hamilton.

Now while these games mean nothing to us they are against teams who have to fight for survival who should over run us with our young team , but don't.

Hope that is easier for you to understand mate

We had hee haw to play for

No you didn't say we were bottom of the table, but you did say we were heading for relegation at 100 mph when actually Ross County were in a far worse state.

We ended up signing their reject striker.

Not when you consider the run Ross County went on they steam rolled up the league in fact did they not put together the second best run in the league of the season :

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

Will make it easier for you mate.

We are relegated officially

Gary Teale then tinkers with the team bringing in more youth for the remaining games to give the youth experience.

We play Kilmarnock who have to win but don't

We play Roos County who have to win but don't

We play Motherwell who have to win but don't

My money is on us beating Hamilton.

Now while these games mean nothing to us they are against teams who have to fight for survival who should over run us with our young team , but don't.

Hope that is easier for you to understand mate

We had hee haw to play for

If you really wanted to make it easy for me, you'd learn to type and use proper sentences (see, we can both be patronising.)

Anyway, look, you can obviously excuse the terrible (and that's being kind) performances when we actually did have something to play for: I can't. We were beyond hopeless. Literally as poor as I've ever seen any team play. But we've won some meaningless game since then so that's forgotten? Ok...

Not when you consider the run Ross County went on they steam rolled up the league in fact did they not put together the second best run in the league of the season :

They were on a terrible run when Teale was appointed and after he was appointed and we beat them at Dingwall 2-1 to effectively relegate them according to some on here. We beat them with 10 after Arquin was sent off if you recall. Teale had been in charge for quite some time and it was Ross County who looked doomed.

If you really wanted to make it easy for me, you'd learn to type and use proper sentences (see, we can both be patronising.)

Anyway, look, you can obviously excuse the terrible (and that's being kind) performances when we actually did have something to play for: I can't. We were beyond hopeless. Literally as poor as I've ever seen any team play. But we've won some meaningless game since then so that's forgotten? Ok...

Sorry I am with Isle on this one, don't understand why people don't get the point, meaningless for us yes, but not for the opposition as they all had something still to play for, so they are going to be harder to break down and beat!!

Edited by Ditto

Can someone confirm to me that the game against Thistle after the split took place? I wasn't there so can't say for sure, however I'm fairly sure we lost it. Mysteriously it doesn't seem to appear in the list of games involving teams who had something to play for while didn't.

Teale said we need to get out of this mindset of "We're only St Mirren" and he's right, which is why a manager with such a poor track record has to go. Folk on this thread seem to be rather easily pleased - the sort of people who clap when the pilot lands the plane when you're going on holiday.

It's hard not to like Gary Teale. He's a smashing bloke, and his heart is 100% in the right place.

It's been great having him at the club towards the end of his career and during his time as manager we have seen fleeting glimpses of what he might be capable of.

We have however also seen the other side, with some absolutely shambolic performances and team selections in key games, and an inability at times to make key changes to try and arrest games that everyone can see slipping away from us. (I think Danny suffered that problem too incidentally)

Teale may well go on to be a good manager, and he is well connected in the game. I'd be quite happy, especially given that he has a years contract left, with him staying on at the club as assistant to a more experienced gaffer but I do definitely think that we must break this cycle of internal promotion if we are to move forwards.

I'll be very surprised if Teale gets the job.

Thing to bear in mind is. If rangers don't get promoted this season. No change can be made as they have a 3 year cooling period but

Next year league reconstruction will be up for debate again and.there will be massive calls for a 16 team league due to big clubs not being in spl

Then we had better start preparing now for when that happens if we have an hope of being in that 16, personally I think the club is well set for that, no debt, a parachute payment die for going down this season and campo for McGinn and plenty of capable young players coming through/already playing.

Sorry I am with Isle on this one, don't understand why people don't get the point, meaningless for us yes, but not for the opposition as they all had something still to play for, so they are going to be harder to break down and beat!!

You guys keep describing these wins as 'meaningless', then start to ascribe meaning to them clap.gif

There are snooker players all over the land who can rattle in 147s in the practice room yet will never do it in a competition. Taking the pressure off does strange things to sports people. And, besides, as I keep on saying, these wins don't concern me. The lack of performance when we had to win is what should worry us all.

Can someone confirm to me that the game against Thistle after the split took place? I wasn't there so can't say for sure, however I'm fairly sure we lost it. Mysteriously it doesn't seem to appear in the list of games involving teams who had something to play for while didn't.

Teale said we need to get out of this mindset of "We're only St Mirren" and he's right, which is why a manager with such a poor track record has to go. Folk on this thread seem to be rather easily pleased - the sort of people who clap when the pilot lands the plane when you're going on holiday.

Gary Teale and the pilot... at least with the pilot you want him to take you down.

At the end of the day the new manager no matter who he is will get my full backing that's the bottom line.

Just feel Teale has done what he can , getting rid of player were no use, not getting the players he wanted. Put trust in the players he had who generally did not perform to the standard they could. A manager can only do so much , for Teale to turn the corner in such a short space of time was a big ask.

Then its over we are down and out. So Teale tinkers with the team planning for next season getting results. On that basis he should be considered. If not we move on and pray we get the right man to lead us.

But the thing is the players he did sign have been rotten.

Sadlier has a bit of promise but Arquin more red cards than goals,Gow the same no goals.

Genev disappeared and Snoop dog well is he still here.

We need forwards and going by his record in this department he ain't the man to find them.

The only reason people are saying he should keep the job is cost

Think with all the COST we have wasted the last 2 years with the duff signings and keeping TC who was out of his depth as manager as shown many times before when he was No 1

There's a bigger picture than short term loss

You guys keep describing these wins as 'meaningless', then start to ascribe meaning to them clap.gif

There are snooker players all over the land who can rattle in 147s in the practice room yet will never do it in a competition. Taking the pressure off does strange things to sports people. And, besides, as I keep on saying, these wins don't concern me. The lack of performance when we had to win is what should worry us all.

Sorry I really don't buy that, a great analogy and one that I understand but just don't think applies here.

Look at the squad and players involved when we played Motherwell & Ross County after a good showing against Celtic and now look at the squad and players involved now plus one or two changes to positions.

Also to clarify, yes meaningless games to us yes but not to the opposition with the exception, as "Stu" states above, of Thistle.

So why weren't these players used sooner? They've been at the club all along, haven't they? Given our position of relative strength in January, why have we failed to reach the number of points we needed? Where was the urgency and the motivation while it was still in our hands to stay in this league?

People cite Ross County's amazing run as if it came out of nowhere, but some of us fairly accurately predicted how many points we would need in order to stay safe. whistling.gif I started this thread on January 12th, and said we'd need 38 points to stay up (ok, 36 would have done it, but hey-ho):

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/39271-how-much-trouble-we-are-in-some-numbers/

We should have been up and motivated for every single game. Ultimately, that we weren't, falls solely at the door of one man. I'm not talking about winning every match, but looking interested is a bare minimum.

So why weren't these players used sooner? They've been at the club all along, haven't they? Given our position of relative strength in January, why have we failed to reach the number of points we needed? Where was the urgency and the motivation while it was still in our hands to stay in this league?

People cite Ross County's amazing run as if it came out of nowhere, but some of us fairly accurately predicted how many points we would need in order to stay safe. whistling.gif I started this thread on January 12th, and said we'd need 38 points to stay up (ok, 36 would have done it, but hey-ho):

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/39271-how-much-trouble-we-are-in-some-numbers/

We should have been up and motivated for every single game. Ultimately, that we weren't, falls solely at the door of one man. I'm not talking about winning every match, but looking interested is a bare minimum.

If I am honest I don't know.

From the outside it looks like he continued to go with the more Senior players because of the situation and occasion rather than go with Youth, feeling quite naturally that throwing very young players could possibly stunt their development.

Yes we are playing bounce games.

What you spectacularly fail to mention is the following:-

1) We are playing with a team substantially made of exceptionally young players who have just gone through a relegation.

2) We are playing teams who are fighting for their lives whilst our players could have been dreaming about the beach and we've beaten three of them out of the last four.

3) Our players could have responded to relegation in just about the most positive way possible - they've won nearly every subsequent match.

4) We are playing better.

5) Had Motherwell and Ross County not went through a win spurt of Barcelona-esque proportions, chances are we'd still not be relegated yet.

If Gary wins again next week he'll have won 4 from 5.

When that happens at ANY stage of a season you need to appreciate it.

It's hard to explain sacking a manager who MIGHT have turned a corner.

Simply because there's a chance he's turned it around he probably merits a chance next season.

Don't forget he took over when we were already struggling and desperately low in confidence.

Why did he not change it when we still had a chance. Why did he persist with Genev, Goodwin, Arquin etc when we had better in the u20s. He hasn't turned anything around, he discovered purely by chance that we had players better than those he had been picking. He had umpteen games after we beat Thistle when he did nothing. Circumstances dictated picking young lads who have proved they have potential it was no genius on GTs part. Keep GT, keep Gow, keep Goodwin ffs it's very recent diabolical mistakes people want repeated over and over again.

This is all pretty dull isn't it. No rumours, no Flareybob exclusives. sad.png

Agreed it is, we are all just regurgitating the same rubbish.

Lets face it, we have those that are for keeping GT for a period to see if he can continue to get results using the youth & players we have today together with a bit of added experience and we have those that have understandably had their fill of this season and believe that a new broom will sweep clean.

Personally I would stick with the old broom because we have no guarantee that a new broom is going to gel with the young & existing players and get results out of them.

But what do I know, I am just this sites "resident football expert" apparently!