St. Mirren Looking For A New Manager

No don't ,lets take this thread in a different direction.

Jamie Fullarton appears to have a lot of youth coaching experience.

Hopefully he also knows how to set up a scouting network as well rather then waiting for the list of frees from Murray Park & Lennoxtown as we currently do.

Flareybob has a reputation for plucking things out the air. His posts are very entertaining, but are almost 100% fiction. It's just worth flagging that.

What happens if he gets off to a winning start , after all he is on a run just now and will probably beat Hamilton on Saturday. Not bad for a young manager only a few month into his job.

It has to be remembered the time scale he was given for us to stay up / the fact he could not get the players he wanted in / the fact he has found a winning formula.

Tell me what will happen if Murray comes in and loses his first 8 games. Please tell me

Are you suggesting that we give the job to Teale on the basis that a new manager *might* get off to a bad start?

What happens if he gets off to a winning start , after all he is on a run just now and will probably beat Hamilton on Saturday. Not bad for a young manager only a few month into his job.

It has to be remembered the time scale he was given for us to stay up / the fact he could not get the players he wanted in / the fact he has found a winning formula.

Tell me what will happen if Murray comes in and loses his first 8 games. Please tell me

Any new manager that comes in and has a bad start will be under pressure, there are no guarantees in appointing a new manager.

In my opinion, we've had three really big games (and I know they were all big) towards the end of the season where we had a chance to move closer towards the teams above us - Motherwell away, Ross Co home and then a slender chance at Partick away. We didn't just lose, we were gubbed in all of them, and lost by an aggregate of 11-0. 11-0 on aggregate across 3 crucial fixtures! We also had Killie & St Johnstone away before the split, and were beaten 1-0 & 2-0 respectively.

I don't disagree that the wins against Killie, Ross Co and Motherwell have been very welcome, but, in my opinion, they're papering over the cracks. I wouldn't disagree that Teale has had a difficult task, and that he's not had the players he wanted, but he's lost far more games than he won when it mattered, and he lost all the ones that really mattered without us even putting up a fight. That's down to a lack of attitude, fight, motivation within the club, and whether it's all his fault or not, he was the manager.

Look at it this way; Gilmour has stated its the club's aim to be promoted next season. So if thats your aim who do you get to guide the team to that aim?

That's as maybe but, unfortunately you can profess to be aiming for a target while employing a poor bowyer. It just means you're much less likely to hit the target

We really have just to look forward interview the applicants whoever they are see who comes forward as the best candidate.Obviously to my mind they should have sound managerial experience have good contacts be willing to have faith in youth.Whoever is appointed will have my support especially as we have just renewed our season tickets.COYS.

I don't really want Teale to be the manager, but just to stick up for him a bit here, I think some of the criticism is pretty harsh on a guy in his first job who wasn't really given the opportunity to make mistakes. Teale probably knows now that he should have played Kelly and Baird at CH earlier, and punted McAusland much sooner..... but that would have been one hell of a bold call at the time. He knows now that Reilly and Mallan would again have been a better shout in midfeild than McGinn and Goodwin, but can you imagine this place if he'd done that in the first place without his hand being forced?

I think he's learned. He made a few bad signings in January, but Gus and Danny made multiple bad signings in every single transfer window. We were always paying off Danny's duds each Januaury, then again in the summer. Every year. He also got the best out of McLean before he was sold out from under him. That didn't do him any favours.

I would be happier with a new manager altogether, but if it ends up being Teale I can see the justification for that.

I cannot get my head around anyone wanting to keep Teale in post. He has done absolutely nothing to demonstrate that he has the necessary credentials, and is the only one who has been in a position to do so.

What happened to the concept of a clear out?

A complete clearout would be the most stupid and reckless thing the board could possibly do.

Evolution beats revolution almost every time.

For me personally, it's got to be Teale unless a truly outstanding candidate shows himself.

See if Teale gets the job, brings in his own players and we get off to a poor start, then we're back to square one.

Why only consider the negative side?

Why not consider the possibility that things will improve?

What if we have a complete clearout cancelling contracts left right and centre and then find we get off to a poor start?

What do we do then?

Clearouts are a sign of panic. Always. And it's always those with nothing to lose financially who are the loudest advocates of that approach. Madness.

I hope the board when they do confirm the shortlist for interview also reveal how many applicants there were. Every other job at a similar sized club to ours seems to attract 50, 60, 70 applicants (if reports are accurate of course) and yet if the shortlist being talked about is true then I dread to think how poor the rest of the candidates were. Also how can GT be on this list if he said publicly he was not applying. Why would you interview someone who didn't apply and what will interviewing Teale actually achieve. If Teale get's the job it will be by default i.e. the other three candidates appear even worse than the incumbent at interview. What a sad state of affairs for any club never even the one we all love !

Jamie Fullarton appears to have a lot of youth coaching experience.

Hopefully he also knows how to set up a scouting network as well rather then waiting for the list of frees from Murray Park & Lennoxtown as we currently do.

Are you talking about first team level here or now off topic regarding youth Academy? Out of bitterness perhaps. Do you go to watch many youth teams game or are you possibly referring to times when maybe your son was involved but since been let go? Seems to be quite a recurring theme of bitterness to the Academy in your posts

I'm with you Shull its got to be Teale he has found a winning formula with a bunch of kids.You look at goals against Dumbarton and it makes for scary reading you could not say they have had a good season.Stark just seems dour not a motivator.Adams you might not like what he has said in the past but he speaks with passion.So Teale for me hopefully confirmed before the Hamilton game

Ian I appreciate your view but the last 2 results were achieved when we were relegated. Tbh if RC put 8 by us then we would have no complaints. We were poor. When needed, he was clueless as to how to compete when it mattered. The games against Motherwell and RC were embarrassing and proved to me that he is just not good enough at this time. He is no better than TC IMO and we need a fresh start with someone new. There is no guarantee with any appointment but what I have seen from GT scares me as much as TC. I have judged him on his buys and they have either bombed or have not been played.

Edited by nedflanders123

Why only consider the negative side?

Why not consider the possibility that things will improve?

What if we have a complete clearout cancelling contracts left right and centre and then find we get off to a poor start?

What do we do then?

Clearouts are a sign of panic. Always. And it's always those with nothing to lose financially who are the loudest advocates of that approach. Madness.

Because the BoD made an evolutionary appointment last summer. It was controversial, not everyone was convinced it was the right choice given the new man's previous short and poor track record in management, and it turned out to be a wrong choice. And a very expensive wrong choice for the club in terms of finance and our league status.

I've never mentioned cancelling contracts, although it does seem to have become the fashion over the past couple of years. What I've advocated (I'm not sure how loudly) is bringing in a new manager, with no links to the club and no preconceived ideas about the squad, the structure, the youth set up, the scouting etc - he might like some things, he may change others. As always, any manager would obviously have to work within the financial restrictions set by the BoD, but should be given the choice to pay off players if he feels that it's in the best interests of the team, squad harmony, his authority etc.

So, I'm not advocating that the BoD waste the club's money in paying off people left, right and centre. That would be daft, and as a mere fan, I know that you'd ridicule me for daring to do that. But with the club's track record in players and manager recruitment over the past couple of years, I doubt there are many people with any interest in Scottish football that could give our BoD any lessons in wasting the club's money in this way.

A complete clear-out did Ross County no harm.Sometimes a freshness is required for all parties and I am not saying Adams was not a successful manager in his time at County.Roy McGregor still speaks highly of his former manager.

MCS, If I remember the Interview with Roy McGregor he said that the way Adams (and his Father) had run the Ross County recruiting system was totally unsustainable and had only been possible due to R McG funding it through his very deep pockets. They bought players in one transfer window and dumped them at the next one. Adams was punted for this reason,not willing to change his ways.

Huge amounts of players went through there over the years.

Edited by thomsons dropped it

What happens if he gets off to a winning start , after all he is on a run just now and will probably beat Hamilton on Saturday. Not bad for a young manager only a few month into his job.It has to be remembered the time scale he was given for us to stay up / the fact he could not get the players he wanted in / the fact he has found a winning formula.Tell me what will happen if Murray comes in and loses his first 8 games. Please tell me

IOBS were you wanting GT when Motherwell and RC ripped us a new one? It has been decades since I last saw a team so bad or inept when passion, hard work and effort was required. The Manager was responsible for getting the team ready mentally and tactically. He failed and any other manager would be clearing his desk the following morning. I have nothing personal against Gary but I feel he is just not god enough. As for being an international player and playing at highest level, Bremner, Charlton, Shearer and a few others all failed.

Edited by nedflanders123

Judging by responses from both Ross County and Dumbarton fans, Adams and Murray are not the best at bringing through youth players. Gilmour was pretty clear that bringing through boys from the academy will be a big thing next season.

Hmm.

I hope the board when they do confirm the shortlist for interview also reveal how many applicants there were. Every other job at a similar sized club to ours seems to attract 50, 60, 70 applicants (if reports are accurate of course) and yet if the shortlist being talked about is true then I dread to think how poor the rest of the candidates were. Also how can GT be on this list if he said publicly he was not applying. Why would you interview someone who didn't apply and what will interviewing Teale actually achieve. If Teale get's the job it will be by default i.e. the other three candidates appear even worse than the incumbent at interview. What a sad state of affairs for any club never even the one we all love !

The number of applicants is pretty much irrelevant, we could have 100 applicants but 95 of those are ruled out with one glance at their CV.

IOBS were you wanting GT when Motherwell and RC ripped us a new one?

photo-thumb-819.jpg?_r=0 Posted by Isle Of Bute Saint on 12 May 2015 - 03:17 in General St. Mirren Discussion

I certainly hope we have Thompson if fit. Goodwin is a no brainier you can't buy his leadership skills for the championship in my opinion . Teale I don't know maybe a good number 2 as in assistant manager .

photo-thumb-819.jpg?_r=0 Posted by Isle Of Bute Saint on 10 May 2015 - 16:32 in General St. Mirren Discussion

I for one will be bitterly disappointed if Goodwin is not with us next season he is the experienced player we are going to need in a young team. Agree Teale should be replaced. As for Thommo his father in law said he is still having pain on the injury that hAs affected him all season so make no mistake it's not a petted lip that's wrong with him.

photo-thumb-819.jpg?_r=0 Posted by Isle Of Bute Saint on 30 April 2015 - 18:15 in General St. Mirren Discussion

If Gary Teale gets the team to perform the way we did against Kilmarnock he will get the gig and rightly so in my book
Fck knows laugh.png

Judging by responses from both Ross County and Dumbarton fans, Adams and Murray are not the best at bringing through youth players. Gilmour was pretty clear that bringing through boys from the academy will be a big thing next season.

Hmm.

He also said we'd be getting a wheeler dealer in December.