St. Mirren Looking For A New Manager

Ofcourse you can. Dumbartons squad had Lee Mair, David Van Zanten, Hugh Murray, Brian Prunty, Mark Wilson, Chris Kane, Paul McGinn, Ian Murray, and Jack Ross all playing for them over the last two seasons and they'd shop around the lower leagues for players like Archie Campbell - all very much in the same kind of realm and market that St Mirren operate in. Look at Murray's squad for this season - only two lads in the whole squad came through the youth ranks at Dumbarton. I don't know who he's kidding on but this guy isn't a coach that develops young talent.

I will stick up for Murray here

The Dumbarton youth set up was a shambles and it's only starting to get up and running now

Murray has had a hand in this as he wasn't impressed and changed their head and other coaches as it wasn't working.

A Dumbarton scout told me this a couple of weeks ago as he was trawling around the fitba pitches in Renfrewshire.

Still waiting to see a St Mirren scout though

Really?? His record is really rather decent - certainly streets ahead of Tommy Craig's abysmal failings at every club he has managed. If you had any confidence whatsoever when Craig took over, then your judgment is clearly highly questionable and I take comfort in your prediction that we will struggle next year.

OOOOOHHH, noted in my take no notice file.

Name a gaffer in the past 25 years for St. Mirren who was neither of those things. Yet we've still done OK for ourselves.

What being relegated is 'doing ok' for ourselves?

Ian Murray has got a hard act to follow to pick up his performance related bonus then to make sure we are automatically relegated next season.

Well at least Gilmour was honest and didn't talk about Murray's achievements and performance, or experience of working with youth.

Still Tealzo and Thommo can look forward to new playing contracts if Murray maintains his passion for signing players St Mirren usually drop because of age and diminishing performances.

Edited by Lord Pityme

I posted a name on the thread earlier. My intention was to add the name of someone who hadn't previously been mentioned and someone who had a track record of success with youth development. I named Gardner Speirs. I'd also mentioned Pat Kenny as a manager who continues to be extremely successful in Ireland.

I could have understood appointments like Adams or Reid. I don't think they would have had me rushing out for a season ticket but I would have understood that the club were trying to make an appointment that would put the club in the promotion mix. With Murray I honestly can't see what the intention is though. He's not been successful in any way at all and he's not got a record of youth development. He doesn't even have a great record as a coach throughout the Scottish game.

Who the f*ck is Pat Kenny?

Interesting line about wanting to go on to higher things in football. It's been pointed out before, but it would be nice to see St Mirren NOT being the end of the road for a football manager's career progression.

Got to back to the 80s to find a manager who left us for a bigger club.

I beg to differ Didn't Gus go to QoS..? Theres a few on here reckon they are 'a bigger club'.

I posted a name on the thread earlier. My intention was to add the name of someone who hadn't previously been mentioned and someone who had a track record of success with youth development. I named Gardner Speirs. I'd also mentioned Pat Kenny as a manager who continues to be extremely successful in Ireland.

I could have understood appointments like Adams or Reid. I don't think they would have had me rushing out for a season ticket but I would have understood that the club were trying to make an appointment that would put the club in the promotion mix. With Murray I honestly can't see what the intention is though. He's not been successful in any way at all and he's not got a record of youth development. He doesn't even have a great record as a coach throughout the Scottish game.

Gardner Speirs :lol: Pat Kenny - do you mean Steve Kenny? If so... :lol:

Eddie Howe had an excellent track record in his first stint for bournemouth, McIntyre had an excellent record at QoS which included cup finals.

Which cup finals would those be?

It's hard to disagree with such knowledgeable experts as Lord Pityme and Stuart Dickson.

But here goes.

They appear to have received some inner revelation which appears to justify their superior attitude towards those of us who are willing to give Ian Murray the benefit of the doubt, (which probably the rest of us have) - and that doubt would apply to practically any St Mirren managerial appointment.

What is sad and rather revealing is LP and SD's total lack of any good grace in failing to wish the new manager well at St Mirren despite their own personal opinions on his abilities and promise.

I'm not sure which is funnier; fat boy trying to impart his "expert" analysis on football, a subject incidentally that he knows even less about than economics (I know almost unbelievable), or our resident tin foil helmet wearer's meltdown.

Either way it's entertaining.thumbup2.gif

Gardner Speirs lol.gif: Pat Kenny - do you mean Steve Kenny? If so... lol.gif:

Which cup finals would those be?

It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Although, to be fair their combined intellect is about the same evolutionary level as a fish.

It's hard to disagree with such knowledgeable experts as Lord Pityme and Stuart Dickson.

But here goes.

They appear to have received some inner revelation which appears to justify their superior attitude towards those of us who are willing to give Ian Murray the benefit of the doubt, (which probably the rest of us have) - and that doubt would apply to practically any St Mirren managerial appointment.

What is sad and rather revealing is LP and SD's total lack of any good grace in failing to wish the new manager well at St Mirren despite their own personal opinions on his abilities and promise.

SD will always been anti- St.Mirren everything until SG is no longer at the helm.

Edited by pod

I love how Lord LookAtMe, Dick and Nostrilful all "like" every post the other makes. Anyone would be forgiven in thinking they were the same person as amazingly (uncannily even) they all share the exact same opinion on virtually every thread on this forum. What's the odds on that eh ???

Brilliant appointment and pity it wasn't done a year ago. Young, ambitious manager Murray should be welcomed with open arms - let's unite and get right behind the manager and the team and try to establish that unique bond between players and the fans that will push us forward.

Onwards and hopefully upwards. COYS !

http://www.brechinadvertiser.co.uk/sport/scottish-sport/murray-reveals-teale-contact-1-3780746

Nice gesture by Gary in what must have been a disappointing day for him.

It would be encouraging if he could work with Ian Murray in some capacity and develop his own coaching skills at St Mirren rather than somewhere else.

http://www.brechinadvertiser.co.uk/sport/scottish-sport/murray-reveals-teale-contact-1-3780746

Nice gesture by Gary in what must have been a disappointing day for him.

It would be encouraging if he could work with Ian Murray in some capacity and develop his own coaching skills at St Mirren rather than somewhere else.

Perhaps manage the development side? Murray must bring his own assistant at the very least.

Not my first choice but feel a bit better after talking to my mate from Dumbarton who reckons it's a miracle that he kept them up yet again.

Just glad we got the appointment in place before the season ended and it's also someone from outside the club.

I love how Lord LookAtMe, Dick and Nostrilful all "like" every post the other makes. Anyone would be forgiven in thinking they were the same person as amazingly (uncannily even) they all share the exact same opinion on virtually every thread on this forum. What's the odds on that eh ???

Massive actually. Nosferatu, in one of his previous guises, used to differ from me on absolutely everything - more so than any other St Mirren fan I know. The fact that we are now agreeing on a number of topics shows just how right we are.