St. Mirren Looking For A New Manager

Billy stark. Has never nurtured young talent. He was the manager of scotiand u21. So. He had to pick players u21. So for he this doesn't count

When you actually think about billy reid and his past record. Surely he had to be the overwhelming favourite. When you think of the promotions he won the players he brought through from accies. And our set up surely has to be better than accies. We all know he is a c**t. But. May be for me had to be the outstanding candidate

He's currently a number 2. For a team in the Swedish league think thre called falkenburg

Ostersunds FK where he's an Assistant to Graham Potter. They've taken the side from the 4th tier to the 2nd tier but they've had huge amounts of investment, including a very large payment from the Libyan government, in that time. Graham Potter has loads of strong links to the Nike Academy too. I don't get where people think Billy Reid is good at nurturing younger players though. Alan Maitland has always been the influence at Hamilton when it comes to youth players. When Reid was in charge at Hamilton, and Maitland was bossing Alloa, much of the coaching of younger players was left to former Saint, John McCormack with some very interesting and very public results :rolleyes:

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Completely wishful thinking unfortunately.

I can't emphasise enough that the manager of the football club next season MUST have a proven track record of nurturing young players. The importance of the Academy to the club cannot be under estimated.

Last night the u20s beat a strong Celtic side, and we finished the game with 5 players on the pitch who were under 17 !

There is some fantastic talent there, and the key to our future success is going to be ensuring that these players progress into the first team.

My overwhelming (and underwhelming) feeling is that Billy Stark will get the job, but I can wish for someone as ambitious as big Mixu !

The main problem this year I feel is not backing up the kids with an experienced core in the team. Really missing a Steven Thomson, a Shuggy etc.

Stark is so uninspiring and I didn't feel he did a great job with the U21s.

I know he's mainly hated by our support but I'm beginning to think Billy Reid would be worth a go.

A bit of a bellend by all accounts, but I'm not wanting to be his pal, I'm wanting him to kick some ass and get us winning games.

Perhaps harshly I'm not entirely convinced he didn't get lucky at Hamilton with the talent coming through at the right time.

Billy stark. Has never nurtured young talent. He was the manager of scotiand u21. So. He had to pick players u21. So for he this doesn't count

He won the 3rd division with a young Queens Park side.I think his record for the u21s wasn't too bad either.

Still, I'm not saying I WANT Billy Stark but I'd make him one of the hot favourites to get it.

When you actually think about billy reid and his past record. Surely he had to be the overwhelming favourite. When you think of the promotions he won the players he brought through from accies. And our set up surely has to be better than accies. We all know he is a c**t. But. May be for me had to be the outstanding candidate

He's currently a number 2. For a team in the Swedish league think thre called falkenburg

The bit in bold hits the nail on the head. Same as the Old Firm youth coaches who are hailed in the media as potential managerial talents. Nearly all of them have been useless when they've gone into management.

It really does not matter who gets the managers job, as long as they are successful in getting St.Mirren back to the Scottish premier league however if the St.Mirren BOD,s want the support back on side they would be well advised to stay clear of appointing GT, TC or DL. Like Div my guess is Billy Stark and whilst he may not be everybody's choice as manager, myself included, he will get the backing of St.Mirren supporters.

A not too surprising outcome for GT, given (1) the circumstances he was appointed and (2) the outcome of our final league position.

I personally crossed my fingers with Gary, but I really didn't see the personnel within the playing staff to pull it out of the mire, then with the sale of Kenny at the close of the transfer window, the die was surely set.

The club have a history of looking from within to appoint, be that a cost saving exercise, or better the devil you know attitude, I've never been quite sure, but I suspect the former. This time however where would they look within?

ST is too raw a chance. By all means keep him involved in the training / background team, but PLEASE bring in someone who has a bit of a track record that can gel the youngsters, make one or two astute signings and bring ST on in the right way (whatever that may be as a football manager - I've never personally fancied the job too much unless it was to pay £1m p.a. and then get me sacked - aye dream on oldster!whistling.gif ).

Where do the Club start?

What about the Directors making a statement about the future. A simple clear statement that the sale of the club is now on hold until we get stability, a platform to get us back into the top league and then a permanent place in the upper part of that league!

There that would give the whole club, including supporters a lift, plus provide an in-coming manager with the knowledge that there is a steady ship on the sea.clap.gif

If a takeover was complete in January, imo Teale would not have seen out the rest of the season. The collapse of a proposed takeover prompted the board to stick with an internal option till the end of the season in the hope that we pull off a survival and leave it easy for any future potential bidders to appoint their own man with no pay off required.

It is in the boards hands to now let the fans know if they intend to draw up a promotion push plan for our future, if there is no interest shown in the club. The clubs value will now have dropped through relegation and the board who are wanting out only have themselves to blame for decision makings as far back as last May. If they really want to leave, they will have to accept that the club is no longer the value they set out to sell at.

Whoever is appointed manager, will surely have to accept a performance based one year contract.

It really does not matter who gets the managers job, as long as they are successful in getting St.Mirren back to the Scottish premier league however if the St.Mirren BOD,s want the support back on side they would be well advised to stay clear of appointing GT, TC or DL. Like Div my guess is Billy Stark and whilst he may not be everybody's choice as manager, myself included, he will get the backing of St.Mirren supporters.

No he won't! He bombed at Morton and St Johnstone and winning the third division play offs nearly ten years ago isn't the type of career highlight that should let him anywhere near the job today. His record as a club manager is woeful. Ffs we should have someone much better, with potential. Stark falls into the Tommy Craig category of club management success.

Perhaps harshly I'm not entirely convinced he didn't get lucky at Hamilton with the talent coming through at the right time.

That 'talent' consisted of McCarthy & McArthur, with the latter being a defensive midfielder!

Billy Reid still had to put the rest of the team together.

He also did a pretty decent job at Clyde...

For me Billy Stark is an awful appointment, hasn't done anything of note in years and just doesn't inspire in any way! Will be surprised and disappointed if he becomes our new manager....

Still think the part in the board statement regarding Teale was quite odd, to me it implied he will be involved in some way going forward...perhaps as a coach or assistant.

That 'talent' consisted of McCarthy & McArthur, with the latter being a defensive midfielder!

Billy Reid still had to put the rest of the team together.

He also did a pretty decent job at Clyde...

His tactics made Gus' look akin to Brazil's

For me Billy Stark is an awful appointment, hasn't done anything of note in years and just doesn't inspire in any way! Will be surprised and disappointed if he becomes our new manager....

Still think the part in the board statement regarding Teale was quite odd, to me it implied he will be involved in some way going forward...perhaps as a coach or assistant.

I would imagine Teale will be offered a position in new managers backroom team, in the full knowledge he wont want to take a step backwards. I cant see Gary Teale being at the club next season

Stark would be a hopeless appointment, as would Reid and Adams IMO.

I think it will be someone that hasn't been mentioned anywhere yet.

> I think it will be someone that hasn't been mentioned anywhere yet.

Given the endless rumours and speculation this season that must be a consise and exclusive list TC.

Sylvester Stalone, Harold from Neighbours? whistling.gif

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, however I fear that with the current BoD remaining in place, we shouldn't expect a remotely inspiring appointment.

That said, I'm struggling to think of who might be an inspiring and realistic candidate for the post, so they are likely to have their work cut-out.

In fairness, I'd be happy enough (as I've banged on about in the past) for a professional recruitment process. So....please interview more than one applicant, and carefully analyse their career records.

There is a great deal hinging on this appointment, so I hope the BoD take the time to carefully consider who would be the best fit in the current circusmtances, and early indications are that they are looking to do this, so that has to be a positive.

I would imagine Teale will be offered a position in new managers backroom team, in the full knowledge he wont want to take a step backwards. I cant see Gary Teale being at the club next season

Realisticly. Where else is teale going to go.

He stays 20 min from training ground has a young family. So he will stay

I think how St Johnstone have continued to push for a top 6 position that someone from their management team that knows how to develop young talent is worth a shout...someone like Alex Cleland won't be a bad appointment as I know he is their nos 3 coach and would fancy the move up to a top job. Teale can stay on and assist.

I think how St Johnstone have continued to push for a top 6 position that someone from their management team that knows how to develop young talent is worth a shout...someone like Alex Cleland won't be a bad appointment as I know he is their nos 3 coach and would fancy the move up to a top job. Teale can stay on and assist.

Hi Alex, how's it going?

Time for a complete outsider. A manager who has worked with and knows the English lower leagues. Used to wheeling and dealing. Plenty out there and some will undoubtedly apply. Although this season was a shambles, we are still a decent draw for anyone's CV. Looking forward to an interesting summer.

Yep i think the board are well aware that Gary has a year of his contract still to go. He will perhaps be offered a coaching role, i think it is only right that any new manager is free to choose their own assistant at least. Gary will not and should not get the manager's job, 2 results should ensure this, the 5-0 defeat to Motherwell and the 3-0 to Partick. These games were must wins and we were trounced by both teams. I think inviting Gary to apply was/should be a token gesture by the board.

Tell me one player except Stevie May. Who has been developed at st Johnstone. Bet u can't name one. Some track record that. If you look at the stats. Every week at Johnstone have the highest average age. They don't develop youngsters