St. Mirren Looking For A New Manager

Wins against Killie, County and Motherwell when it didn't matter have put a gloss on Teale's reign. We must not forget those capitulations against Well and County when we were still in with a shot.

They ranked amongst the most gutless performances I've ever seen from a football team.

Wins against Killie, County and Motherwell when it didn't matter have put a gloss on Teale's reign. We must not forget those capitulations against Well and County when we were still in with a shot.

They ranked amongst the most gutless performances I've ever seen from a football team.

Spot on. If the game against Motherwell didn't end any hope he had of getting the job, the game against County did. Folk can talk about mistakes, individual errors etc but the lack of desire and motivation from the team was frightening. Teale's claim a few weeks later that the players shouldn't need motivating was alarming as they quite clearly did.

Sure, we may have done well against Killie and Motherwell but by most accounts we were rotten against Thistle and pretty poor against County despite fluking a win.

We need a clean break, someone to come in who has no connection to the failures of this season. If we stick with Teale then the first poor run of form will see calls for his head - the third season running we've been in that position (well, more so than normal). Sadly, I have a horrible feeling Teale is going to get it.

Sadly, I have a horrible feeling Teale is going to get it.

Naw, not in a million years. In their recent statements, the BOD have all but admitted that they got it wrong by replacing the manager of a failing team with the assistant of that same failing team. If they give Teale the permanent gig, they'll be doing the same dunderheided thing again, holding themselves up to ridicule and I reckon the BOD have probably had enough of public humiliation for now.

My money's on Stark, underwhelming though that is.

That's worrying...

Its been a long hard disappointing season for everyone to contend with, there is no overwhelmingly external clear candidate for the managers job, yet the majority on here want to break up something that is just beginning to come together and look good on the pitch and everyone on here wants to change that by removing Teale?

No one knows the behind the scenes goings on, the off field politics if any, the personal agenda's if any, just the backdrop of a bloody awful season on the pitch.

For me the shape of the side is far improved but still not right, but that can only be fixed with the addition of 2/3 key experienced players which will come in the close season, whilst there will be 2/3 exiting at the end of the season as well, but in essence there is clear evidence of improvement and a nucleus of a good young squad, something that can really be built on.

Personally I think we will win at Hamilton, we played well up at Killie on that surface but were awful in the last third, we seem to have turned that corner now being more creative in front of goal and creating chances, granted we need to be more clinical in finishing them. But we seem to move the ball around well on that surface and now with the introduction of a few younger players I can see a win.

For all of that, for me, I would be stick with Gary Teale.

Edited by Ditto

How would you explain him being unable to get the same players to perform in the games that actually mattered ? Motherwell away especially was a complete farce and Teale was unable tactically to get those games right . He needs to go and learn his trade as a manager elsewhere or stay on as coach under a manager that knows what their doing ....

How would you explain him being unable to get the same players to perform in the games that actually mattered ? Motherwell away especially was a complete farce and Teale was unable tactically to get those games right . He needs to go and learn his trade as a manager elsewhere or stay on as coach under a manager that knows what their doing ....

I think at that point he was still trying to regain some peace in the dressing room by accommodating too many egos.

He hasn't held back in dropping or freeing players and is being his own man.

He has shown improvements.

Its been a long hard disappointing season for everyone to contend with, there is no overwhelmingly external clear candidate for the managers job, yet the majority on here want to break up something that is just beginning to come together and look good on the pitch and everyone on here wants to change that by removing Teale?

Is though? We were decent enough yesterday against a shite Motherwell side. Nothing in the performance that made me sit up and take notice though aside from young Stevie's brilliant goal. I didn't watch and think 'wow, this team could really do something next season'. We were above our own spectacularly low average yesterday and got a deserved 3 points. Nothing more, nothing less.

Its not the same players though is it, not entirely anyway and in my experience just the change of one or two players can have a major effect and impact to the way a team plays.

Since Motherwell away, Cheesy, Osborne, Ball have left, ok only one was involved at Motherwell. In addition, Goodwin, Genev, Arquin & McGinn have not played either for very different reasons. But those changes alone are quite significant whether on or off the pitch, both in play and in personality around the dressing room.

All in all the younger players have now been thrown in and are able to play without fear or retribution and that has started to show real promise.

I know for a fact that the tactics against Motherwell away were to get the ball out wide to Dayton & Sadlier as quickly as possible and let them both run at Motherwell - however we rarely got out of our own half in the first half let alone get the ball out wide. Hence that is why Dayton & Sadlier were substituted at half time and we reverted to a different system.

Remember also in that game that Tesseller was injured in the warm up and was replaced at left back by Kelly who got skinned alive, left back is not his position whereas centre half with the game always in front of him is proving to be his position.

Teale can only work with what he has available to him and whilst I don't agree with all his decisions I can see progress there just recently with wins in a way that you would want to see wins, trying to play football and digging in when going behind twice!

Edited by Ditto

Is though? We were decent enough yesterday against a shite Motherwell side. Nothing in the performance that made me sit up and take notice though aside from young Stevie's brilliant goal. I didn't watch and think 'wow, this team could really do something next season'. We were above our own spectacularly low average yesterday and got a deserved 3 points. Nothing more, nothing less.

I did also say that it was the start of something that could become exciting, I also said that the team shape is still not right but that would be corrected with the addition of 2/3 exp players in the close season.

If you were at the game yesterday, which I assume you were, then you would have seen better there than on TV how well the team gelled and played together at times.

Anyway, we are all entitled to our opinions and thats the purpose of these forums.

Edited by Ditto

I did also say that it was the start of something that could become exciting, I also said that the team shape is still not right but that would be corrected with the addition of 2/3 exp players in the close season.

If you were at the game yesterday, which I assume you were, then you would have seen better there than on TV how well the team gelled and played together at times.

Anyway, we are all entitled to our opinions and thats the purpose of these forums.

The addition of experienced players is the key next season

Can Teale be trusted to bring these players in his record last season suggest otherwise

I was there, yeah. As I say, I saw a decent performance from a side who wouldn't let their heads go down after being screwed over twice in a couple of minutes. I was also at Firhill a fortnight ago when the performance was almost as bad as anything else we've turned in all season and we capitulated in the second half. I simply can't bring myself to judge the guy on his last 4 games when the bigger picture has resulted in failure.

The season we signed Teale, Thommo, Hasselbaink and Tesselaar and they absolutely rode Aberdeen in the second game of the season, I felt that was the start of something exciting.

No, no no. Just no. It can't be Teale.

Working on the basis that we hope someone will become a good manager, or giving them a chance, or settling for the easy/cheap option, is exactly what's got us into this mess.

We got very, very f**king lucky when it worked out well with Gus McPherson. But otherwise this approach hasn't worked for us.

Teale's not been good enough: we were more than save-able when he took over, and our closest rivals really aren't very good either, yet we have gone down meekly.

Also, let's put the myth to bed about him giving all these youth players their chances: he only opted to do it once we were down. He only opted to do that once we had shipped eight goals without reply in two games against our two closest rivals (who are f**king shite). We made Motherwell look like world beaters. The only amusing thing about that night (with hindsight) was the false sense of security/hope it gave the Well fans.

I'm sorry, he seems like a nice guy and he remains a cup winning legend. For his pass to Isma, I will always be grateful. But he is emphatically not the man to rejuvenate a club that is well and truly in the doldrums. He is not the man to inspire fans to get behind the club for a promotion push. I don't even believe he's the sort of man who could sell the club and convince a few seasoned pros to join us as we try to get back up next year.

Let's stop wringing our hands and thinking these past few results have made it all ok. We have been utterly f**king shite all season and we need to bring someone in from the outside who will kick us back in the right direction.

Edited by Magic Monkey

I was there, yeah. As I say, I saw a decent performance from a side who wouldn't let their heads go down after being screwed over twice in a couple of minutes. I was also at Firhill a fortnight ago when the performance was almost as bad as anything else we've turned in all season and we capitulated in the second half. I simply can't bring myself to judge the guy on his last 4 games when the bigger picture has resulted in failure.

The season we signed Teale, Thommo, Hasselbaink and Tesselaar and they absolutely rode Aberdeen in the second game of the season, I felt that was the start of something exciting.

Who was behind those signings and all that ambition? Even before a ball was kicked you felt things were getting really exciting.

Also, let's put the myth to bed about him giving all these youth players their chances: he only opted to do it once we were down. He only opted to do that once we had shipped eight goals without reply in two games against our two closest rivals (who are f**king shite). We made Motherwell look like world beaters. The only amusing thing about that night (with hindsight) was the false sense of security/hope it gave the Well fans.

Also worth noting Baird only came into the team out of necessity as Goodwin, Genev and McAusland were unavailable for one reason or another. The only other youth player to be getting starts who wasn't already in the team was Reilly. The rest have been getting longer runs from the bench.