St. Mirren Looking For A New Manager

When we won at Thistle late January we were in a position of safety (10th) with 18 points. In the 10 games until we were officially releagated Teale presided over a team that collected 6 points in 10 games and lost the 2 most crucial games to our immedaite challengers by an aggregate of 8v0. We have since won 2 games that mattered not a jot (one at Dingwall with a poor performance). We MUST stop making the same mistakes over and over again in promoting from within. His record only looks semi decent when compared to that of Craig - when annalysed it's shocking. New broom required, a fresh start he hasn't done anywhere near enough to justify the job.

When we won at Thistle late January we were in a position of safety (10th) with 18 points. In the 10 games until we were officially releagated Teale presided over a team that collected 6 points in 10 games and lost the 2 most crucial games to our immedaite challengers by an aggregate of 8v0. We have since won 2 games that mattered not a jot (one at Dingwall with a poor performance). We MUST stop making the same mistakes over and over again in promoting from within. His record only looks semi decent when compared to that of Craig - when annalysed it's shocking. New broom required, a fresh start he hasn't done anywhere near enough to justify the job.

Exactly Ayrshire Saint. The only statistics that matter are those from games when survival was still realistically achievable (it is debatable whether even the Killie game falls within that criteria).

I simply cannot comprehend why anyone wishes to read anything in to results post confirmation of relegation. Naturally enough the relegated team starts to play with a more relaxed attitude (truth is, it no longer matters to the relegated team in any tangible sense), conversely the opposition in the two most recent games were nervous and desperate for the three points. It is no coincidence that both of our winners came against 10 man Ross County and 10 man Motherwell, when both teams were pushing everyone up the pitch to try to achieve 3 points.

I've already stated on here that both GT and DL are due some credit for both victories, it would be churlish not to grant them that. However they equally have to accept the rough with the smooth, neither GT or DL can hide from the key results (AND performances) in the big matches when survival was still realistic.

Relegation was confirmed on a points total of 24. Even if we end up with a final tally of 33 it doesn't matter one bit, to all intents and purposes, for St Mirren, we are currently playing bounce games. The fact that so many fellow fans are having their heads turned by a couple of meaningless results is beyond my understanding. But hey, everyone to their own, all opinions are valid.

Exactly Ayrshire Saint. The only statistics that matter are those from games when survival was still realistically achievable (it is debatable whether even the Killie game falls within that criteria).

I simply cannot comprehend why anyone wishes to read anything in to results post confirmation of relegation. Naturally enough the relegated team starts to play with a more relaxed attitude (truth is, it no longer matters to the relegated team in any tangible sense), conversely the opposition in the two most recent games were nervous and desperate for the three points. It is no coincidence that both of our winners came against 10 man Ross County and 10 man Motherwell, when both teams were pushing everyone up the pitch to try to achieve 3 points.

I've already stated on here that both GT and DL are due some credit for both victories, it would be churlish not to grant them that. However they equally have to accept the rough with the smooth, neither GT or DL can hide from the key results (AND performances) in the big matches when survival was still realistic.

Relegation was confirmed on a points total of 24. Even if we end up with a final tally of 33 it doesn't matter one bit, to all intents and purposes, for St Mirren, we are currently playing bounce games. The fact that so many fellow fans are having their heads turned by a couple of meaningless results is beyond my understanding. But hey, everyone to their own, all opinions are valid.

Yes we are playing bounce games.

What you spectacularly fail to mention is the following:-

1) We are playing with a team substantially made of exceptionally young players who have just gone through a relegation.

2) We are playing teams who are fighting for their lives whilst our players could have been dreaming about the beach and we've beaten three of them out of the last four.

3) Our players could have responded to relegation in just about the most positive way possible - they've won nearly every subsequent match.

4) We are playing better.

5) Had Motherwell and Ross County not went through a win spurt of Barcelona-esque proportions, chances are we'd still not be relegated yet.

If Gary wins again next week he'll have won 4 from 5.

When that happens at ANY stage of a season you need to appreciate it.

It's hard to explain sacking a manager who MIGHT have turned a corner.

Simply because there's a chance he's turned it around he probably merits a chance next season.

Don't forget he took over when we were already struggling and desperately low in confidence.

1) We are playing with a team substantially made of exceptionally young players who have just gone through a relegation.

2) We are playing teams who are fighting for their lives whilst our players could have been dreaming about the beach and we've beaten three of them out of the last four.

3) Our players could have responded to relegation in just about the most positive way possible - they've won nearly every subsequent match.

5) Had Motherwell and Ross County not went through a win spurt of Barcelona-esque proportions, chances are we'd still not be relegated yet.

Simply because there's a chance he's turned it around he probably merits a chance next season.

Don't forget he took over when we were already struggling and desperately low in confidence.

It's a subjective thing to say that we are playing better.

We may be playing better than under Craig, but it's still not been good enough in my opinion. Watching us 5-0, 3-0 and 3-0 in recent times proves that.

In response to your 5 points.

That Gary was totally responsible for.

At least they all fought for their lives, we rolled over.

So the manager should get credit for performances that don't matter but we should forget that he led us to relegation.

That wouldn't be hard.

Once Ross County got rid of the likes of Arquin they certainly improved. Motherwell brought in the likes of McDonald and Pearson. We signed the likes of Arquin and ended up swapping places with Ross County.

We had a good upturn in form at the end of last season when it mattered. Wasn't enough to keep the manager in a job. Don't see why winning games when it doesn't matter after some horrific results should keep the current manager in a job.

A considered and detailed response Oaky, we may not agree, but it's good constructive debate.

One point of order.... 'It's hard to explain sacking a manager who MIGHT have turned a corner.'

GT would NOT be sacked. His contract as manager runs out after the Hamilton game. Whatever happens, at the end of this season, he will not have a 'sacking' on his CV.

One question if I may. Hypothetically speaking, let's say GT achieved survival for our club after the Killie game, and we had then suffered defeats in the last 4 games of the season. Would it be fair for fans to then say he should NOT be awarded with the managers job? I suspect in this scenario 100% of the St Mirren support would insist the BoD furnished GT with a new contract as Manager, regardless of the 4 poor results.

If we agree that is a reasonable view, would it also be reasonable to judge GT on the results prior to relegation being confirmed, rather than on some positive results post relegation?

I think one of if not the biggest factor in the BOD's decision making will rightly be cost. Gary Teale has a contract for next season, a contract which will cost money to terminate, then there will be yet more costs on top of that to bring in yet another manager with no guarantee of that being a success. Also, no matter who the new manager is, there will be fans who criticise him from the off.

People on here will slate the cheap option if we stick with Teale, but when you get relegated the cheap option is also the financially sensible one. Our club will have it's income slashed hugely next year and we must cut our cloth accordingly.

There's quite clearly a sizeable block of Saints fans who would either like Teale to get the job, or wouldn't be totally against it. Apparently hundreds have already renewed their season tickets for next season without even knowing who the manager will be.

I could certainly see the BOD's rationale if they decide to give Teale the nod this summer. Give him to about October/November to see if he can have a good summer and hit the ground running. If we can't, get rid of him then, when his contract has many months fewer to be paid off. If we can, we save a good chunk of money while retaining a manager who clearly has got the players playing for him at the moment.

One question if I may. Hypothetically speaking, let's say GT achieved survival for our club after the Killie game, and we had then suffered defeats in the last 4 games of the season. Would it be fair for fans to then say he should NOT be awarded with the managers job? I suspect in this scenario 100% of the St Mirren support would insist the BoD furnished GT with a new contract as Manager, regardless of the 4 poor results.

If we agree that is a reasonable view, would it also be reasonable to judge GT on the results prior to relegation being confirmed, rather than on some positive results post relegation?

Very well put.

Getting excited about these three recent wins would be like getting excited when we put 10 past Whitley Bay. Which I definitely didn't do. whistling.gif

So the manager should get credit for performances that don't matter but we should forget that he led us to relegation.

That wouldn't be hard.

Once Ross County got rid of the likes of Arquin they certainly improved. Motherwell brought in the likes of McDonald and Pearson. We signed the likes of Arquin and ended up swapping places with Ross County.

That wouldn't be hard.

Your losing the plot wee man !

Very well put.

Getting excited about these three recent wins would be like getting excited when we put 10 past Whitley Bay. Which I definitely didn't do. whistling.gif

Very well put.

Teale was thrown in at the deep end to take over a club heading for relegation at 100mph. Teale draws up a list of players he wants to bring in on January. Not one of these players can we sign who Teale wants

Then the club is forced to sell its best player the last day of the window.

Here a none experienced manager given a few months to save the club from relagation.

Give me a f**kin break , honestly what the hell did you expect.

Teale has got a young team playing well which is the basis of our team next season. The fact you think Kilmarnock was a friendly game , Ross County a friendly game , Motherwell a friendly game no nether here no there the fact is Teale was thrown in at the deep end and deserves more time especially the way he has the young lads playing against teams that need to win and we don't. Yet we win.

These are the facts, taking any subjective views on performance or anything right out of it... The BoD bump up Gary Teale and under his stewardship we are relegated. They then come out and say they are accepting applications for the manager's job and go on to say Gary Teale should feel free to apply. Gary Teale says he shouldn't need to apply, the BoD should know what they've got.

Now, to my eyes at least, no matter what you make of Gary Teale's tenure so far, this doesn't strike me as an ideal set of circumstances that will see the BoD give Gary Teale the gig.

My take on it is the BoD want shot of him, but in inviting him to apply, if he says 'fcuk off' they can say 'well, he spat the dummy'. My take on Teale's side of things is that he knows fine well they want shot of him, knows fine well his signings were shite, and knows fine well he couldn't even inspire us to go down fighting. In saying 'I shouldn't need to apply' he is biting his lip and resisting the temptation to tell the BoD to fcuk off.

A parting of the ways is surely the outcome here.

Teale was thrown in at the deep end to take over a club heading for relegation at 100mph.

Except we were third bottom. Our points total would have seen us well adrift any other season, Motherwell and County gave us a fighting chance by having dreadful starts as well. Survival was still there for the team GT took over. 10th was still definitely on the cards.

These are the facts, taking any subjective views on performance or anything right out of it... The BoD bump up Gary Teale and under his stewardship we are relegated. They then come out and say they are accepting applications for the manager's job and go on to say Gary Teale should feel free to apply. Gary Teale says he shouldn't need to apply, the BoD should know what they've got.

Now, to my eyes at least, no matter what you make of Gary Teale's tenure so far, this doesn't strike me as an ideal set of circumstances that will see the BoD give Gary Teale the gig.

My take on it is the BoD want shot of him, but in inviting him to apply, if he says 'fcuk off' they can say 'well, he spat the dummy'. My take on Teale's side of things is that he knows fine well they want shot of him, knows fine well his signings were shite, and knows fine well he couldn't even inspire us to go down fighting. In saying 'I shouldn't need to apply' he is biting his lip and resisting the temptation to tell the BoD to fcuk off.

A parting of the ways is surely the outcome here.

You would be spot on with your rationale with probably every other football club in the country. Unfortunately, even given his strange comments. Tealzo is Cheapzo... So he is! And thats the kind of price our board love more than anything. Inwill not be surprised to see him get the gig with the BoD's comment being "no one else we spoke to seemed to offer better than Gary"

I expect the announcement after the Hamilton game, but who knows if enough early bird ST's have been flogged the might confirm it on Saturday?

Edited by Lord Pityme

Still not sure whether to renew my ST's or not but I will be waiting to see who the BOD bring in before I do , if its GT I will only be picking and choosing games next season , I don't buy into this he has the team playing well ,Motherwell 5-0 , Ross County 3-0 and Plastic Whistle 3-0 are still very fresh in mind. The non appearance of Killie , the luck against County and Well in the last two don't cut it.

Teale was thrown in at the deep end to take over a club heading for relegation at 100mph. Teale draws up a list of players he wants to bring in on January. Not one of these players can we sign who Teale wantsThen the club is forced to sell its best player the last day of the window.Here a none experienced manager given a few months to save the club from relagation.Give me a f**kin break , honestly what the hell did you expect.Teale has got a young team playing well which is the basis of our team next season. The fact you think Kilmarnock was a friendly game , Ross County a friendly game , Motherwell a friendly game no nether here no there the fact is Teale was thrown in at the deep end and deserves more time especially the way he has the young lads playing against teams that need to win and we don't. Yet we win.

You are not factually correct.

We weren't bottom of the table when he was appointed.

He was second in command to Tommy Craig and had a responsibility for the position we were in, therefore he wasn't thrown in at the deep end, he was already in the pool.

The patter about it was someone else to blame cause he couldn't sign the players he wanted was the same patter Tommy Craig had.

You are not factually correct.

We weren't bottom of the table when he was appointed.

He was second in command to Tommy Craig and had a responsibility for the position we were in, therefore he wasn't thrown in at the deep end, he was already in the pool.

The patter about it was someone else to blame cause he couldn't sign the players he wanted was the same patter Tommy Craig had.

Tommy lost his piece of paper, I think he said a big dug ran aff wie it, and he couldnae remember the names written on it.

Except we were third bottom. Our points total would have seen us well adrift any other season, Motherwell and County gave us a fighting chance by having dreadful starts as well. Survival was still there for the team GT took over. 10th was still definitely on the cards.

At the end of the day the new manager no matter who he is will get my full backing that's the bottom line.

Just feel Teale has done what he can , getting rid of player were no use, not getting the players he wanted. Put trust in the players he had who generally did not perform to the standard they could. A manager can only do so much , for Teale to turn the corner in such a short space of time was a big ask.

Then its over we are down and out. So Teale tinkers with the team planning for next season getting results. On that basis he should be considered. If not we move on and pray we get the right man to lead us.

Good to see you know how to use the edit button for a few words

Simmer down mate. Judicious use of the edit button is not to be underestimated.

Which brings me onto this mess...

Teale was thrown in at the deep end to take over a club heading for relegation at 100mph. Teale draws up a list of players he wants to bring in on January. Not one of these players can we sign who Teale wants

Then the club is forced to sell its best player the last day of the window.

Here a none experienced manager given a few months to save the club from relagation.

Give me a f**kin break , honestly what the hell did you expect.

Teale has got a young team playing well which is the basis of our team next season. The fact you think Kilmarnock was a friendly game , Ross County a friendly game , Motherwell a friendly game no nether here no there the fact is Teale was thrown in at the deep end and deserves more time especially the way he has the young lads playing against teams that need to win and we don't. Yet we win.

What did I expect? I expected the team - especially our senior pros - to look like they gave a tiny f**k in the games that actually mattered. Teale failed to motivate anybody for crunch games despite holding a position of strength when he took over.

I can't even decipher the bit in bold.

The new manager will be appointed within the next week according to Stewart.He also said clearly relegation is not as bad as it used to be due the fairer distribution of cash.So the picture is rosy we have a good crop of youngsters and Stewart stated that the squad will be augmented with s few experienced pros.We renewed our Season Tickets before the Well match and I am now really looking forward to the new season.COYS.