St. Mirren Looking For A New Manager

i don't think I can forgive the Well & County results, poor selections, poor tactics, and no heart. Also though he now wan'ts credit for bringing in the youth, most of his youth selections were forced on him with Cheesy, Genev & Godwin being unavailable simultaneously. If he was serious about going with youth ahead of next season and to blood them now the pressure is off then why are Tess,Dayton, & gow playing when they are definitely away next week.

I want somebody in that will radically change diets, training regimes and tactics and who will sign 2 or 3 senior players. I'd be just as happy if they came from the lower leagues of the continent even if i'd never heard of them.

i don't think I can forgive the Well & County results, poor selections, poor tactics, and no heart. Also though he now wan'ts credit for bringing in the youth, most of his youth selections were forced on him with Cheesy, Genev & Godwin being unavailable simultaneously. If he was serious about going with youth ahead of next season and to blood them now the pressure is off then why are Tess,Dayton, & gow playing when they are definitely away next week.

I want somebody in that will radically change diets, training regimes and tactics and who will sign 2 or 3 senior players. I'd be just as happy if they came from the lower leagues of the continent even if i'd never heard of them.

Again cannot disagree with that.

Here's my lineup for Hamilton on Saturday:

Kello/Ridgers (Kello if Ridgers is injured still?)

Naismith Baird, Kelly, Tesseller

Dayton Mallan Reilly Morgan

Sadlier

Thompson

A considered and detailed response Oaky, we may not agree, but it's good constructive debate.

One point of order.... 'It's hard to explain sacking a manager who MIGHT have turned a corner.'

GT would NOT be sacked. His contract as manager runs out after the Hamilton game. Whatever happens, at the end of this season, he will not have a 'sacking' on his CV.

One question if I may. Hypothetically speaking, let's say GT achieved survival for our club after the Killie game, and we had then suffered defeats in the last 4 games of the season. Would it be fair for fans to then say he should NOT be awarded with the managers job? I suspect in this scenario 100% of the St Mirren support would insist the BoD furnished GT with a new contract as Manager, regardless of the 4 poor results.

If we agree that is a reasonable view, would it also be reasonable to judge GT on the results prior to relegation being confirmed, rather than on some positive results post relegation?

Yes it is a reasonable view and yes he'll be judged on that.

You're also right about the fans regarding the previous paragraphs but I'll say it again because it needs repeating - Fans are absolutely clueless about the realities of what it takes to run a football club. They are clueless on tactics, signings and finance. None of that should be debatable. Fans are absolutely and utterly useless when it comes to making proper decisions about the club because they follow their hearts rather than their heads.

As for hiring Gary, I'm more inclined to accept that a rookie manager inheriting a team lacking in confidence will take time to turn things around. Many fans expect an instant tranformation because frankly they are clueless as I explained above.

You might think 5 months is an age but I believe it's not.

I also expected many many mistakes on Gary's part as a result of him being a rookie. Fans pounce on ANY mistake and amplify it as a disaster, a disgrace etc. They do this because.....need I repeat?

HOWEVER.

What I also expect to see is some form of improvement.

Forget relegation. Many fans can't because they can't see beyond the end of their own noses but whatever....forget it for now.

Are we playing better now?

Are we getting results?

The answer to both is undoubtedly yes.

Then the remaining question is simply whether that progress is enough to suggest it will continue next season under Gary or whether it would be better under someone else.

Relegation is irrelevant. Fans MUST stop seeing everything in short terms and start looking at the bigger picture.

5 months is a totally insignificant amount of time to expect a new manager to turn things.

Ross County performed miracles this season but fans are simply ignoring this because....well I'm going round in circles now.

The BOD should and probably will ignore the fans on this.

IMO they are quite correct to do so.

You're also right about the fans regarding the previous paragraphs but I'll say it again because it needs repeating - Fans are absolutely clueless about the realities of what it takes to run a football club. They are clueless on tactics, signings and finance. None of that should be debatable. Fans are absolutely and utterly useless when it comes to making proper decisions about the club because they follow their hearts rather than their heads.

As for hiring Gary, I'm more inclined to accept that a rookie manager inheriting a team lacking in confidence will take time to turn things around. Many fans expect an instant tranformation because frankly they are clueless as I explained above.

I also expected many many mistakes on Gary's part as a result of him being a rookie. Fans pounce on ANY mistake and amplify it as a disaster, a disgrace etc. They do this because.....need I repeat?

HOWEVER.

Forget relegation. Many fans can't because they can't see beyond the end of their own noses but whatever....forget it for now.

Are we getting results?

Then the remaining question is simply whether that progress is enough to suggest it will continue next season under Gary or whether it would be better under someone else.

Relegation is irrelevant. Fans MUST stop seeing everything in short terms and start looking at the bigger picture.

5 months is a totally insignificant amount of time to expect a new manager to turn things.

Ross County performed miracles this season but fans are simply ignoring this because....well I'm going round in circles now.

Agree on all points.

HOWEVER.

Are we getting results?

Good to see that you've realised that you're clueless.

HOWEVER.

Are we getting results?

1eye.gif Really? What is the point of this forum at all? You clearly know everything and everyone else is wrong...it's pretty pointless anyone else posting because you are clearly a fount of all knowledge.bangin.gif

Why did he not change it when we still had a chance. Why did he persist with Genev, Goodwin, Arquin etc when we had better in the u20s. He hasn't turned anything around, he discovered purely by chance that we had players better than those he had been picking. He had umpteen games after we beat Thistle when he did nothing. Circumstances dictated picking young lads who have proved they have potential it was no genius on GTs part. Keep GT, keep Gow, keep Goodwin ffs it's very recent diabolical mistakes people want repeated over and over again.

Why did he not change it when we still had a chance. Why did he persist with Genev, Goodwin, Arquin etc when we had better in the u20s. He hasn't turned anything around, he discovered purely by chance that we had players better than those he had been picking. He had umpteen games after we beat Thistle when he did nothing. Circumstances dictated picking young lads who have proved they have potential it was no genius on GTs part. Keep GT, keep Gow, keep Goodwin ffs it's very recent diabolical mistakes people want repeated over and over again.

You would be posting the same thing on here or worse had he went with the young lads and got relegated. Teale would have been slated big time if he had done that. But this is St Mirren fans so we should know you will get hammered no matter what you do

At least he still has some plot left. You lost yours long ago when backing Teale for the managers job and saying that the board can do no wrong.

At least he still has some plot left. You lost yours long ago when backing Teale for the managers job and saying that the board can do no wrong.

Wrong on two counts.

1; Have said I will back any new manager appointed get that bit if not look at my history. I am also saying Teale should be considered for obvious reasons I see and you don't.

2; The board , again look through my history I have wrote they have made massive mistakes this season which has caused the relegation. However they have done a lot of good over the seasons past are die hard fans and so mean their best.

Glad you never make mistakes in your life though I would say drop you anger at the club life is too short.

What has made me laugh out loud in the last week is Gilmour announcing to the press that "Relegation isn't that bad anymore"... FFS! With that reasoning Tealzo must be a shoeing for the managers job as he exceeded expectations by managing to avoid the play-offs!

Why do you not explain what Mr Gilmour really said. He was speaking from a financial sense you now get money for dropping out the league . the championship is also covered by TV now so the bottom line Mr Gilmour meant was its not as big a hit money wise as it was in the days gone bu

You would be posting the same thing on here or worse had he went with the young lads and got relegated. Teale would have been slated big time if he had done that. But this is St Mirren fans so we should know you will get hammered no matter what you do

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Teale had very little chance of success as soon as Ross County went on that crazy run and Motherwell got the chequebook out for Pearson and McDonald. Whatever he'd done was going to meet with criticism from some quarter but that's the job and he wanted it.

Should he get the gig permanently? Not if it was up to me.

In my lifetime of watching Saints we've mostly either gone to the lower divisions or promoted from within when it came to managers and we've had varying degrees of success. This time I'd like to see us invest in an experienced manager that has a decent track record matched with a desire to be successful and a semi-coherent plan of how to develop young talent by surrounding it with experienced pros to bring them on.

So you agree that you're clueless?

What, because I don't agree with you, you mean?

Last time I looked this was a forum for healthy debate on all things St Mirren, not a place for bullies to hide behind their keyboards and make smart remarks!

Thing to bear in mind is. If rangers don't get promoted this season. No change can be made as they have a 3 year cooling period but

Next year league reconstruction will be up for debate again and.there will be massive calls for a 16 team league due to big clubs not being in spl

The "big" Clubs are dead against a top league of 16,it'll never happen.

Forget relegation? Aye no bother lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Is it coincidence that the young players have suddenly found their form and we have started winning again since we have been relegated? I don't think so. Don't get me wrong I am proud of them and the results but the pressure is off them now.

The team got battered against our 2 nearest rivals when the chips were down and it really mattered. If anything Saturdays result proves how badly wrong Gary got it in that Fir Park shambles.

He also had a say in the inept signings we made in the summer. January is a bad month to find talent, we also gave our best talent away, but even at that Arquin,Gow, Dayton,Genev haven't done it for me at all.

No offence to Gary I think he would have learned a lot from this but he will have to cut his ( fantastic ) teeth at the lower level or even assist the new guy if need be.

Time for the fresh start we should have had when Danny left.

HOWEVER.

Are we getting results?

Hopefully they will ignore YOU..... the most clueless fan on the forum!

What, because I don't agree with you, you mean?

Last time I looked this was a forum for healthy debate on all things St Mirren, not a place for bullies to hide behind their keyboards and make smart remarks!

He said all fans are clueless and you agreed with every word!!!

I take it you're a fan?

Edited by Kendo

Forget relegation? Aye no bother lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Is it coincidence that the young players have suddenly found their form and we have started winning again since we have been relegated? I don't think so. Don't get me wrong I am proud of them and the results but the pressure is off them now.

The team got battered against our 2 nearest rivals when the chips were down and it really mattered. If anything Saturdays result proves how badly wrong Gary got it in that Fir Park shambles.

He also had a say in the inept signings we made in the summer. January is a bad month to find talent, we also gave our best talent away, but even at that Arquin,Gow, Dayton,Genev haven't done it for me at all.

No offence to Gary I think he would have learned a lot from this but he will have to cut his ( fantastic ) teeth at the lower level or even assist the new guy if need be.

Time for the fresh start we should have had when Danny left.

Gary does have fantastic teeth. In fact, I'm confident they are the best teeth in Scottish Football.

I am a fan with a keen interest and whilst I am not clueless I do understand the point he is trying to make.

His point is all fans are clueless and this isn't the first time he's said it.

What he really means is all fans with a different opion to him are clueless.

I'm not sure he had a lot to lose to be honest. I don't think the team that played on Saturday would have lost in the manner we did in the two horror shows v Well and RC. Baird looks a better CH than Cheesey, Goodwin or Genev so imo should have been used much sooner. Perhaps internal politics played a part we don't know but that's all down to a manager to manage. The spear throwing incident again didn't reflect well on management. Any managerial appointment is a risk but all it would need is a bad start and Teale would instantly be under pressure and the board would be left contemplating yet another contract terminating pay off which we really cannot afford. A new coaching team with fresh ideas to compliment our emerging young players is the way forward.