St. Mirren Looking For A New Manager

I think Teale will be a good manager in time, even though the games we have won recently were meaningless he has clearly been improving as he goes since taking over. It would be a huge risk to give him the job for next season though as he has a lot still to learn and doesn't have a particularly good knowledge of the Championship I would guess.

Of the names mentioned I would definitely take Murray, a couple of guys I work with are heavily involved in the Dumbarton fans council and they rate him very highly, the gulf in finances and resources between part time teams like Dumbarton and even the likes of Falkirk and QOS is huge. He has comfortabley kept them in the league for the last 2 years and they have been the highest placed part time team in Scotland both of those years. We are never going to get a big name manager in and we aren't going to spend a lot of money on players so we need someone who has a proven track record of working on a tight budget and has good knowledge of the Championship and the teams we will be up against. Murray is the man for the job in my eyes.

If - big if - those are the four candidates, I'm very disappointed and surprised that we haven't been able to attract a higher class of applicant. One by one:

Stark: A Tommy Craig-esque figure. Has been cutting around the game for decades as a good coach, but has never been a successful full time manager. Had two shots at full time management and failed miserably at both St Johnstone and Morton. Despite smaller countries like Norway, Belarus and Iceland qualifying for major under 21 tournaments during Starks reign at Scotland u21's, he never managed it.

There's absolutely nothing in his CV that suggests he would be a good appointment.

Adams: A cheque book manager who's success was bankrolled by Roy McGregor. It's a familiar pattern at County for the last 3 seasons. They start the season with the intention of breaking even, and by January they find themselves in the mire and Roy gets his money out to clear the squad out and bails them out. In 12/13 they went from 11th in January to finishing top 6, 13/14 from 11th in March to 7th, 14/15 12th in January to safety. By the third season McGregor and the County fans were sick of Adams inability to take the club forward under a sustainable budget and sacked him.

Also he has a complete disregard for youth products - Tony Dingwall only came through after he left - and he's also a prick to boot who frequently gets himself in trouble with the SFA. Not a fit for what SGG has said we need at St Mirren, no thanks.

That leaves Murray: No doubt his achievements last year were pretty impressive, taking Dumbarton from adrift to safety. This year he's managed to keep their head above water too. Although it is other part time teams he finished ahead, and Livi who I believe are partly part time and had 5 point deduction. Dumbarton finished 26 points behind QOTS in 4th and only 7 points clear of Alloa in 11th. I also know there's a school of thought that attribute a lot of Dumbarton's success to the coaching of Jack Ross, and there was a bit of a drop off in results after he left.

Murray is certainly the most appealing of those 3 candidates, but goodness me it's quite a punt. We're talking about a 34 year old guy with no full time management experience, no real network of contacts down south and no track record of bringing through youngsters. Is he worth the financial risk of paying off Teale, any compensation due to Dumbarton and the new contract for him? Is he clearly a much better option that would make that risk worthwhile?

Not for me. I've said already I can see the merits in some fans wanting Teale sacked and some fans wanting him kept. In my opinion if there's an outstanding candidate he should be sacked and replaced with said candidate, if there isn't he should be kept. None of those candidates are even nearly outstanding for me, and if - again, big if - they are our only alternatives then I think we should stick with Teale.

Ian Murray has won nothing as a professional manager, and has narrowly avoided relegation performing worse in a lower league than our clusterf**k of a season. Why does this put him in the frame for the job?

Has Ian Murray shagged your wife or something?

He's a good young manager who has done well at Dumbarton. He was also at rangers at the same time as thommo, him as assistant could be the dream team.

That leaves Murray: No doubt his achievements last year were pretty impressive, taking Dumbarton from adrift to safety. This year he's managed to keep their head above water too. Although it is other part time teams he finished ahead, and Livi who I believe are partly part time and had 5 point deduction. Dumbarton finished 26 points behind QOTS in 4th and only 7 points clear of Alloa in 11th. I also know there's a school of thought that attribute a lot of Dumbarton's success to the coaching of Jack Ross, and there was a bit of a drop off in results after he left.

There seem to be quite a few folk - and I include myself in this - who don't realise this is the third year Murray has been in charge at Dumbarton. In between keeping them up and finishing in seventh he managed to get them to fifth, just a few points off a place in the play-offs. Good going in my book and appointing him on the back of that last summer would have made more sense than going with Craig.

The introduction of Hibs, Hearts and Rangers will be part of the reason why they've gone back the way in league position this season, although obviously there's more to it than that.

Here's the Lord's take on this alleged " Shit List" that has apparently been leaked from the club....again!

Other than Tealzo it only names candidates that most on here can easily find a reason why they don't want one, or any of them at the club. So the board can make it look like a better the devil you know situation when the Give it to Tealzo, or compound our downward spiral by appointing Murray.

In short this was done just before Danny's appointment to say basically "well look at the shit thats available, this guy smells the least of the bunch"

Exactly the same M.O. The deployed when Danny got the gig.

You know I do believe you are starting to get the idea.

Think of it as me knowing my limitations as regards the financing, tactics and signing processes of the game and behaving accordingly.

That's why you'll rarely see me have a go at those running our club or those managing the team or playing the game.

I know my limitations.

Do you?

Either stop taking this forum so seriously or find another hobby before unhappiness overwhelms you.

I can confirm from a reliable source that the 2 other candidates being interviewed on Thursday are NOT Billy Stark and Derek Adams, as they are Jamie Fullarton and Lee Sinnott.

They're both more interesting than the aforementioned 3 IMO.

Sinnot in particular. Extensive experience in the English football league and got Altrincham promoted two seasons ago and kept them up this season.

My top 4.............

1. Tealey

2. Adams

3. Murray

4. Stark

My top 4.............

1. Tealey

2. Adams

3. Murray

4. Stark

I'm with you Shull its got to be Teale he has found a winning formula with a bunch of kids.

You look at goals against Dumbarton and it makes for scary reading you could not say they have had a good season.

Stark just seems dour not a motivator.

Adams you might not like what he has said in the past but he speaks with passion.

So Teale for me hopefully confirmed before the Hamilton game

I cannot get my head around anyone wanting to keep Teale in post. He has done absolutely nothing to demonstrate that he has the necessary credentials, and is the only one who has been in a position to do so.

What happened to the concept of a clear out? While the current BoD remain in place, this has to start with the manager. Teale has all the baggage of being at the club, and led us to relegation. It was a tall order after the Craig debacle, but we were still very much in with a shout of avoiding automatic relegation at least, when Teale took over.

I can't think of any reason to keep Teale in post other than it following the trend of decisions made by the Board. After everything that has transpired, to continue down this route would be utterly flawed.

Perhaps there are further interviews taking place on the Friday? It's possible that the four names mentioned might not be the final shortlist.

Just wishful thinking on my part, really...don't particularly want any of the four.

Edited by ulysses

I cannot get my head around anyone wanting to keep Teale in post. He has done absolutely nothing to demonstrate that he has the necessary credentials, and is the only one who has been in a position to do so.

What happened to the concept of a clear out? While the current BoD remain in place, this has to start with the manager. Teale has all the baggage of being at the club, and led us to relegation. It was a tall order after the Craig debacle, but we were still very much in with a shout of avoiding automatic relegation at least, when Teale took over.

I can't think of any reason to keep Teale in post other than it following the trend of decisions made by the Board. After everything that has transpired, to continue down this route would be utterly flawed.

Teale's Trumpets are relegated yet people think he is the right man for the job. He has more backing than Danny Lennon and Gus yet has done a horrendous job and signed duds.

See if Teale gets the job, brings in his own players and we get off to a poor start, then we're back to square one.

New broom, start again, maybe take a chance that we throw the baby out with the bath water, but make sure we've got a clean slate with fresh ideas that can refresh the club at all levels. So if it is Murray or Fullarton or Sinnott (and I have to say that it was Flareybob who mentioned those names, and his reputation is somewhat tarnished after the shocking disappointment of Billy Clabby's non appearance), let's start afresh.

Perhaps its because he was given a couple of month in his first managerial post to save a club from going down.

That he could not get the players he wanted in to stave off relegation

That is a short space of time he has found a winning formula with a bunch of kids who will be the basis of next season.

That he has played at the highest level including internationals.

See if Teale gets the job, brings in his own players and we get off to a poor start, then we're back to square one.

New broom, start again, maybe take a chance that we throw the baby out with the bath water, but make sure we've got a clean slate with fresh ideas that can refresh the club at all levels. So if it is Murray or Fullarton or Sinnott (and I have to say that it was Flareybob who mentioned those names, and his reputation is somewhat tarnished after the shocking disappointment of Billy Clabby's non appearance), let's start afresh.

What happens if he gets off to a winning start , after all he is on a run just now and will probably beat Hamilton on Saturday. Not bad for a young manager only a few month into his job.

It has to be remembered the time scale he was given for us to stay up / the fact he could not get the players he wanted in / the fact he has found a winning formula.

Tell me what will happen if Murray comes in and loses his first 8 games. Please tell me

Perhaps its because he was given a couple of month in his first managerial post to save a club from going down.
That he could not get the players he wanted in to stave off relegation
That is a short space of time he has found a winning formula with a bunch of kids who will be the basis of next season.
That he has played at the highest level including internationals.

^^^ That is a very revisionist viewpoint.

Firstly, he was given almost five months, not a 'couple'.

Secondly, he must surely accept part of the blame for failing to attract the players he wanted, and for signing dross/players in the wrong positions.

Thirdly, he less found a winning formula, as stumbled across one when he chucked it once we were relegated.

With that, I'm out. This is going round in circles and your viewpoint is quite bizarrely skewed.

Edited by Magic Monkey