Young Players Signing Up - Baird, Morgan Cuddihy

Good news, IMO. Though we'll need some experience to complement this, of course.

http://www.saintmirren.net/pages/?p=43404

It has been confirmed this afternoon that Jack Baird and Lewis Morgan have both agreed two year extensions to their contract as they graduate from the Academy to the first team squad.

Under-20 player Barry Cuddihy has also signed up for another year with the option of another year after that.

All three players made their first team debuts this season and will be looking to make their mark when Saints start the new season in the Championship

Edited by Magic Monkey

Who is making these contract decisions?

Ok we will...but who is making the decision?

Presumably our manager with the approval of our board.

Not sure what the problem is TBH. These boys are out of contract presumably and we don't want them walking away for nowt.

Presumably our manager with the approval of our board.

Not sure what the problem is TBH. These boys are out of contract presumably and we don't want them walking away for nowt.

No problem, i was just winding Shull up. tongue.png Doesn't matter who signs them youth will be the way forward next year and signing up our best young players is a must.

The club has invested a huge amount in the Academy. I keep saying the same thing, but it really is the future of our club.

It's starting to deliver now, and the onus will be on these young players to step up to the plate next season.

Anyone expecting dozens of new arrivals to the squad in the summer is going to be disappointed, I reckon at most we will be looking to bring in 5 or 6 experienced pros and supplementing them in the first team with the likes of Kelly, Sadlier, Naismith, Mallan, Brown, Morgan, Reilly, Baird and Cuddihy.

The club has invested a huge amount in the Academy. I keep saying the same thing, but it really is the future of our club.

It's starting to deliver now, and the onus will be on these young players to step up to the plate next season.

Anyone expecting dozens of new arrivals to the squad in the summer is going to be disappointed, I reckon at most we will be looking to bring in 5 or 6 experienced pros and supplementing them in the first team with the likes of Kelly, Sadlier, Naismith, Mallan, Brown, Morgan, Reilly, Baird and Cuddihy.

Its the best way to go for a bright future

If we can bring in the right type of experienced player , I think we'll do well .

We need to stay away from the big headed, low quality , bad attitude type we've unfortunately been lumbered with the last couple of seasons .

I wouldn't want it any other way.... If you look at any successful team there is a good blend of youth and experience but a good manager is also crucial.

Everyone expects a young squad next season but the players who make up that squad should be decided by the next manager, not the one who ceases to be manager in 10 days time.

The next manager may not rate these players who've just been given two year contracts and may have had his own thoughts on young players to be signed.

I find it bizarre that players are being given new contracts prior to the appointment of a new management team.

Not at all these kids would be recommended by the youth development team as being ready to step up to the first team squad. As youth players Las season any compensation would be very low, so this one of the more positive decisions the board have made this season. Add to that no manager arrives at a club with no newly promoted players, not even Blackpool Las season. Edited by Iamhammer

This is the way i had always wished for the club to operate. Making use of our academy and promoting players, if good enough to the first team and building out from there.

I think if the best bunch are identified, the board will act upon securing their services. These players are the future of our club and I believe if they are good enough, then lets go with it.

It's now trying to convince the next line of best pick youngsters within the local community and beyond, that their futures would be best served at St Mirren, one of the best academy set ups in the country, who give youth a chance.

Not at all these kids would be recommended by the youth development team as being ready to step up to the first team squad. As youth players Las season any compensation would be very low, so this one of the more positive decisions the board have made this season. Add to that no manager arrives at a club with no newly promoted players, not even Blackpool Las season.

I tend to agree with that given the lads could leave for nothing if they weren't offered new deals.

One thing though.

Were you having a "T" break when you wrote this?whistling.gif

The problem is hearts had good youth players. Ours are ordinary at best!

That's my fear. If they are good and ready for the step up - fine. If we are just playing them so we can boast about the number of academy kids we have in the team (which seemed to be why Danny made some of the subs he did when we were getting gubbed!) then not so good. All well and good playing youngsters, but if we're just doing it so we can say we're playing youngsters and because they're cheap then it's not much good. I don't know enough about these players to comment either way but after seeing us against Carlisle last season I certainly got the impression we were playing kids just because we could and other teams were, not because they were ready. Of course, we're about to play at a lower level and these guys will have had another year of development.

Anyone know much about these lads? Obviously Baird is a defender, think the other two are midfielders but not sure what sort. Hope they, and all our other youngsters, hit the gym all too much. Not calling for a return to the old days of Scottish football where physicality was all that matter but our young boys always seem to look as if they'd get blown away by a strong wind.

That's my fear. If they are good and ready for the step up - fine. If we are just playing them so we can boast about the number of academy kids we have in the team (which seemed to be why Danny made some of the subs he did when we were getting gubbed!) then not so good. All well and good playing youngsters, but if we're just doing it so we can say we're playing youngsters and because they're cheap then it's not much good. I don't know enough about these players to comment either way but after seeing us against Carlisle last season I certainly got the impression we were playing kids just because we could and other teams were, not because they were ready. Of course, we're about to play at a lower level and these guys will have had another year of development.

Anyone know much about these lads? Obviously Baird is a defender, think the other two are midfielders but not sure what sort. Hope they, and all our other youngsters, hit the gym all too much. Not calling for a return to the old days of Scottish football where physicality was all that matter but our young boys always seem to look as if they'd get blown away by a strong wind.

It's more to do with saving money on wages than being able to boast about the number of youths we have in the team

I believe McLear is a winger not sure about Cuddihy.

It's more to do with saving money on wages than being able to boast about the number of youths we have in the team

We are a club who do not have a lot of money but you know that already mate. We have an Academy for a reason so should make full use of its conveyer belt . I cant pass judgment on players I have never seen however I trust in our employees recommendations .

I'm feeling up-beat looking forward to the coming season not because I have elusions of us running away with the league more to do with seeing youth an experienced players hopefully trying their best making us at least competitive. The fact most games will be a Saturday 3pm kick off time is the icing on the cake.

I don't think our younger players have done that badly this season .

I think they've been let down by the so called experienced ones .

Too much pressure has been heaped on them very early in their careers .

Next season they will now have this bad experience to look back on , and will hopefully be wiser for it .