Young Players Signing Up - Baird, Morgan Cuddihy

I don't think it is unique to St Mirren when was the last decent striker produced by Partick, Hamilton, Killie, Morton Old scum etc. McShane has been unlucky with injuries and Jack Smith is still very young and might come good. Dorrens could have been the one, but chose to put his academic career first. And I rate Mitchell.

But leaving that aside there clearly is a problem. Griffiths, Russell, May, Shankland, Watt, there are players out there, but when it comes to picking them up at this level we seem to miss out. One thing that all of these players have is physical attributes, strength, speed, sharpness. It's assumed that you cannot coach that but I think you can. And there also mental qualities, focus, calm, dig and again I think you can coach that. The problem is that these are not the qualities that Largs mafia value who are looking for work rate, team work, and keeping possession. While these are good qualities in a defender or a midfielder, for a striker they not really what its about. How many times have we seen players pass the ball when they should be taking responsibility to take on a man in the box and get a shot away.

When watching the U20s at that level, Smith and Scullion could both score goals, because they were prepared to have a go. Moving up a level, having a go is all very well but you then need to back that up with being physically able to get away from your marker, I'm not sure at the top level these players have that, although if Scullion worked on his speed he could have and Smith needs to work on both speed and strength.

The reason Griffiths, May and Russell are top players is about them being professional on the training ground and making themselves better players at every opportunity. That means working on things beyond simple training, Sadly none of our strikers seem to have that mentality

The strikers you mentioned are from the east coast

The best forwards in our catchment are hoovered up by the old scum

They don't let these players go as easily as defenders and midfielders which we pick up from them quite often

Our scouting system needs looked at as i have still yet to see a St Mirren scout at any youth games and i have been involved in youth football for nearly 20 years

Everyone expects a young squad next season but the players who make up that squad should be decided by the next manager, not the one who ceases to be manager in 10 days time.

The next manager may not rate these players who've just been given two year contracts and may have had his own thoughts on young players to be signed.

what a ray of sunshine

what a ray of sunshine

Agree with that, but you are equally not going to invest in Youth and then allow the better more promising young players to be out of contract and or on new contracts that then tie them to the club are you?

Baird doesn't look out of place at this level. Obviously still raw at this level but has done well, especially when you consider he's playing alongside a fullback with two years of experience.

Think that's probably the longest I've seen Morgan as he usually gets 5-10 min spells when the result is already settled. Looked decent (aside from being as culpable as the others in that stramash) and has a bit of pace. Would rather see him on the wing then Wylde next season.

• 2 weeks later...

Adam Brown been released, wee bit surprised by that as thought he looked promising and still relatively young.

There seemed to be other players in front of him in the pecking order that have came through and had more game time. I'm sure he will find a decent enough club in the summer. All the best to him.

There seemed to be other players in front of him in the pecking order that have came through and had more game time. I'm sure he will find a decent enough club in the summer. All the best to him.

Was that the boy who played against Hamilton first home game?

The one who appeared lost and didn't know what position he was playing?

Yeah last season he looked very good. Was lost when he played for the big team (as were a good few others). However where would he be close to first pick. In centre mid we have Mallen, McGinn, Goodwin and Reilly. Wide we have Mclear, Morgan. I think he'll get a gig easy enough if he wants it.

I must admit I've never watched an under-20's match but when I saw Brown feature in the first team I thought he looked well out of his depth.

Might be being harsh and maybe he deserved more of a chance.

If Reilly spent the summer in the gym he might still have a chance at making it. Has ability in there, but he's far too lightweight for me.

I must admit I've never watched an under-20's match but when I saw Brown feature in the first team I thought he looked well out of his depth.

Might be being harsh and maybe he deserved more of a chance.

If Reilly spent the summer in the gym he might still have a chance at making it. Has ability in there, but he's far too lightweight for me.

Tommy Craig hung him out to dry as he was switched all over the place

Pity as he looked promising pre-season out on the wing

Looks like he never recovered from that game