Gary Teale. - St Mirren. Legend

No change in view from me, just never made my views on the manager public.

But I must say, I don't understand this view that these recent games have been meaningless, I would understand that statement if it had they been meaningless for both teams but they haven't have they! Both Ross County & Motherwell needed to win these last two games against us to make themselves safe, both went into the game needing to win, went ahead ahead but conceded twice and lost in the last minutes of the game.

Now I am a glass half full type of person and a win is a win, agreed we had nothing to play for but the opposition in both games did, so to my mind that makes both these last two wins very satisfying and something to build on. Come on, is it not better to go down into the Championship with a young nucleus of a team with a few wins under their belt in readiness for next season with something to build on than to continue the losing streak

Another win next week in what is I agree a meaningless game!

If it ain't broken why try to fix it!

Sorry, Ditto. I don't care about other teams. If they don't show up on the day when they need to pull a performance out the hat, well that's their problem. Fact of the matter is, both games were meaningless to us, so were meaningless games. Perhaps if the same amount of application and tactical nous was shown by our own management when it was absolutely required, we'd be going to NDP on Saturday dreaming of the greatest of escapes. As it was though, we went down, abjectly, without so much as a whimper.

It's broken, bud but it's being held together with sellotape. It needs fixed.

Edited by djchapsticks

I have always been of the stance that I want new management structure in place.Gary is learning his trade and has yet to attain his coaching badges.Personally I would like him to be retained as a no2.What I will say however is that I was immensely impressed with our younger players yesterday.Mallon of course is a gem but players like Baird Kelly and Naismith performed with great promise.For once I really thought Reilly was good and perhaps is worthy of a new contract.

I think I would come up just sort of saying Teale should get the job, although I understand why some fans are wanting him to get a chance. I think most Saints fans I spoke to out and about in Paisley last night wanted him to get a shot next season, would seem the opposite on here.

There's no doubt he's got a lot of things wrong in his time in charge. The signings of Arquin, Genev, Gow and Sonupe have been failures. The early substitution of his good signing Dayton against St Johnstone and Kilmarnock was infuriatingly baffling and we went on to lose both games.

The two real big negatives in his tenure were unquestionably the performances against Well and County at the beginning of April. I don't think any of us really seen them coming.

In every game in his tenure between us and a fellow bottom six team before then it had been close. Then when it mattered we just completely collapsed and we got an absolute hounding in both matches, the aggregate score of 8-0 flattered us.

I thought we played relatively well against Celtic in the match before them, and we comfortably beat Killie in the match after them. Teale obviously must take his share of the blame for those performances, but our senior pros badly let him and us down on both occasions.

He's certainly got a lot wrong and I'm sure he'd admit that himself. However, in mitigation he is a rookie manager and he was thrown in the deep end. Every rookie manager will make mistakes. For him to lose our best player on the 31st of January and being forced to replace him with free agents while battling against relegation... Yeah it's not exactly been a gentle baptism in the world of management.

Although he has got a lot wrong, I would also say he's got quite a bit right. He's clearly got a good relationship with the young players and he's played a big part in the development of Mallan and Baird into first team players. He's also shown he has the wherewithal to make some big decisions.

I don't think it's fair to label the last 3 wins as meaningless games. They were for us, but they weren't for the teams we were playing. Next week is a meaningless game certainly, and if we win it we will match our points total from 2010/11...

To fall behind to motivated County and Well sides in successive weeks, and to come back to win both matches when we have nothing to play for shows a real hunger within the squad. It would have been the easiest thing in the world for them to down tools after the dodgy penalties went in. They didn't though, they kept going and got two wins. The current team are clearly playing for the manager.

On the subject of yet more dodgy penalties going against us in recent weeks, I must say Teale is the unluckiest manager I've ever seen at Saints in terms of reffing decisions.

It goes back to his first home game in charge against Well before Christmas, when we get a player incorrectly sent off and score a perfectly good goal which wasn't given. We then go on to have several key decisions go against us, I would list them all but I don't have all day. If even half of them had went for us instead of against us we'd have had a far better shot at staying up.

So yeah I can see both sides of the argument. I wouldn't give Teale the job now, but I would have him as the front runner. Before making a decision we must interview and properly look at other candidates. If there's clearly a better alternative go with him, if not then stick with Teale.

I would like a decision this month though, we must start planning for next season ASAP and we can't do that until we have a manager.

^^^^^

Yes the thing is we could do worse, and probably will. You can only say that you'd give Teale the job once you see the other candidates. At the moment as far as I'm aware he's the only hat in the ring. (other than Alex Miller 1eye.gif ) No to Stark, No Calderwood. Yes to Davis, No to Adams, No to Reid , Yes to Lambert, Yes to Spragia (is that genuine?) Yes to Clarke, No Malky McKay, No to Owen Coyle.

So how many realistic options are there? Emm none?

He's done ok other that the blip I missed (thank f*ck for them two weeks in jail). Knows the club, knows where we want to go and lets face it, Championship is shite, A team with Thommo, Mallen, McGinn and Goodwin, Tess, Kelly, Naismith, Baird should stroll it with Shull as manager.

whistling.gif

Next season we will have a squad of young boys and no budget, who's going to come into that?

So yeah I can see both sides of the argument. I wouldn't give Teale the job now, but I would have him as the front runner. Before making a decision we must interview and properly look at other candidates. If there's clearly a better alternative go with him, if not then stick with Teale.

I would like a decision this month though, we must start planning for next season ASAP and we can't do that until we have a manager.

These two points are important to remember.

Firstly we need a plan asap given the number of players in our squad who will be out of contract and the number being released from other clubs for the new permanent manager to decide about.

Secondly GT has another year of his contract to run unless he signed another one to become temporary manager...this adds further emphasis to the costs having to be weighed up either way and him indeed being front runner for now at least.

Edited by Bart Simpson

Prior to the Teale becoming Caretaker manager Teale helped out with the coaching of the U20's team so he clearly knew when he took on the job the ability of these players which were at his disposal.

He brought in several players in January. Pretty much every single one of them have flopped part from Dayton. Now let's remember he could have brought in less players and more quality - the manager is given a budget and and can spend it how he wishes. Was this not part of the reason why DL and TC were not successful in the league?

We got a bit of a new manager bounce when Teale took over then it was back to the same old. The fact he could not get the players showing any fight or desire in the Motherwell and Ross County games when it was our last chance really highlighted his management weaknesses.

Yes he has got a few good results with the young boys in the past few games. But remember, these are games that the players have absolutely no pressure on them. It happens to every team once they are relegated they end up winning a few games.

In conclusion Teale has failed and a total clear out and rebuilding process is required.

Teale has also played a blinder in terms of stopping playing when he became manager as it means the BoD can't demote him back to a player as he will not have played for the best part of a year.

Goodwin is defensively poor when played at the back and is far too slow for the midfield. His time is up.

As for Thompson, as much as it pains me to say, I think his time is up as well. He's finished as a player and hasn't recovered from the injury he was carrying. I've no reason to disbelieve when people state they've heard Thompson say things about the running of the club because I know a few people who are friends with Thompson and they've told me similar. I think he's just been a bit too vocal at times and may be causing some uncertainty within the club.

I think it would be best for us to close this chapter, let the three of them go and start afresh with a new management team with a good young bunch of talented players with plenty room for them to bring him their own players as well.

As much as i respect Teale, a cup winning legend, a clearout is required, including senior pros and the management team.

There is too much failure happened at the club this season and i feel that a mixture of personality clashes has possibly shook up our dressing room. I think it seems apart from Tommy Craig getting the gig, the second biggest mistake was adding current senior playing squad members to the coaching staff.

Someone fresh, with no connection to the club needs to come in and shake the squad up and add some experienced pros to the young squad we already have in place.

Edited by kevo_smfc

Tam Teale is on record saying he could not get the players he wanted in on January they all signed for other clubs so that must have came down to money. He was thrown in at the deep end and ended up having to bring in anyone by the looks of it in hope.

So its not just the manager that's the problem. Our negations are bad we should be cutting down the squad so there is room for a better quality player. The board room should be looking at that.

Another area that needs looked at is the contracts of young players. How we are paasing on players for years for peanuts while the Hamilton's can bring in plenty of cash. This has been a problem at Saints for years. We could take a leaf out of Dundee Unt book.

Would still rather have Teale than Alex Miller the football under him made Gus McPhersons teams look like Brazil. As for Stark to me he just seems dour every time he opens his mouth not a motivator.

Tam Teale is on record saying he could not get the players he wanted in on January they all signed for other clubs so that must have came down to money. He was thrown in at the deep end and ended up having to bring in anyone by the looks of it in hope.

So its not just the manager that's the problem. Our negations are bad we should be cutting down the squad so there is room for a better quality player. The board room should be looking at that.

Another area that needs looked at is the contracts of young players. How we are paasing on players for years for peanuts while the Hamilton's can bring in plenty of cash. This has been a problem at Saints for years. We could take a leaf out of Dundee Unt book.

Would still rather have Teale than Alex Miller the football under him made Gus McPhersons teams look like Brazil. As for Stark to me he just seems dour every time he opens his mouth not a motivator.

Scott Mcdonald and Stephen Pearson were always going to choose Motherwell over us. Fraser Fyvies move to Hibs seems to have worked more in his favour too, joining a bigger club playing at the same level as us at the very least next season.

As much as i respect Teale, a cup winning legend, a clearout is required, including senior pros and the management team.

There is too much failure happened at the club this season and i feel that a mixture of personality clashes has possibly shook up our dressing room. I think it seems apart from Tommy Craig getting the gig, the second biggest mistake was adding current senior playing squad members to the coaching staff.

Someone fresh, with no connection to the club needs to come in and shake the squad up and add some experienced pros to the young squad we already have in place.

so who do you suggest

i hope we get in some one new who can take an overall view off what needs done

get rid off over rated premadonna and get in hard working players

who give 100% every game .

no old pals act , thats what we wil get with teale

new players ,new tactics and entertaining attacking football

score plenty ,win at home

not much too ask for

that rules out teale ,didnt do in this league no chance in championship

not enough experience

No change in view from me, just never made my views on the manager public.

But I must say, I don't understand this view that these recent games have been meaningless, I would understand that statement if it had they been meaningless for both teams but they haven't have they! Both Ross County & Motherwell needed to win these last two games against us to make themselves safe, both went into the game needing to win, went ahead ahead but conceded twice and lost in the last minutes of the game.

Now I am a glass half full type of person and a win is a win, agreed we had nothing to play for but the opposition in both games did, so to my mind that makes both these last two wins very satisfying and something to build on. Come on, is it not better to go down into the Championship with a young nucleus of a team with a few wins under their belt in readiness for next season with something to build on than to continue the losing streak

Another win next week in what is I agree a meaningless game!

If it ain't broken why try to fix it!

It's been broken all season long.

I think the main reason is that we haven't actually produced any players of the quality of McCarthy, McArthur, Gauld & Armstrong!

Lappin & McGinn went for peanuts because they just aren't in the same league as the guys being sold by other clubs.

You are right though. This is an area that needs looking at.

And what we need to do is get rod of Longwell and all his coaches and get in people who know what they are doing!

Longwell's 10 years in charge have been a disaster.

The current management duo have presided over some of the worst saints performances i have ever seen, strange tactics and even stranger substitutions in some games. They have not impressed me at all. I would like us to have a new management team in place asap.