Alex Miller

Sorry. Did any of you actualy listen to Alex miller. He said difference between us And hibs. Coming straight back up. Is that hibs have good quality youngsters. And he feels that st mirren don't have that. Maybe. A good reason why he didn't get a chance.

I did think that was a funny comment to make...given the positions he felt he would help with...

ETA: that said his experience as a coach speaks volumes. Only one side of the story but would have to think that experience would have helped in some capacity...

Edited by Bart Simpson

He inherited a good side and then ruined it. Treated Marc Filton like a piece of shite. Also changed our attacking style of football. Don't rate this guy at all. Right up there with David Hay in my book.

I already said he treated Marc Fulton badly. He was only in his 30s himself at the time.

I already said I didn't rate his man management. That was 30 years ago.

He did indeed have the team play more defensive football... kerping us in the top half of the league and regular cup semi finals.

He developed a number of young players and his value to St Mirren was only truly evident after his departure when his players and signings went on to win the Scottish Cup.

He also bought Ian Ferguson to the club who was a big part of the Cup winning team and who we sold for big money

He had to get rid of the big earners as we were losing money over fist.

He got rid of these top players and still kept us safe in the top league when it was only 10 teams

Also good cup runs every season and European football also

Aye he was shite right enough

Glad he left and hope he never comes back. Our recollection of his achievements clearly differs.

Sorry. Did any of you actualy listen to Alex miller. He said difference between us And hibs. Coming straight back up. Is that hibs have good quality youngsters. And he feels that st mirren don't have that. Maybe. A good reason why he didn't get a chance.

Was her not referring to quality pro's rather than young players? I think we would all agree that we need more quality as our signings over the last 18 months have been horrific

Glad he left and hope he never comes back. Our recollection of his achievements clearly differs.

I was the same as you at the time

Wasn't happy at Stark,Richardson,Thompson,McDougall,McCormick,Fulton and McAvennie leaving

A few of those players didn't want to leave but Miller was under orders to get them off the wage bill

Hence the bad feeling between him and a few players.

I was there at Crappielow where Mark Fulton was clearly injured and made to play on where we still had subs to come on

I wondered why he did that at the time as Fulton ended up out for months after the game

He signed big Basil a week later and he did well and Fulton was away for a song in the summer

It's only after Miller left and the managers that came after him that you can see the good job he did

Was her not referring to quality pro's rather than young players? I think we would all agree that we need more quality as our signings over the last 18 months have been horrific

He may have been but he had just finished talking about young Hibs players therefore seemed a direct comparison with Saints young players...may just have been my understanding but prior to that had me questioning why we apparently hadn't taken his enquiry further... Edited by Bart Simpson

I think you will find that Alex regularly played Fulton at Hibs.There is absolutely no question that Alex did s great job for us which is why Hibs wanted him.Believe me Alex thought long and hard about leaving us because he knew we were on the verge of something big.Signing Ferguson from Clyde for just £60k was a master stroke and this proved his eye for a gem

I was the same as you at the time

Wasn't happy at Stark,Richardson,Thompson,McDougall,McCormick,Fulton and McAvennie leaving

A few of those players didn't want to leave but Miller was under orders to get them off the wage bill

Hence the bad feeling between him and a few players.

I was there at Crappielow where Mark Fulton was clearly injured and made to play on where we still had subs to come on

I wondered why he did that at the time as Fulton ended up out for months after the game

He signed big Basil a week later and he did well and Fulton was away for a song in the summer

It's only after Miller left and the managers that came after him that you can see the good job he did

The players you mention are my personal all time favourites and heros - probably yours too and we haven't seen their like since. We both remember Miller well and I take my hat off to you for being much more forgiving.

I think you will find that Alex regularly played Fulton at Hibs.There is absolutely no question that Alex did s great job for us which is why Hibs wanted him.Believe me Alex thought long and hard about leaving us because he knew we were on the verge of something big.Signing Ferguson from Clyde for just £60k was a master stroke and this proved his eye for a gem

I think you will find Miller chased Fulton out of Hibs as well and Marc became a polis after that.

Don't know if he could have been the right man for the job or not, but to not even get a response is disgraceful. Very unprofessional if true.

I think St Mirren are very professional when it comes to responding to enquires of any sort. The approach sound like one of those old Largs coach mafia type deals. Some red nosed old journo asked to put a word in that Miller might be available and probably told thanks but no thanks.

Fulton joined the Lothian Police at the end of his career.magnus you obviously don't rate Miller for whatever season and we are entitled to our opinions of course.You cannot argue however that it was basically his side that won the cup with the exception of Clarke for whom we got £400k plus a keeper.Good deal considering he was brought from the junior ranks.Above all however was the huge profit of around £840k we made on the sale of Fergie.I will just leave it at that.

Fulton joined the Lothian Police at the end of his career.magnus you obviously don't rate Miller for whatever season and we are entitled to our opinions of course.You cannot argue however that it was basically his side that won the cup with the exception of Clarke for whom we got £400k plus a keeper.Good deal considering he was brought from the junior ranks.Above all however was the huge profit of around £840k we made on the sale of Fergie.I will just leave it at that.

I dont think thats entirely true. If my memory serves me right , Fulton left football before he turned Thirty. I believe he simply "fell out" with football.

I'm finding this thread a bit bizarre. Alex Miller started off great with us but ended playing such a boring style of football that I seem to remember that many were happy when he went to Hibs. He fell out with Fulton, MacDougall & Thomson who were all sold for relative buttons. We seem to have had a fractured dressing room this season, I can't imagine that Alex Miller would've improved things in that aspect. But it was nice of him to deign to offer his valuable services seeing as he's er. ....so busy!

Alex miller talking a huge amount of sense today. Said thommo wanted job and so did teale and Goodwin which was unhealthy. He offered his services to put something back. He was happy to come in without any contract and work for a month to see if they liked him. Then he would work for same wage as tommy had without contract. I cannot understand why we could not have brought him in with teale instead of longwell?

That was probably why the club didn't reply. Imagine wanting paid by the club.

It was Alex team that really won the cup for us in 87 you don't coach at Liverpool unless your top drawer.Remember Alex unearthed gems like Paul Lambert made a real player of Stevie Clarke.What an absolute shocker here from Mr Gilmour.

Miller didn't "unearth" Paul Lambert.

He would have been there irrespective of who the manager was.

That was back in the day that we had a scouting set up that brought us guys like Lambert, McWhirter, Clarke, Brian Hamilton, Winnie, Cameon and before that, Weir, McAvennie, etc.

Compare that with the last 10 years that David Longwell has been in charge of the youth set up...

With regards to MIller's signings, the big gem that he did actually unearth was, of course, Ian Ferguson. He was the main reason we won the Scottish Cup. Miller also brought in Neil Cooper and Derek Hamilton for peanuts and signed Kenny McDowall & Paul Chalmers.

I did always wonder about some of his other transfer dealings however. He obviously didn't like Mark Fulton and he swapped John McCormack for Peter Mackie. He also let Frank McDougall go cheaply for £100k and spent it all on Brian Gallagher & Jim Rooney. There were a number of players picked up cheaply by other clubs around the same time who would have been better, eg Connor Brown, Coyne & Wright at Dundee, Clark, Colquohoun, Levein & Black at Hearts, Durie at Hibs.

Actually, just listing these names shows how good Scottish football was back then!

Edited by nosferatu

Offering to come in at full salary is not a big favour. That's him asking for the job. He was shite first time round. Well done Mr Gilmour that's one bullet dodged.

Miller offering his services for free initially then for same wage as tommy on a non contract basis was a good deal for us. We could have paired him as the older director of football with Gary as coach. You don't assist at two major championships or with Liverpool and not have something. I fail to see how you actually can't see this would have been a good thing Magnus? Instead we appoint two novices and are now relegated. Couldn't we have just tried to stay up with an older man in charge? Maybe you are happy with the job teale and long well done but it wasn't good enough. Shull teale won't get the gig pal as the board will be too afraid to appoint within again after this seasons shambles

Miller is a chancer using the good name of our club in order to get himself a management gig. I'm not sure what's worse, him going public about it on the radio or some fans actually touting this chancer for our managers job.

Miller is a chancer using the good name of our club in order to get himself a management gig. I'm not sure what's worse, him going public about it on the radio or some fans actually touting this chancer for our managers job.

Totally agree, I offered the Gleneagles Hotel my services they did not even reply to me , know what I mean.

Bloody chancer Miller has not been to any of our games but says we don't have any young talent. Christ I would take Gus back over Miller any day of the week.

I don't know if Alex Miller's involvement would've helped us this season, but its his approach to football that would put me off. His spell managing our club produced some of the most depressing football I've seen and I certainly wouldn't want to see it again.

The high scoring victories over Rangers , Celtic , Hearts , Slavia Prague and the then Champions Dundee Utd were particularly depressing !