The Appreciation Thread

I dunno... Imagine someone regaining their sight and that's the first thing they see. They might decide they preferred it before...

I have to admit I didn't think that post through very well, your point is well made and undoubtedly true, another reason against it is the fact that they would likely have people laughing at them or averting their gaze whenever they were wearing them.

A most unsatisfactory and unfair state of affairs.

Edited by BaldyOzBud

Looking over last season's Dumbarton's results Murray seems to have built a defence capable of losing 3-6 goals in one game, not only to big teams like Heart and Hibs but also to wee diddy part-time teams in the league like Livingston, Alloa and Cowdenbeath.

Livingston and Cowdenbeath are not part time.

Murray has led Dumbarton to the finish as the best part time club in Scotland again, great achievement.

He wouldn't have been my first choice but I'm certainly not disappointed.

I'm delighted with the appointment and when I see his TV interview I can understand why he got the job. The way he speaks and conducts himself is really impressive and I can see why he was the outstanding candidate.

I was seriously concerned that we were in real danger of dropping down another league had we continued to appoint from within. Make no bones about itT

the championship is one tough league . If Ian Murray can keep Dumbarton in the league with the likes of Rangers, Hibs, Hearts, Falkirk etc then surely he must have an excellent chance of doing well with us.

Even if this appointment doesn't work out I still say well done the Board for appointing the strongest candidate. Unlike the Craig appointment last year this appointment seems right to me. I will give the new manager and the club my 100% backing whatever the outcome.

I'm delighted with the appointment and when I see his TV interview I can understand why he got the job. The way he speaks and conducts himself is really impressive and I can see why he was the outstanding candidate.

I was seriously concerned that we were in real danger of dropping down another league had we continued to appoint from within. Make no bones about itT

the championship is one tough league . If Ian Murray can keep Dumbarton in the league with the likes of Rangers, Hibs, Hearts, Falkirk etc then surely he must have an excellent chance of doing well with us.

Even if this appointment doesn't work out I still say well done the Board for appointing the strongest candidate. Unlike the Craig appointment last year this appointment seems right to me. I will give the new manager and the club my 100% backing whatever the outcome.

I'm that happy I agreed to a full Saturday shift at work, I'm missing out on good quality Peroni time!

The dust has settled, the man's in place,

To set the Saints off, in the Championship race.

We all know now, Ian Murray's his name.

And we've got a target, when attributing blame.

As Saint Mirren fans, I hope you'll agree.

It's time to take stock, and then wait and see.

That time will tell, if the right man is here,

To deliver our dreams and not all our fears.

But for my part I'll strap in, for a real bumpy ride,

As I follow the fortunes, of my long chosen side.

I hope that the football, will never be dull,

And I start happy clapping with the likes of Shull!

I'm remembering the meltdowns on here when we lost a few games by 3 or more to teams like Motherwell, Ross County and Partick Thistle.

You'll remember the meltdown then when we lost , for the only time in our history, to Brechin City, then when we conceded 5 at home to Forfar , both under Gus MacPherson , who then got us promoted!

Livingston and Cowdenbeath are not part time.

Murray has led Dumbarton to the finish as the best part time club in Scotland again, great achievement.

He wouldn't have been my first choice but I'm certainly not disappointed.

I was pretty sure Cowdenbeath were part time...?

I was pretty sure Cowdenbeath were part time...?

They're not.

Like Raith Rovers they have a mix of full and part time (mostly full time) players.

Even next sesson they're not dropping to part time.

Edited by davidg

The St.Mirren Fans Council are delighted with the appointment of Ian Murray. A young manager who with limited resources and a part time team at Dumbarton has competed with Hearts, Rangers and Hibs. With 2 and a half years experience in the league we haven't competed in for 9 years his experience will be crucial. We would like to offer Ian our full backing and wish him every success for the future.

The St.Mirren Fans Council are delighted with the appointment of Ian Murray. A young manager who with limited resources and a part time team at Dumbarton has competed with Hearts, Rangers and Hibs. With 2 and a half years experience in the league we haven't competed in for 9 years his experience will be crucial. We would like to offer Ian our full backing and wish him every success for the future.

They didn't compete with rangers hibs And hearts. They lost almost half of the goals they conceded against they three teams.

Aye, but what about the strips? whistling.gif

There are grown men pishing their breeks over its non-appearance.

Edited by FTOF

They didn't compete with rangers hibs And hearts. They lost almost half of the goals they conceded against they three teams.

They got a 0-0 draw with Hearts, a narrow 3-2 Cup defeat at Easter Road, another 0-0 against Hibs at Easter Road in the league, a narrow 1-0 Cup defeat to Rangers and took points off virtually everyone else. A handful of bad defeats as to be expected by a part time team playing in the toughest Championship there has ever been and rounding off the season by comfortably finishing above 3 full time clubs AGAIN.

TBH I'm not sure what more he could have done with that club.

People like you need to explain why you are obsessing over literally just a handful of bad defeats when the bigger picture is more revealing.

They got a 0-0 draw with Hearts, a narrow 3-2 Cup defeat at Easter Road, another 0-0 against Hibs at Easter Road in the league, a narrow 1-0 Cup defeat to Rangers and took points off virtually everyone else. A handful of bad defeats as to be expected by a part time team playing in the toughest Championship there has ever been and rounding off the season by comfortably finishing above 3 full time clubs AGAIN.

TBH I'm not sure what more he could have done with that club.

People like you need to explain why you are obsessing over literally just a handful of bad defeats when the bigger picture is more revealing.

I have an open mind about whether Murray will be a good appointment. I'm hoping he will but I have not been carried away by the wave of enthusiasm which mostly greeted his appointment. I believe you managed to pick out all the results over the season where you can make a case for Dumbarton competing with Hearts, Hibs and Rangers. Last year Dumbarton conceded 3 or more goals in 19 of their 39 matches, including to Stranraer in the cup.

Aggregate scores over the season: Rangers 14 - Dumbarton 3 (over 5 games); Hearts 14 - Dumbarton 2 (over 4 games); Hibs 14 - Dumbarton 6 (over 5 games). So let's write those off since it was a part time club against full time teams with budgets in the top 5 of Scottish football to play with.

Queen of the South 9 - Dumbarton 1

Falkirk 7 - Dumbarton 5

Raith Rovers 8 - Dumbarton 6

Livingston 6 - Dumbarton 6

Alloa 4 - Dumbarton 5

Cowdenbeath 6 - Dumbarton 4

Where Dumbarton got their points: 1 win and 1 draw against Cowdenbeath (4 out of 12), 3 wins against Alloa (9 out of 12), 3 wins against Livingston (9 out of 12), 1 draw and 1 win against Raith Rovers (4 out of 12), 2 draws and 1 win against Falkirk (5 out of 12), 1 draw against Queen of the South (1 out of 12), zero points against Rangers, 1 point against Hibs, 1 point against Hearts.

Negatives... September was the only full month of the season where Dumbarton didn't concede 3 or more goals in 1 game, and as late as April Alloa (post- Sir Danny Lennon taking over) and Cowdenbeath both stuck 3 by them without reply.

Positives... Dumbarton generally did well in crunch games against their main rivals to avoid relegation. Over half their points for the season came in wins in 6 pointers against Alloa (pre- Sir Danny Lennon taking over) and Livingston. They were also even-stevens with Falkirk in their encounters.

I am being educated. I now know Dumbarton's season inside-out and know more about them than St Mirren's season.

How this affects Ian Murray as St Mirren manager, working with St Mirren's players, signing players for St Mirren and training them at St Mirren's training ground is however beyond a simple fan like me.

I know what I'll do... I'll wait and give the bloke a fair go and a chance. Inspired thinking Poz!

Anyone do me a favour? Can anyone provide me with a detailed breakdown of Cowdenbeath's results and performances in Danny Lennon's final season with them? If they throw up some gubbings and some poor results, then I just don't know how the useless fud managed to win a major trophy and keep us in the top flight of Scottish football.

Queen of the South 9 - Dumbarton 1

Falkirk 7 - Dumbarton 5

Raith Rovers 8 - Dumbarton 6

Livingston 6 - Dumbarton 6

Alloa 4 - Dumbarton 5

Cowdenbeath 6 - Dumbarton 4

BTW unless you are somehow suggesting Ian will sign the entire Dumbarton team, be handed their budget and use their training facilities, I have no idea what the hell you going on about here TBH.

Seriously where exactly are you going with this open mind of yours?

Away and enjoy the summer break. You clearly seem to need soothing.

This is a done deal. We have Ian as our manager.

Smarter men than you have decided he's capable.

Almost everyone on here is positive.

What's your position?

Are you going to relax and let the man show what he can do?

Or are you going to spend the next 3 months whining about how worried you are?