The Appreciation Thread

• 3 weeks later...

I think there's definitely a gameplan in place in terms of Murray and Spalding, which is refreshing and encouraging in equal measure as for the last couple of last seasons we just seemed to stumble from one defeat to another with no coherence or discernible structure to our play.

This will clearly take a while to come to fruition though and I accept that there will, of course, be teething troubles along the way but at least it looks like the gaffer has an idea of what he wants us to be and how he's going to get us there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Murray has now got a strong squad on paper in goalkeeper, defence, and attack for this level of football and two decent midfielders in Goodwin and Mallan. Some credit due for managing to get Langfield, Shankland and Webster in and deserves some time to get the team gelled. We are still looking out of sorts in midfield.

Here's hoping things improve before too long. Next 4 fixtures are against good teams.

Murray has now got a strong squad on paper in goalkeeper, defence, and attack for this level of football and two decent midfielders in Goodwin and Mallan. Some credit due for managing to get Langfield, Shankland and Webster in and deserves some time to get the team gelled. We are still looking out of sorts in midfield.

Here's hoping things improve before too long. Next 4 fixtures are against good teams.

Next home game is against Falkirk, who I watched last night on BBC Teuchter take care of Dumbarton at home, something we didn't manage. One thing struck me - if we thought that Livvy's Hippolyte had a long throw, it was nothing compared to Falkirk's captain. Faulks? Vaulks? can't remember his name. Murray & Spalding were shown in the Falkirk stand taking notes. I hope one of their notes was how to defend his Rory Delap-esque launches from throw ins. Now, I am no tactical genius, hell, I couldn't lace BuddieinEKs boots when it comes to suggesting formations and tactics, but if Murray hasn't noted this threat and they catch us out? Then reluctantly I must come to the conclusion that neither Murray or Spalding have a fcuking clue.

Next home game is against Falkirk, who I watched last night on BBC Teuchter take care of Dumbarton at home, something we didn't manage. One thing struck me - if we thought that Livvy's Hippolyte had a long throw, it was nothing compared to Falkirk's captain. Faulks? Vaulks? can't remember his name. Murray & Spalding were shown in the Falkirk stand taking notes. I hope one of their notes was how to defend his Rory Delap-esque launches from throw ins. Now, I am no tactical genius, hell, I couldn't lace BuddieinEKs boots when it comes to suggesting formations and tactics, but if Murray hasn't noted this threat and they catch us out? Then reluctantly I must come to the conclusion that neither Murray or Spalding have a fcuking clue.

What worries me most is that after losing in the cup, Murray stuck to the same formation when even TC might have tweeked it.

After 20 minutes today it was crying out for change to get us back on the offensive, the obvious change being to push Agnew into midfield where he is nearer goals and can actually use his shot... that in turn releasing Gallagher to play up front with Shankland.

In every game I have seen so far, including Annan away, our formation has led to us conceding the midfield for the majority of the game.

Very concerning. I hope he is a quick learner.

I genuinely thought Ian Murray was a good appointment . Now i think ive got it badly wrong , we are not dumbarton Ian, we are St Mirren and if you cant cut it then by all means please leave .

I do not think he can cut it, and i think Mark Spalding is more suited to designing championsip manager games than he is to being involved in the real world.

Were you in attendance today?

Trust you to be first. Of course he wasn't in attendance today. He had his magic radio tuned to the moon.

I was there it wasn't good at all. However I think and hope we will come good. He has the makings of a decent squad.

Aye, roll up roll up, we've played 4 league games and the trumpets are in full voice.

Kind of like a lemming reaction........................who's first?

TBf , we waited too long to get rid of TC last season . The standard of play we are offering at the moment is truly woeful , considering the league we now find ourselves in. .

I'm not saying get rid of Murray now , but the current situation needs to improve . . We now have a couple of decent players , so hopefully we can get a victory at some point soon. .

I'll say one thing IM has an eye for a player because that's a pretty decent squad

he's assembled, so if he cant get this team playing well and winning regularly in

this league then his management skills really need to be called into question..

In saying that he has to be given at least 15 games to turn this around, if he fails

then it's a TC scenario all over again, only Murray has no excuses he has a better

squad to chose from and is playing in a lower division, so get it sorted Murray and

fast....... or else.

While I agree he has brought in some decent players I reckon he has also brought in some who are simply not up to the task so for me the jury is still out although his percentage appears on paper better than under TC and Danny's reign. Players we already had on our books that were not rated very highly are now looking better than some players we have brought in. By November or so I should have a better idea if the players I think are poor are in fact better than I thought or if the bigger names are really as good as we anticipate.

The concern with me is the amount of youth in the squad. With short-term contracts for most players/loan deals very few teams can build for the future. We can only build for the current season and so far that isn't going well.

Until we start playing as a team with some cohesion and a game plan then any decent players will be ineffective like yesterday.

It's always easier to set your team out to stop the opposition than it is to be creative and dictate play. IM achieved the first at Dumbarton but it remains to be seen if he can do the other part. He was brought in because of his knowledge of the league, so there is no honeymoon period, he needs to start getting results as so far he isn't cutting it.

I really hope the lad can turn this around but more for our sake than his, managers come and go but as a club, we can't afford another period in the wilderness.

For people moaning about DL's eye for a player, I reckon that in 4 seasons he had about 20 decent signings for our budget and rarely signed journeyman and was largely taking punts on young players stepping up... arguably his worst signings were when he turned to guys like Imrie, Harkins, Grainger who had been established at SPL level. If Craig and Teale had made 5 successful signings between them last season we might not be where we are now.

I can understand most of Murrays signings Lanfeild experienced keeper who can coach who is affordable.

Webster the CB who we have been waiting years for!

McMullan very quick very raw could be very important to us if used correctly.

Watson Young experienced RB not bad for an 11 hour signing after the horror injury to Naismith!

Gallagher young looks promising.

Shankland excellent goals to games ratio for Aberdeen u20s unlucky not to score on Saturday given time training and getting to know the team should be good!

Agnew,Conlan and Howieson have not gelled into the team yet but I can see potential in all! Wish we had Signed Rooney ahead of Conlan but that's because of the injury to Naismiths Again!

The only truly stinking honking signing Murray has made is Gow IMO!

I think IF we can get a midfielder in before Tuesday it would help can't rely on Agnew and Mallan yet!

Think Murrays additions have been better than Craigs or Teale's last season!

The problem I have is how he sets his team out!

The line ups formations and substitutions are truly baffling!

We actually look good when player's make runs McMullan yesterday and Howieson at Ibrox spring to mind!

But we don't do it enough and let teams back in.

Hope before Tuesday Murray can find another creative Midfielder because he's failed to sign one who can claim a starting place yet!

The injury to Naismith has been a hammer blow to St.Mirren!