Thommo Interview.

Would be mad to release a player such as Thommo at this stage. Yeah he is getting on, but he is a pretty fit guy and I feel he would do very well in the Championship. I imagine he would love to play against Morton for Saints, and can just see him scoring a good few goals against them just like Lavety and Yards used to :)

Having a Saints player in the team is great, knowing that he would give his all every match. Must keep the big man!

Bassa no speakers on my works computer.

As the title says Thommo wants to stay. anything else :

Basically, Wants to stay & play on. Would be interested in a coaching role, doesn`t want to be in a situation of playing for another championship team against St.Mirren.

He`s not had a great season but this is a "No Brainer."

Pitty he didn't show the same commitment on the park,played most of the season with his dummy out the pram.

Clear out needed I'd keep none of the heartless fuds

You really do talk a lot of crap. I know for a fact he has been having pain from the injury he had a op on and that source was his family.

So stop your shit gossip girl

I agree Thommo seemed to down tools when he wasn't playing, especially the debacle at Fir Park.

But when you see the waste of space Arquin playing in his position you can see why he would be annoyed.

Sentiment aside, I think a one year deal with a coaching option would be ideal. But Murray has 3 senior pros in Goodwin, Teale and Thommo to deal with. I can't see them all staying.

I agree Thommo seemed to down tools when he wasn't playing, especially the debacle at Fir Park.

But when you see the waste of space Arquin playing in his position you can see why he would be annoyed.

Sentiment aside, I think a one year deal with a coaching option would be ideal. But Murray has 3 senior pros in Goodwin, Teale and Thommo to deal with. I can't see them all staying.

Agreed... IMO Goodwin will leave, it's up to Gary what he wants to do but i think he'll walk. If both want to stay, i would keep them both on playing contracts, not coaching.

Agree with the above. Would be amazed if Goodwin and Teale are here next season.

Dont see how Teale can stay tbh, expect to see a thanks for your efforts type story on the official site this week.

Goodwin seems to be a bit of an unwanted man ever since he was taken off the coaching team.

Reckon Thommo will stay now after those interviews that have come out. I guess the only issue will be on the type of deal we can offer him!

The difficulty seems to have been trying to keep all of the senior players happy following DL's departure. All three of GT, JG and ST are experienced pros approaching the end of their playing careers with coaching clearly on their minds. I don't profess to know anything of the inner workings of their dynamic over the past year, but appointing two rather than three to coaching roles seemed strange compounded by GT's promotion and JG then being demoted.

Whilst it would be great to keep these characters and ambassadors for our club in some capacity relegation and a constrained budget makes change almost inevitable. I would hate to be in the position of deciding who stays and who goes, but looks like difficult decisions need to be made. While knowing a bit more about the dynamic between the three would assist, IM needs to get this right and early on too.

If all 4 could work well together then drawing on the positive qualities of each could give us a young dynamic managerial team with possibly combined coaches at the back, in midfield and up front.

However it would appear that GT's playing days are over from the lack of game time this season.

I think ST is too big a commodity to lose especially with relegation and his stated will to stay at his home team. Therefore I'd get him signed with a view to a route into coaching as mutually appropriate when discussions take place.

Whilst I can understand some of the argument of JG's detractors, again I think especially with relegation he has a lot to offer on the pitch. I would therefore want JG to stay as a player next season. For me this isn't a difficult decision on a footballing basis but the question is whether there is a rift or not...and also whether JG's coaching plans have been permanently scuppered at Saints given his demotion.

GT appears to have been on a hiding to nothing. RC and Motherwell strengthened in January and we became weaker. He certainly was lauded for his coaching abilities on his appointment as assistant and also as temporary manager. Will he want to stay in a lesser role? Is there a role for him on the park? Has there been discontent between our senior players?

So for me - ST yes, JG yes and GT would like to see some role but has his position been compromised too much?

Anyway just some thoughts on the issue...

Agree with the above. Would be amazed if Goodwin and Teale are here next season.

Dont see how Teale can stay tbh, expect to see a thanks for your efforts type story on the official site this week.

Goodwin seems to be a bit of an unwanted man ever since he was taken off the coaching team.

Reckon Thommo will stay now after those interviews that have come out. I guess the only issue will be on the type of deal we can offer him!

I can't see how Teale and Goodwin would be able to accept a scenario where Thommo is in a coaching role and they aren't..... The only one who might accept a player coach role would be Teale, but even that is doubtful.

Has to stay in my opinion, simply from a football perspective.

I just don't think there is a better striker out there who's in our budget and willing to play for us in the Championship.

If fit he will score 15 goals next season.

It really sums up the limited capability of this board that Thommo (if fit) and Goody Haven't been signed up yet to help steer a young side back to the prem. Its the biggest feckin no-brainer of the year.

A fit Thommo would get a barrow load of goals and be a great coach for young strikers in the championship, ditto Goody and young midfielders/defenders.

To add I would let GT go as he seems to have given up playing anyway. I would only keep him if he was up to the challenge of playing most games, but i think he isn't interested in that now?

Edited by Lord Pityme

Thommo has to stay. Once he gets fit I think he could easily do a job for us as a player in the Championship.

The other two are maybe slightly more difficult. Murray only has x amount of money and we do not want to waste even more than we already have by paying off players' contracts. And we do not want to waste money in bringing in backroom staff at the expense of bringing in players.

Solution is appoint Teale as a coach/Assistant Manager for the next 12 months until his contract runs out. Keep Goodwin as a player since he is already under contract and can do a job for us. Hopefully Murray can stop any clique problems and if not he can get rid of anyone he wants next May but in the meantime we are not wasting money by hiring coaches when we have guys with badges and not cancelling contracts of players that can still do a job.

Experience-wise Cheesy, Osborne are already away. Tess has apparently indicated he wants to go. Dayton is going to Thailand. Genev will be going. Gow is probably finished at this level and Wylde has to go. We only have 2 experienced pros left (I would no longer consider Teale as a player) with space to recruit around another 5 or 6 decent pros in their mid twenties to make up the squad. So, keep the 3 of them!

I reckon Thommo will be kept on. ( he better )

As for Teale if he has been offered nothing else where he will stay as an assistant to Murray no way will he want to leave the game.

Goodwin, will say again will be NUTS to let him go he is needed in the championship as a player to protect and guide the young ones.

So all three could end up staying in my humble opinion

I'd get rid of Thommo, Teale and Goodwin.

Fresh start needed.

That is one option, but both GT and JG will need an annual salary to facilitate your plan. We will then also need to pay for an additional outfield player to replace JG. That's not even factoring in ST and finding a similar quality striker on our budget...

Not as straight forward a plan it appears.

Davidg - if we got rid of all 3 we would need to bring in some other experienced players to support the younger players. I'm undecided about the three of them to be honest.

All 3 can go IMO.

Thommo would be the most difficult decision out of the 3.

That is one option, but both GT and JG will need an annual salary to facilitate your plan. We will then also need to pay for an additional outfield player to replace JG. That's not even factoring in ST and finding a similar quality striker on our budget...

Not as straight forward a plan it appears.

Not if they spit the dummy and aren't willing to work with Murray..