Thommo Interview.

I would like to keep Thommo.

Goodwin and Teale not so sure about. At the end of the day they both have contracts so it's going to be up to them as much as Murray.

Goodwin has already said he wants to stay, so it will take a relatively big payoff to get him to leave. Would guess we'd rather not pay that so he will probably stay. He could do a job for us next year too, after all he was voted by the fans as our top performing player that's still with the club last season.

Teale's obviously a very different case, would probably suit both parties if he left. Can't see how someone goes from assistant to manager back to assistant again.

Not if they spit the dummy and aren't willing to work with Murray..

A fair point but ST seems to want to play for IM, JG has stated he's there to stay and GT is open to staying depending on conversations with IM.

It may be a clear out is what is required and an inside knowledge of the dynamics between senior players and also their influence on younger players would clearly help with the decision.

From a economic perspective - JG and GT have 1 year contracts left. For me JG has a lot to offer especially in the championship with a young team around him. ST will be impossible to replace if he remains fit. The only questions for me are what will GT's role be and will it be acceptable? Can all three work together for the betterment of the club? (Clearly with the latter if this is not the case one, some or all will need to move on)

In a lot of ways it would be good to start with a clean sheet however we have players who are under contract and we need back-room staff. I am fed up with us paying off people at the expense of the overall squad. We have lost a hell of a lot of money with that policy over the last two years (Imrie, Harkins, Grainger, Craig to name some) helping us to relegation.

The three guys in question have all said they love the Club and wanted to stay. Thommo is out of contract but it would be madness to let him go as I am sure he would be snapped up elsewhere and he is one of the few that truly is a legend. We simply could not get anyone better for the money. And paying off the other two is money we can ill-afford to lose.

Have to say, I find it so frustrating to see many fans queuing up to sing the praises of the old guard. Well done to those brave enough to put their heads above the parapet and risk damnation by questioning League Cup Winning "heroes".

Last week the forum was full of fans wanting GT to be given the managers job. Prior to relegation being confirmed GT had lost 14 from 20 (won 5 / lost 1). Of course anyone can make a case for mitigating circumstances, that goes for any struggling manager (remember Tommy Craig blaming his 13% win percentage on injuries). But come on, seriously, Motherwell away on 7th April followed by Ross County at home on 13th April, unreal. To anyone who wanted Teale appointed I'll quote the legendary Jimmy Sanderson "Were you at the game caller?" Kids, ask your Dad.

After a season where one shocking decision followed another we finally have the opportunity to turn the page and start over. Personally I would love to see IM go for revolution rather than evolution, I truthfully believe our clubs needs an complete overhaul. Given last season he has a clear mandate to do just that.

Taking the 3 names under discussion in particular.... I'd tell Goodwin to find a new club, ditto for Teale. I'd offer Thommo a 1 year Player/coach role, but not a player only contract - he will be a 37 year old striker come October. We must get past this misplaced loyalty and make some decisions from the head and not the heart.

It's all about opinions as ever. Me, I'd settle for IM putting his own stamp on things, out with the old, complement some of the better younger players with his new signings, appoint his own captain. If we finished mid-table next year I would be happy. Year two, build on the stabilisation, kick-on, and go for a play-off place. Year three, kick on again.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but we would give ourselves a fighting chance by buying some new materials rather than settling for convenient rubble.

In a lot of ways it would be good to start with a clean sheet however we have players who are under contract and we need back-room staff. I am fed up with us paying off people at the expense of the overall squad. We have lost a hell of a lot of money with that policy over the last two years (Imrie, Harkins, Grainger, Craig to name some) helping us to relegation.

The three guys in question have all said they love the Club and wanted to stay. Thommo is out of contract but it would be madness to let him go as I am sure he would be snapped up elsewhere and he is one of the few that truly is a legend. We simply could not get anyone better for the money. And paying off the other two is money we can ill-afford to lose.

Far far too much common-sense in this post

disagree get rid off all 3 players

but only if it costs us nothing if not they stay and play for

there wages we have had a year from hell and experienced have to take some

responsibility for this .no pay offs we need every penny

to rebuild squad ,bring players in who want to use us as a stepping stone ,

next season promotion no .play offs hopefully .but need to start winning games at home to bring back our fans ,then more cash in and better players in jan window

we need to see who we can bring into help young players .

lets see whos released this week

If we don't re-sign Thompson then another championship club or two will take the risk and he would come back to haunt us. He's stated that he wants to stay and give something back for what has been a very poor season for him due to injury. My guess would be he wants to finish with at least one more sucessful season.

easy solution he wants to give something back

play for nothing then

or gets paid if he plays

getting a bit injury prone now we cannot take a chance on a high earner .

but not playing

Why should he? He'll easily get a team elsewhere who would pay him to perhaps score against us. Get him signed up as a player coach for one more season.

It really sums up the limited capability of this board that Thommo (if fit) and Goody Haven't been signed up yet to help steer a young side back to the prem. Its the biggest feckin no-brainer of the year.

A fit Thommo would get a barrow load of goals and be a great coach for young strikers in the championship, ditto Goody and young midfielders/defenders.

To add I would let GT go as he seems to have given up playing anyway. I would only keep him if he was up to the challenge of playing most games, but i think he isn't interested in that now?

What's it got to do with the board? It's the manager's job to select the playing staff not the board, not the general manager - the manager. He only started this morning and he has to be allowed to select the players he puts on the pitch. I would love to see Thommo manage another season as a player but I respect the mamager's right to pick the team and If he thinks he thinks he can do the job I'll be happy. Same for Goodwin and Teale. But for a board to apoint a manager and then tell him he has to have their pick of players is a non-starter - that way madness lies?

I think Goodwin is too slow now, he might have the fighting qualities but doesn't have the legs to do the holding job in midfield IMO. As others have said Teale look to be finished as a player and i don't think he'll want to go back to just being a coach. So really, both would be better going elsewhere.

I find it incredible that there was a massive outcry to stop appointing from within and have a fresh start with a manager not bound by baggage...

and now that we have that, we want to tie him up.

Here's a radical idea...

We appointed a manager... let him manage as he sees fit and support him to do so.

I find it incredible that there was a massive outcry to stop appointing from within and have a fresh start with a manager not bound by baggage...

and now that we have that, we want to tie him up.

Here's a radical idea...

We appointed a manager... let him manage as he sees fit and support him to do so.

I will definitely be supporting whatever he does because i wanted him appointed last year. Having said that on a forum we offer opinions on who we think should come and go and it has zero impact on what decisions are made by the manager. I'd keep Thommo, will Ian Murray?...it's up to him.

Edited by proudtobeabuddy

I think Goodwin is too slow now, he might have the fighting qualities but doesn't have the legs to do the holding job in midfield IMO. As others have said Teale look to be finished as a player and i don't think he'll want to go back to just being a coach. So really, both would be better going elsewhere.

Goodwins too slow?, yet Thommo with his lightning pace laugh.png, and his non fighting qualities he's

been displaying all season deserves a contract.. geez a break FFS..

Has it been the so called bad back that slowed him down, or the petted lip he's been dragging

around all season..

Edited by scrappy coco

Goodwins too slow?, yet Thommo with his lightning pace laugh.png, and his non fighting qualities he's

been displaying all season deserves a contract.. geez a break FFS..

Has it been the so called bad back that slowed him down, or the maybe petted lip he's been dragging

around with him all season..

Thommo has never had pace but up until last season he wasn't injured and was scoring, with the right players around him and setting up chances he'll still score at chamionship level. In Goodwin's position you need the legs to get about and be able to close players down and it's obvious to anyone who goes every week that he has definitely lost a bit of pace. Goodwin's positional sense in defence is awful, so again, wouldn't play him there.

Edited by proudtobeabuddy

aw feck off. Nae cnut would have anything to argue about......

Murray Mint Murray Mint too good to hurry mint....anybuddy remember that ad?

We need a new chant for the new manager......

Anybuddy think up a decent chant to that tune?

Best I can come up with is

Murray Mint Murray Mint.......Morton/Rangers/Livingston are fecken skint

Just hope that by Christmas its not.......

Murray Murray get tae fook!

I think the new manager will not be managing correctly if he disnae see Thomson's potential worth to the team.

Experienced? He'd need to buy in similar.

Passionate about Saints? He couldn't buy that in.

Proven? He couldn't afford that.

Remember which team's budget Murray will be using.

Fwiw. I'd utilise Goodie for similar reasons.

Could see by thommos expression that this season has really hurt him both emotionally and physically. He is worthy of a season at least. If he stays injury free his experience will win us a lot of games, no doubt about it. The only question mark for me would be over his fitness. His commitment to St Mirren is what we will need in a very tough division. Much will also depend on who he has round about him to provide the ammunition for goals. If Murray puts together a good balanced squad then there will be more goals to come from a fit Thommo.

I think Thommo will get a player/coach role. Teale will leave to manage a lower league club and build his experience. Goodwin will hopefully stay and play some sort of role.

I also think that Goodwin and Teale have had a horrible year. Teamed up together, then split with one being made manager and the other demoted back to player and then the manager replaced and all this since January. So to be honest I think Jim got on with the football on the pitch when he must have been pissed off as anyone would be and Gary although he knew it was only till the summer must be hurting m question is which one will demand money to sever contract. For me I would keep Jim can still play