The High Street Of Paisley

shull

I honestly think i stay in the most pot holed road in paisley.

HSS, what do think is the worst?

As I don't know you personally, I'd go for the Pot Holes.

So do we have any stats yet on how this post 1830 drive by trade is benefitting the High Street's 0900-1730 retailers ?

Wjat can I tell you? It's a Shame & Scandal... Complete Madness

As I don't know you personally, I'd go for the Pot Holes.

Wjat can I tell you? It's a Shame & Scandal... Complete Madness

I have phoned the council several times now about a particular road. They all ignore me 'cause they don't know

I'm really a spaceman from those UFOs . .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

Shame on me - must do better. On the other hand, don't start on me. I'll think up a childish nickname for you that will cause you to go crying to the powers that be. :) . Or maybe you won't because you're not a big baby.

Call him "baby killer.

See how he reacts to that! :whistle:

Argyle Street is a bumpy ride then you hit those damn cobbles at the end,

Them cobbles is character, your history, what shaped you and the whole toun!

Grow up , ya childish wean!

Yours etc.

A bus driver.

I would find it hard to describe the works undertaken to re-open the high street as anything other than negligent. And that isn't a word that should be used lightly.

The finished "scheme" is nothing short of shambolic. Everyone and anyone involved in it should embarrassed and ashamed.

Not only is the delineation between pavement and road almost non-existent and the signage inadequate, but they've actually left granite plinths in the middle of the fecking carriageway.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByBlack & White Army1441554054.878211.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByBlack & White Army1441554069.634004.jpg

It's your standard modern 'shared space' type place, where traffic speeds are meant to be low and pedestrians have priority over vehicles.

In terms of road safety, doubt there will be an issue- traffic levels have barely changed from my delivery vehicles that were allowed to do the same route anyway. Last time I walked down there at 8pm you could sit in the middle of the High Street and be fine- maybe the skateboarders might get you.

I'm not keen on the overall scheme either but negligent is a bit strong. Not sure what you expected?

Not been down there in years. It never used to be that bad - apart from the bit where it swung round to join Albion Street, where the buses were at the units (is that still Blytheswood Drive?).

I'll bow to your more modern knowledge on the matter.

Indeed , I bet you have been up Blythswood Square plenty , tho'. .

McIntyre Place, without a doubt. Although, with it being a private road, it's not the council's fault.

Edit: Yes, I know I'm not HSS. smile.png

I used to live there, a taxi driver refused to drive along it and left my wife to walk along the unlit section from park road at 11:00 pm. He even refused to get the office to phone me so that i could walk to the end of the lane for her. the road wasn't even that bad at the time

He also refused to go along the other route to the top of Charlotte place, the council refused twice to take over the road in the 2 years i stayed there

Funny how the taxis would come to collect, and would take the hire when hailed, but not mention the state of the road until they dumped you at the roadside on Park Rd or Alice St.

i tip taxi drivers everywhere, except in Paisley. i'd hate to think some of those cnuts from the 80s are still trusted with conveying the public

Edited by beyond our ken

I used to live there, a taxi driver refused to drive along it and left my wife to walk along the unlit section from park road at 11:00 pm. He even refused to get the office to phone me so that i could walk to the end of the lane for her. the road wasn't even that bad at the time

He also refused to go along the other route to the top of Charlotte place, the council refused twice to take over the road in the 2 years i stayed there

Funny how the taxis would come to collect, and would take the hire when hailed, but not mention the state of the road until they dumped you at the roadside on Park Rd or Alice St.

i tip taxi drivers everywhere, except in Paisley. i'd hate to think some of those cnuts from the 80s are still trusted with conveying the public

laugh.png

quite right

• 1 month later...

I wondered, is there anymore going on in the town centre or anything in the pipeline to help get town 'back on its feet ?'

I ( through work ) was in Bradford today inside its new £260m shopping centre prior to it opening to the public for the first time.The usual media attention from local TV & newspapers etc. and several thousand people waiting to get in.

The development is in the heart of the city and it's a city that does not come close to where I live (Leeds for choice and it's excellent city centre , thus no need for the people of Leeds to go 'out of town') which in turn will generate footfall into the city as opposed to out of town shopping centres or Leeds.

The downside is the top end of the Bradford city centre has seen all the larger retailers jump ship into the new centre leaving the middle to top end of town rather empty.

This going forward could be seen as an opportunity for development, I'd imagine the reality is it'll remain empty or become the 'poor end' of town as it's already got its share of pound & charity shops.

Steady progress in town centres is important, incentives on rent and rates , free parking, traffic flow as well as a reason to come into town.

What is Paisley currently doing ? Does it have an active long term strategy?

Guest TPAFKATS

Not sure how close Bradford is to Leeds but we are 7 miles from Glasgow city centre. More importantly silverburn and Braehead are too close for Paisley to be viable as a traditional shopping town.

Not sure how close Bradford is to Leeds but we are 7 miles from Glasgow city centre. More importantly silverburn and Braehead are too close for Paisley to be viable as a traditional shopping town.

Bradford / Leeds border each other but from the heart of each city it is also around 7 miles.

The £260m new shopping centre is a good thing , but ironically will damage other parts of the city centre.

I guess that even developing town centres also comes with knock on effects.

Bradford / Leeds border each other but from the heart of each city it is also around 7 miles.

The £260m new shopping centre is a good thing , but ironically will damage other parts of the city centre.

I guess that even developing town centres also comes with knock on effects.

Mate , the best thing they could do with Bradford is knock the whole f**kin place down & start again. It truly is one of the most miserable dumps i`ve ever been in.

Its like New Cumnock on an Epic scale.

The only place worse than Bradford is Hull.

& Barrow

& Stockton

& Coventry

& Walsall

& Grimsby

But apart from them !1eye.gif

Mate , the best thing they could do with Bradford is knock the whole f**kin place down & start again. It truly is one of the most miserable dumps i`ve ever been in.

& Barrow

& Stockton

& Coventry

& Walsall

& Grimsby

But apart from them !1eye.gif

Indeed , thankfully I live in Leeds , and despite doing an awful lot of work in Bradford over the years , you are indeed correct.

The place is a dump and if I am honest I cant remember seeing any `good` bits.

There are however some very nice people in the city however.

So , Paisley ............... ?

ETA ; Oh , Hull ? tried Grimsby ?

Edited by whydowebother

Indeed , thankfully I live in Leeds , and despite doing an awful lot of work in Bradford over the years , you are indeed correct.

The place is a dump and if I am honest I cant remember seeing any `good` bits.

There are however some very nice people in the city however.

So , Paisley ............... ?

ETA ; Oh , Hull ? tried Grimsby ?

Once heard Hull & Barrow referred to as the armpits of England ! Thought that summed up both places quite nicely !

Bloody hell , the last time I was in New Cumnock a couple of locals told me that the area had went downhill (sic) since the cooncil moved in some outsiders from . . wait for it . . Green*ck . . fuck , no one could make that one up. .

Not been down there in years. It never used to be that bad - apart from the bit where it swung round to join Albion Street, where the buses were at the units (is that still Blytheswood Drive?).

Haven't been down there in years but knew this as 'the barricades' in the early / mid 70s

Blythswood Drive.

You should bow to HSS's previous knowledge... on the spelling... :P