Strikers? Lack Of?

I'm assuming that those who are saying we'll sign more strikers can tell us all what we'll get that is better than Gow and Thompson? On the wages we pay I'm seriously doubting it will be anything more than promising young players.

We'll be bringing players in on loan again .

That will keep the cost down .

Loan player are what got us into the mess we were in this season, we had loads and they were all mediocre at best. I'd rather limit the loan signings to one or two.

No, the management team were responsible.

This (though most players are also culpable).

In saying that, I tend to agree that we shouldn't be too reliant on loan players. 2 or 3 seems reasonable over the course of a season.

Loan player are what got us into the mess we were in this season, we had loads and they were all mediocre at best. I'd rather limit the loan signings to one or two.

Really? We had Dayton on loan last season, who did ok, plus Sonupe who barely played. Neither could be accused of "getting us into the mess" we are in. Previously we had Drury who scored 3 goals in 12 games, hardly harming the team with that return.

Previously we had Newton, Dummet and Goncalves who helped win us a cup, and before that we had Carey and McGowan who did well enough on loan to get permanent transfers.

In short, I don't really see your point.

At a time when many of the players we sign are on one year contracts, what would be the problem in having a player from a bigger club on loan for a season? Especially as there would be a chance of getting them back on loan again if they do well, and also the chance of signing them permanently if it suits all parties.

Really? We had Dayton on loan last season, who did ok, plus Sonupe who barely played. Neither could be accused of "getting us into the mess" we are in. Previously we had Drury who scored 3 goals in 12 games, hardly harming the team with that return.

Previously we had Newton, Dummet and Goncalves who helped win us a cup, and before that we had Carey and McGowan who did well enough on loan to get permanent transfers.

At a time when many of the players we sign are on one year contracts, what would be the problem in having a player from a bigger club on loan for a season? Especially as there would be a chance of getting them back on loan again if they do well, and also the chance of signing them permanently if it suits all parties.

The only difference signing a player on a years loan v a 1 year contract, is that you will probably be able to bring a good quality player in on loan that you wouldnt necessarily be able to afford to sign on a full contract. Some work (Newton, Dummett, Goncalves) and some dont.

But we also started the season with Plummer as our 1st choice central defender. A guy I think was never interested in being here. A real risk with loan players and something that set us off on the wrong foot.

True, the loanees of 2012/13 were brilliant, but over the last 2 seasons they've been very poor overall.

But we also started the season with Plummer as our 1st choice central defender. A guy I think was never interested in being here. A real risk with loan players and something that set us off on the wrong foot.

True, the loanees of 2012/13 were brilliant, but over the last 2 seasons they've been very poor overall.

To be fair to Plummer he looked like our best centre back until he got injured. Drury, for all he had his detractors, scored 3 in 12 for us.

Even the season before last, we had Newton who did very well, Campbell who might have done better with more game time, and obviously Bahoken was the shocker. Our permanent signings such as Grainger, Harkins and Djemba Djemba were the real killers in terms of lack of effort, application and impact, at far higher cost to the club.

Similarly last season, it was our permanent signings such as Ball, Marwood & Caldwell who were more to blame for our poor season in my opinion, although I do see your point. Loan signings have to be good enough to come in and do a job, and not see matches for the club as training games.

The real bonus for us in terms of taking players on loan is that it can cost us very little in terms of wages to have extra bodies in the squad. The players need to be able to contribute though, obviously.

Edited by Soctty