Gary Teale Leaves By Mutual Consent.

Cheers for memories club treated you harshly like they usually do deserved better all the best in everything you do cheers for that pass to Isma

Exactly how did the club treat Gary harshly? Other than not getting the manager's job (most on here wanted someone out with the club), what else did the club do? McLean was sold because of a cash shortfall but we were crap even with Kenny in the team. Gary took on a job and failed to keep us up. Time to move on now.

I've been critical of him recently after his run as manager but I wish Teale all the very best for the future.

Although his St Mirren career has ended on a sour note I hope he reads this thread to see the genuine warmth that most fans feel for him - when in full flow (and confident) he was a terrific player to have in your team,

Exactly how did the club treat Gary harshly? Other than not getting the manager's job (most on here wanted someone out with the club), what else did the club do? McLean was sold because of a cash shortfall but we were crap even with Kenny in the team. Gary took on a job and failed to keep us up. Time to move on now.

You could argue that it is 1 year since the club gave him a 2 year player / coach contract. When Tommy Craig was sacked, they asked Teale to step up and take over with no experience and the club asked him to work with an assistant who also had no experience of being a No.2 with a first team squad. When the press asked him what targets he had been set by the board or how long he expected to be taking the team while the board looked at other applicants Teale said he didn't know how long he would be in charge for and he hadn't been set any targets by the board except to "try and improve things". The uncertainty over his position continued through all of December and most of January. How Teale was expected to try and sign players to strengthen the squad during the January window when he and prospective targets and the agents did not know his own position from one day to the next or if the board were interviewing other applicants or if the club was going to be sold is beyond me, especially when the board had appointed a rookie No.1 and rookie No.2!

Despite the uncertainty, Teale took 10 points from his first 10 games even though there 3 or 4 games where key refereeing decisions (red cards, penalty decisions, onside goals ruled offside, good goals not awarded) went against us and cost us another handful of points. We had something like 8 points from 13 or 14 league games when he took over.

During the January window, it looked to most people as if Teale was being asked to work with no money for signings while Motherwell and Ross County invested Gary was left to try and release 5 or 6 players and hopefully claw back enough money to bring in 1 or 2 additions from those savings. With a few days until the window closed he is finally told he is in charge until the end of the season, and on the last day of the window our best player and highest scorer was sold with no time to try and find replacements and little money from the deal being made available to bring in some additions.

in the last month, the board have said they had considered sacking him before the split but couldn't identify anyone better, were looking for new applications to take over and Teale could apply for an interview, and after giving Murray the job, SG said Teale would make a good manager in the future after he learned the ropes elsewhere and his contract would be sorted out this week after Murray talked with him.

SG has said Teale gave his all this season and carried out his duties with dignity and professionalism... yet he is being sacked as player / coach with a year left on his contract because he wasn't able to work miracles in the mess our own board dumped him in.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

I agree that it is probably for the best that Murray is free to make his own assessment of the squad and free to bring in his own team. Perhaps if Teale had been given more support, directions and funds for players he'd have done OK in the SPL without needing to gain experience elsewhere?

I think that was a lot of fans criticism of the BOD in general, that they dithered too long getting rid of Craig then left Teale scrambling to try and find players at the last minute.

Not getting the treated harshly line. He was afforded an opportunity, and didn't do enough to warrant the job on an ongoing basis.

I'm afraid the writing was on the wall after we capitulated to County and Motherwell when we were still in with a shout of staying up.

It was always a tall order, made all the more challenging by the sale of McLean, but I don't think that constitutes harsh treatment of the man. He accepted what was on offer, so was hardly coerced into taking the gig on. It didn't work out, sadly for all parties. As has been suggested, time to move on.

Not getting the treated harshly line. He was afforded an opportunity, and didn't do enough to warrant the job on an ongoing basis.

I'm afraid the writing was on the wall after we capitulated to County and Motherwell when we were still in with a shout of staying up.

It was always a tall order, made all the more challenging by the sale of McLean, but I don't think that constitutes harsh treatment of the man. He accepted what was on offer, so was hardly coerced into taking the gig on. It didn't work out, sadly for all parties. As has been suggested, time to move on.

I agree once Murray was appointed there is no way he could stay. I think the BOD could have given him a better chance by sacking Craig a lot earlier....but that's in the past, it's all about Murray now.

I have always been a big fan of Gary , especially after what he said when we won the Cup and I concur with what you said . .

It was unfortunate the way it panned out for him in the end but he still says that the Cup was the high point in his career . .good luck to him. .

Thanks for your efforts ON and OFF the pitch Gary.

I truly believe you have the makings of a great coach / manager and will follow your career with interest and gratitude.

You gave your best for Saints and we could ask for no more.

The cup win is and will always be a life highlight, and you were a major factor in that. That alone earns you club legend status.

You also took up the poisoned chalice after the damage had been done and the divisions set. I admire your courage and conviction, and whilst I disagreed with many a decision, I fully respected your right to make them.

You didn't shy away from the difficult decisions, and I reckon the last few months will serve as a great apprenticeship as you go on to better things.

Good luck in all you do and thanks. I truly appreciate your efforts.

Edited by BuddieinEK

Was outstanding throughout the cup winning season. Will never forget his interview after the Celtic game.

All the best Gary.

I would also confer legendary status on those semi final Saints fans you can hear in the background singing "Teale will tear you apart again".

Gary's heart must have been wanting to burst out his shirt.

I think a case can be made for saying he was a bit harshly treated. For almost half his time in charge he was operating without much public support from the people who appointed him: i.e. he was only made interim manager 7 weeks after becoming the caretaker boss, and spent most of the January transfer window waiting for clarification about his own role at the club. Compare the level of support Teale got from our BoD in contrast with Ross County backing McIntyre and Dodds in the January window and Motherwell signing the likes of Pearson, Johnson, MacDonald in January, we punted our best player and top goalscorer leaving Teale with no money or time to find a replacement. Teale also spent the last month in charge after the board had told the media they had considered sacking him before the split. A proactive board might have taken the view Teale was a decent managerial prospect but would need help with an experienced No.2 by his side and help to strengthen the squad and public support from those running the club. McIntyre and Barraclough both endured sticky spells early on in their time with Ross County and Motherwell but their chairmen made money available to strengthen the squad and didn't suggest their board had considered sacking their new appointments. Even though he inherited Tommy Craig's squad and then lost our best player Teale was on course to win enough points over 38 games to each 10th or 11th. I'm sure there are players in the squad that he would have liked to axe in January but his hands were tied because of contracts. I'm not sure many people could have got a lot more out of guys like Wylde.

I think a case can be made for saying he was a bit harshly treated. For almost half his time in charge he was operating without much public support from the people who appointed him: i.e. he was only made interim manager 7 weeks after becoming the caretaker boss, and spent most of the January transfer window waiting for clarification about his own role at the club. Compare the level of support Teale got from our BoD in contrast with Ross County backing McIntyre and Dodds in the January window and Motherwell signing the likes of Pearson, Johnson, MacDonald in January, we punted our best player and top goalscorer leaving Teale with no money or time to find a replacement. Teale also spent the last month in charge after the board had told the media they had considered sacking him before the split. A proactive board might have taken the view Teale was a decent managerial prospect but would need help with an experienced No.2 by his side and help to strengthen the squad and public support from those running the club. McIntyre and Barraclough both endured sticky spells early on in their time with Ross County and Motherwell but their chairmen made money available to strengthen the squad and didn't suggest their board had considered sacking their new appointments. Even though he inherited Tommy Craig's squad and then lost our best player Teale was on course to win enough points over 38 games to each 10th or 11th. I'm sure there are players in the squad that he would have liked to axe in January but his hands were tied because of contracts. I'm not sure many people could have got a lot more out of guys like Wylde.

He wasn't badly treated at all. He was given a fantastic opportunity as number 2 to TC. He was then given the managers job,

He decided to sign Arquin, Snoupe and the likes. He guided us to gutless 5-0 and 3-0 defeats to our nearest rivals.

If anyone was treated badly it was Thommo. He wasn't given any opportunity and his contract has ran out "Teale has another year left".

Teale did his best but it didn't work out, he was treated fairly.

He was in the media on the Thursday saying he hadn't been interviewed Abd Murray installed on the Friday. When we had a game on the sat

You telling me that's a decent way to treat a guy that helped give us one of best days ever

My reading of the situation is that Dumbarton released the news that Murray was leaving thus making our BoD's statement inevitable.

..............and didn't the BoD get criticized last season for delaying the announcement of DL's departure to the Monday morning thus denying us a proper chance to say goodbye?

Never easy to handle these situations.

Good luck Gary. I will allways remember the time when,

Thompson flicked on, with you in full flight.

You waltzed past defenders, down on the right.

A quick look around,and you saw it so plain.

You passed it to Isma, who then scored again.

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES.

The most selfless act ever seen - a prime example of playing for the team. Excellent move and utter class to make the pass.

Found that youtube piece quite moving. GT is a man of honour and great integrity, it's a shame that a role at the club hasn't materialised for him. He was instrumental in giving us one of the greatest days in our clubs history and I for one salute him for that. Is he cut out for club management? That's a moot point for now. What's not in question is how much our success meant to him, even after all he had achieved in the game. Now that's saying something. Goodbye Gary and thank you