Scott Agnew

FIFY

Marc Corcoran played a number of great games for us.

He had a good run after that Motherwell game and had s stormer in the 4-1 win away at Airdrie.

He also played a part in saving us from relegation in our first season up. Remember him having a top game in the 2-0 win at tannadice.

To balance things up, I do also remember Stuart raving about a certain Marc Corcoran...

While things went astray latterly, he did actually do a great job for us...

Yep, I raved about Corcoran and if you'll also remember I was also very quick to write off Mark Crilly and Robert Dunn as duds prior to them signing for St Mirren having watched both play for Stirling Albion in a match against Albion Rovers.

I'm not perfect and I do get it wrong sometimes. McGroarty was certainly one of them. I believed I had watched him play for Dunfermline against Raith Rovers and I thought he had played well. Nosferatu in his previous alias was able then to show that he hadn't actually played in the match that I had watched and he was right. Another embarrassing one for me that didn't make it onto the internet was back in the days of Dundee United having a squad full of players with blonde highlights through their hair. I spent the whole match shouting abuse at Stephen Pressley when eventually - late in the second half - a helpful St Mirren fan tapped me on the shoulder to advise me that Stephen Pressley wasn't playing and that it was infact Brian Welsh that I was shouting at.

Marc Corcoran played a number of great games for us.

He had a good run after that Motherwell game and had s stormer in the 4-1 win away at Airdrie.

He also played a part in saving us from relegation in our first season up. Remember him having a top game in the 2-0 win at tannadice.

He was never utilised to his full potential either. Gus McPherson had him play as a wing back and then as a centre forward, and only occasionally played him on the left side of a midfield four. It was like trying to bang a square peg into a round hole. Something that I did warn of before St Mirren signed him. Corcoran always looked far more impressive playing on the left side of a front three. He would have been perfect had Tom Hendrie still been manager and he had been looking for an upgrade for Junior Mendes. Unfortunately it was the ever more negative Gus McPherson that took Corcoran to St Mirren and I don't believe he ever lived up to his potential as a result.

I can't remember who it was at the club that contacted me to ask what sort of salary Corcoran was on but I also remember advising them that although I rated Corcoran very highly that I didn't think he would fit St Mirren's style of play at that time.

Agnew will be a good signing, I'm sure of it because if Stuart Dickson has written him off, he's bound to be good.

I haven't written him off. All I have said is that I have watched a considerable number of lower league fixtures over the years and given the dates and clubs that Agnew has played for I would have imagined I would have watched him play a number of times, however if he had he had never stood out enough for me to go look out his name or to track his career. It would put him in a similar category to Gareth Wardlaw, Peter Bradley and Darren McGregor who I must have seen before they signed for St Mirren but none of whom had stood out enough to make me remember their names.

Yep, I raved about Corcoran and if you'll also remember I was also very quick to write off Mark Crilly and Robert Dunn as duds prior to them signing for St Mirren having watched both play for Stirling Albion in a match against Albion Rovers.

I'm not perfect and I do get it wrong sometimes. McGroarty was certainly one of them. I believed I had watched him play for Dunfermline against Raith Rovers and I thought he had played well. Nosferatu in his previous alias was able then to show that he hadn't actually played in the match that I had watched and he was right. Another embarrassing one for me that didn't make it onto the internet was back in the days of Dundee United having a squad full of players with blonde highlights through their hair. I spent the whole match shouting abuse at Stephen Pressley when eventually - late in the second half - a helpful St Mirren fan tapped me on the shoulder to advise me that Stephen Pressley wasn't playing and that it was infact Brian Welsh that I was shouting at.

To be fair, I actually thought that McGroarty looked like a great prospect at the time after watching him on a couple of occasions. Edited to add - (prior to him signing for us, whilst at Dunfermline.)

You could really say the same for the likes of Eddie Annand, Andy Dow Kevin Twaddle etc, they just didnt work out.

Edited by kevo_smfc

He was never utilised to his full potential either. Gus McPherson had him play as a wing back and then as a centre forward, and only occasionally played him on the left side of a midfield four. It was like trying to bang a square peg into a round hole. Something that I did warn of before St Mirren signed him. Corcoran always looked far more impressive playing on the left side of a front three. He would have been perfect had Tom Hendrie still been manager and he had been looking for an upgrade for Junior Mendes. Unfortunately it was the ever more negative Gus McPherson that took Corcoran to St Mirren and I don't believe he ever lived up to his potential as a result.

I can't remember who it was at the club that contacted me to ask what sort of salary Corcoran was on but I also remember advising them that although I rated Corcoran very highly that I didn't think he would fit St Mirren's style of play at that time.

Corcoran would possibly have done better today in the 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 formations that are in vogue. I could have seen him in a Kris Commons tyle roll behind the main striker.

I think though that the main reason he didn't really make it was because he didn't have heart or determination.

Corcoran would possibly have done better today in the 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 formations that are in vogue. I could have seen him in a Kris Commons tyle roll behind the main striker.

I think though that the main reason he didn't really make it was because he didn't have heart or determination.

That's what I think as well, as soon as anything went against Corcoran, bad first touch, or somebody kicked him (or it was raining, or it was cold, etc) the head went down and he jacked it. He just didn't really have the heart for it and that's the main reason he didn't make it much further than us.

Still, when it was going for him I actually thought he was great to watch, and like you say, it wasn't just that game against Motherwell. If anything the other one you mention against Airdrie he was even better.

That's what I think as well, as soon as anything went against Corcoran, bad first touch, or somebody kicked him (or it was raining, or it was cold, etc) the head went down and he jacked it. He just didn't really have the heart for it and that's the main reason he didn't make it much further than us.

Still, when it was going for him I actually thought he was great to watch, and like you say, it wasn't just that game against Motherwell. If anything the other one you mention against Airdrie he was even better.

Corcoran played a few games for us mostly against Motherwell seem to turn it on against them

It was the cup games against the Fakes when the support turned against him

He shat himself against Gary Irvine who was playing directly against him

Just running away hiding on the wing not wanting the ball in case the big bad Gary would kick him

The Fakes strolled by us in the last ever Scottish Cup tie at Love St

Corcoran played a few games for us mostly against Motherwell seem to turn it on against them

It was the cup games against the Fakes when the support turned against him

He shat himself against Gary Irvine who was playing directly against him

Just running away hiding on the wing not wanting the ball in case the big bad Gary would kick him

The Fakes strolled by us in the last ever Scottish Cup tie at Love St

I thought you said you coached a team of kids? If you do what do you say to your Centre Forward when he's being tightly marked by a bigger more powerful centre half? I don't know about you but I usually instruct the ones I coached to go for a wander because it makes the Centre Half make a decision. He either follows you out wide onto the wing leaving space in the centre, or he lets you go and leaves the full back to deal with you. I don't remember the game you are referring to. At a guess I would suggest I probably wasn't at the game but what you describe would be text book in my opinion, especially when Corcoran was clearly happier in a wide role.

I spent the best part of three seasons watching Corcoran, on and off. I saw him getting booted about the Junior Leagues on heavy parks, I watched Berwick Rangers doing a hatchet job on him every time he got the ball only for him to bounce back up setting up the two goals that gave the Accies the points and I saw him torment a very tough Airdrie defence in their promotion year. Maybe he was a bottler and it was just that Brian McPhee, Alex Neill and Allan Maitland did a better job of keeping him focused and on his game.

I thought you said you coached a team of kids? If you do what do you say to your Centre Forward when he's being tightly marked by a bigger more powerful centre half? I don't know about you but I usually instruct the ones I coached to go for a wander because it makes the Centre Half make a decision. He either follows you out wide onto the wing leaving space in the centre, or he lets you go and leaves the full back to deal with you. I don't remember the game you are referring to. At a guess I would suggest I probably wasn't at the game but what you describe would be text book in my opinion, especially when Corcoran was clearly happier in a wide role.

I spent the best part of three seasons watching Corcoran, on and off. I saw him getting booted about the Junior Leagues on heavy parks, I watched Berwick Rangers doing a hatchet job on him every time he got the ball only for him to bounce back up setting up the two goals that gave the Accies the points and I saw him torment a very tough Airdrie defence in their promotion year. Maybe he was a bottler and it was just that Brian McPhee, Alex Neill and Allan Maitland did a better job of keeping him focused and on his game.

Wasn't being tightly marked

He basically ran away and didn't want involved

Irvine had the right hand side to himself and was in our half the majority of the time

This wasn't a ploy of him creating space for others

This was him finding a hole and disappearing down it as he didn't fancy it

The biggest crime there is in my book

Wasn't being tightly marked

He basically ran away and didn't want involved

Irvine had the right hand side to himself and was in our half the majority of the time

This wasn't a ploy of him creating space for others

This was him finding a hole and disappearing down it as he didn't fancy it

The biggest crime there is in my book

Fair enough. As I said I wasn't at the game. However as I've said I've seen Corcoran taking a real doing at lower levels of the game and I've watched him get back up and going for more. Maybe it was down to better man management and his team mates geeing him up when he needed it - but he certainly didn't give the impression of being chicken hearted when I watched him. He did have one game I remember against Livingston where he was disappointingly quiet but the whole Hamilton side played poorly that day and there didn't seem to be much supply.

My point was that he made a comment about not going back to the sons and first signing was ,I hope he is a bit more media savvy for the rest of the season but hey ho ! .....good news we are on the recruiting trail and welcome to the club Scott!

Moving back to the title of this thread , Murray said he wasn't going to raid the sons and days later he does ??...not great PR!

My point was that he made a comment about not going back to the sons and first signing was ,I hope he is a bit more media savvy for the rest of the season but hey ho ! .....good news we are on the recruiting trail and welcome to the club Scott!

Has he signed.