Scott Agnew

Yesterdays game was a classic example of Agnew's diffiencies.

He covered more of the pitch than anyone else, moving right across (is this his assigned role, or does he just 'bunch' like thenother wee boys his height) but when he gets to where the action is, he stands off it!

Whats the point of chasing the game around if you aint going to contribute when you are around the ball. It was noticable that when Howieson came off we became completely unable to hold the ball up in midfield, and Agnew sat further back doing nowt. This is why Murray is dropping and subbing him, he seems scared or clueless to get involved and break things up, or dominate the midfield. It looks like all he is interested in is getting a shot in every third game or so?

Yesterdays game was a classic example of Agnew's diffiencies.

He covered more of the pitch than anyone else, moving right across (is this his assigned role, or does he just 'bunch' like thenother wee boys his height) but when he gets to where the action is, he stands off it!

Whats the point of chasing the game around if you aint going to contribute when you are around the ball. It was noticable that when Howieson came off we became completely unable to hold the ball up in midfield, and Agnew sat further back doing nowt. This is why Murray is dropping and subbing him, he seems scared or clueless to get involved and break things up, or dominate the midfield. It looks like all he is interested in is getting a shot in every third game or so?

You really need to get out a bit more! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Scott Agnew was excellent yesterday. He definitely borders on being a luxury player, but anyone who can strike a ball like that will be an asset at this level. I would like to see him getting into the box more - he reminds very much of Dorman, albeit with fewer goals.

Obviously I don't see every game but I do get the sense we're gelling slightly now.

Edited by Magic Monkey

Defended well yesterday and was an effective (if unexpected) spoiler given Jim picked up a ridiculous booking and had to temper his game accordingly. Agnew's distribution was also much improved.

He deserves a run in the team based on recent performances.

I have appreciated Agnew's shooting but besides that I thought he was pretty useless in midfield as he requires about 4 touches to control a ball, stands off players, can't win a ball and isn't confident enough on the ball to make a decent pass. Too many non-effective passes to the player standing next to him.

However yesterday he showed a huge improvement on what we have seen so far this season. I was impressed by him and now we know what he can do I hope he starts to deliver that sort of performance on a regular basis. He is not there yet but there is a decent player in there if he can show that level more consistently.

To be fair to Agnew at least he had a couple of decent attempts

CARSWELL is a complete passenger - woeful display yesterday when he came on for Goowdin he should never be anywhere near the team again.

It's unbelievable he played so many games for Motherwell. His game seems to be based on running beside and sort of hassling the player in possession. I must have missed the memo where it was decided that was sufficient to land a job as a pro footballer.

He can join Gow in the void.

I have appreciated Agnew's shooting but besides that I thought he was pretty useless in midfield as he requires about 4 touches to control a ball, stands off players, can't win a ball and isn't confident enough on the ball to make a decent pass. Too many non-effective passes to the player standing next to him.

However yesterday he showed a huge improvement on what we have seen so far this season. I was impressed by him and now we know what he can do I hope he starts to deliver that sort of performance on a regular basis. He is not there yet but there is a decent player in there if he can show that level more consistently.

I think it's quite obvious he's a decent player. Probably our best player!

How about attacking some of the other passengers in our squad

I think it's quite obvious he's a decent player. Probably our best player!

How about attacking some of the other passengers in our squad

'I have appreciated Agnew's shooting'

'I was impressed by him '

'there is a decent player in there'

Hardly an attack, is it?

I provided my constructive opinion as to what I see as his strengths and weaknesses. You may not agree which is fine but I did not attack the player.

And he is no way, in my opinion of course before I am accused of further attacks, 'probably our best player'. Would not even make the Top 5.

He had a good game on Sat but that is his first good game against opposition in the League.

Scott Agnew was excellent yesterday. He definitely borders on being a luxury player, but anyone who can strike a ball like that will be an asset at this level. I would like to see him getting into the box more - he reminds very much of Dorman, albeit with fewer goals.

Obviously I don't see every game but I do get the sense we're gelling slightly now.

Dorman scored 19 in 88 games, Agnew has 5 in 11.

While it is less goals it is considerably less games too but his goals to game ratio is damn good.

Your honest opinion above is mirrored by the players manager as well. Still it wont stop some from attacking you about it.

Agnew is clearly an attacking player. With the ability in his left foot, he's always got a chance to score. It's fair to say his general game was poor in the early weeks of the season though, which is why he found himself out of the team. He's gone away and worked at his game, and grabbed the chance to get back in the team when it came along.

Still not convinced with him playing such a deep role, but no complaints about his performance on Sunday. Closed down players, harried them and passed it well. It's good to have some competition for places, as Howieson also did well, and McMullen is a guy who will want to be in the team too. Added to that we had Shankland to bring off the bench.

• 6 months later...