Roundabout Protocol

shull

You obviously can't remember what you say on here. Unless, of course, you are saying that everyone with a driving license is truly stupid and incompetent.

I think most are incompetent and stoopit.

Sitting at the side of the Paisley Road West presently.

13 vehicles just passed me in a line.

Apart from the front car, the other 12 were tailgating .

Why?

Dunno.

Scary

And why can't people not drive at maximum 30mph in Towns , Cities , etc?

I've had people overtake me at crazy speeds just to get to a red traffic light first, about 100 yards away.

I'm in favour of a retest preceded by mandatory training and also a test on motorway driving as too many people don't know what the rules are , in particular , what is the correct procedure when there is a car coming down a slip road to join the motorway when you are already on it. .

ETA you are right about it being another tax . .

It is up to the car entering the motorway to find a suitable gap and match the speed of the cars already on the motorway. It is courteous for the driver on the motorway, if feasable, to move into the middle lane to allow more room for the driver on the sliproad to join the motorway.

Guest TPAFKATS

And why can't people not drive at maximum 30mph in Towns , Cities , etc?

I've had people overtake me at crazy speeds just to get to a red traffic light first, about 100 yards away.

Probably because these drivers don't look at what is happening on the road 100 yds away?

I take my foot of accelerator when coming to red lights, as opposed to driving at same speed then braking at last moment. This seems to upset a fair number of drivers behind me.

You obviously can't remember what you say on here. Unless, of course, you are saying that everyone with a driving license is truly stupid and incompetent.

Yeah I'm getting confused between receiving fines for things like speeding (which you have to be stupid to fall for) and future things like retesting (which I couldn't care less about in terms of whether it's for safety or a cash cow).

I personally am only interested in reducing deaths and accidents.

We have too many of both and IMO we solve that by getting morons (of which there are many) off the road and into buses and taxis where they can't do any harm to other road users.

In general terms you are correct but there are some exceptions. There are some roads that are very badly designed and, if you don't know the road, they can be dangerous because of this. Motorway exits from the right-hand lane, for example, are dangerous simply because slower moving traffic has to move across faster moving traffic to get to them.

Partly agree but in both instances the problem is other people driving too fast like cocky bastards and not allowing newbies the time or space to get their orientation correct. The roads are an unforgiving place in a way that pedestrian areas aren't.

On the pavements, people give way to each other and are helpful and generally patient with queues.

On the roads, people are just f**king animals - aggressive, selfish, arrogant and bullying.

It's cultural.

Yep. When you come up to the roundabout and have to stop because there's a guy on the roundabout who is signaling right as if he is continuing around the roundabout - but then turns left, off the roundabout!

On entering a roundabout, and you are taking the first exit you SHOULD be signalling left and be taking the left hand lane. If not, you SHOULD be signalling right, then left immediately after the exit before you're actual desired exit. Something that most drivers ether don't know or ignore. Some even argue about it. Apart from being the law, it is common courtesy.

Two things about roundabouts that really rip my tits is:

- those drivers who are in the right-hand lane of a two lane roundabout who think it's okay to start pumping their horn at you if you even attempt to enter onto the left hand lane. It's a two lane roundabout FFS!

- the self-same same drivers who, while exiting onto a 2 lane exit (the same exit you are signalling to go off at), just cut right across you to get into the inside lane as fast as possible, instead of waiting till after exiting the roundabout before changing lanes - IF IT IS SAFE TO DO SO.

So the take home message from this thread is "everyone is a shite driver except me".

If people really thought they were that good a driver they'd support the idea of having to sit a retest every 5 years and would support moves to make it much easier to lose your licence.

It's almost impossible to lose your licence. It shouldn't be.

Funny how people go quiet on this when a real solution is presented.

None of the above is a solution Bud. They are processes.

Glad to help.

The (relatively) new roundabout at Lomondgate on the bypass between Dumbarton and Balloch is hellish for this, with the Bellsmyre r'about a quarter of a mile south not being much better.

I'm surprised there aren't more bumps.

That roundabout is a joke. Far too wee and too many lanes to cope. Beside an artic = get crushed. Typical save money and computerised design instead of getting someone competent to actually think about it!

Most of the biggish ones are lane lined so it should be very easy for Drivers to negotiate them.

But they f**king don't.

They don't stick to the correct lanes, resulting in chaos and near misses .

Braidcraft R'bout in Pollok coming from Silverburn and leading onto Corkerhill Road is perfect example.

I follow the correct lane everytime but 9 cars out of 10 behind me always nearly ram me as they have wrongly crossed over lanes .

Bad drivers and lazy drivers

Fannies.

There is actually an issue with the markings on that roundabout that they don't work and you need to cross lanes to be correct!

Just witnessed a motorist harrassiingly tailgate a Learner Driver on Mosspark Boulevard.

The Learner was doing approximately 30 in a 30.

Morons do need to be removed from the highways.

Partly agree but in both instances the problem is other people driving too fast like cocky bastards and not allowing newbies the time or space to get their orientation correct. The roads are an unforgiving place in a way that pedestrian areas aren't.

On the pavements, people give way to each other and are helpful and generally patient with queues.

On the roads, people are just f**king animals - aggressive, selfish, arrogant and bullying.

It's cultural.

It is something to do with when they get into a vehicle , many people seem to suddenly think they are invincible and their common courtesy gets left outside the vehicle . Cultural yes but it is something that has happened in more recent years whereby they adopted a 'to hell with everyone else attitude' when they fire up the engine. .

That roundabout is a joke. Far too wee and too many lanes to cope. Beside an artic = get crushed. Typical save money and computerised design instead of getting someone competent to actually think about it!

There is actually an issue with the markings on that roundabout that they don't work and you need to cross lanes to be correct!

No issues at all . Once in your required lined lane, stay in it till exit.

Simple

It is something to do with when they get into a vehicle , many people seem to suddenly think they are invincible and their common courtesy gets left outside the vehicle . Cultural yes but it is something that has happened in more recent years whereby they adopted a 'to hell with everyone else attitude' when they fire up the engine. .

Been like that for years mate.

Edited by stlucifer

On entering a roundabout, and you are taking the first exit you SHOULD be signalling left and be taking the left hand lane. If not, you SHOULD be signalling right, then left immediately after the exit before you're actual desired exit. Something that most drivers ether don't know or ignore. Some even argue about it. Apart from being the law, it is common courtesy.

Not quite, Vambo, it's not law, it's rule 186 in the Highway Code. You only signal right if you're taking the last exit, otherwise no indication until the junction before the one you're exiting at which point you indicate left.

Won't let me copy the address but Google "Highway Code Roundabout" and it gets you a link.

Not quite, Vambo, it's not law, it's rule 186 in the Highway Code. You only signal right if you're taking the last exit, otherwise no indication until the junction before the one you're exiting at which point you indicate left.

Won't let me copy the address but Google "Highway Code Roundabout" and it gets you a link.

Quite correct.

If you're going "straight through" a roundabout, you should only signal left when actually leaving the "straight through" turn off.

That's because in a car they feel they are protected by a cloak of anonymity and so they behave that way because they feel there are no consequences in doing so. The internet is the same.trolls everywhere.

None of the above is a solution Bud. They are processes.

Glad to help.

You are wrong about the signalling right bit. Glad to help.

No issues at all . Once in your required lined lane, stay in it till exit.

Simple

Yeah but I'm sure there is a movement there which requires you to cut across the lines because they had an issue with 2 movements they couldn't get to work with the markings.

Its a rather difficult roundabout to make work- spent enough of my working life on it.

We need to build more cycle lanes. And I don't mean a small strip down the side of a road that is full of pot holes.

Paisley road west / Glasgow road for example. Use the inside lane as a cycle lane only. No buses or taxis. And get the parked cars removed.

Bus drivers really are a shower of cu-nts.