Roundabout Protocol

shull

That's because in a car they feel they are protected by a cloak of anonymity and so they behave that way because they feel there are no consequences in doing so. The internet is the same.trolls everywhere.

Ironic.

You need to calm down oaksoft

Maybe u need to get a real job in the real world instead of doing a worthless job and sponging off taxpayers.

Yeah but I'm sure there is a movement there which requires you to cut across the lines because they had an issue with 2 movements they couldn't get to work with the markings.

Its a rather difficult roundabout to make work- spent enough of my working life on it.

Are we talking same roundabout?

The one I refer to is halfway down Braidcraft Road where it meets Linthaugh Road and Corkerhill.

If it's the Pollok one at Silverburn then I agree with you.

Not quite, Vambo, it's not law, it's rule 186 in the Highway Code. You only signal right if you're taking the last exit, otherwise no indication until the junction before the one you're exiting at which point you indicate left.

Won't let me copy the address but Google "Highway Code Roundabout" and it gets you a link.

Was when I took my test if I disremember correctly. Signalling right is a common courtesy to let people know you are not exiting NOW.

You are wrong about the signalling right bit. Glad to help.

So, if a roundabout has 4 or 5 exits and and you are taking the third, how do folk behind you and in the 1st and 2nd entry roads know where you are likely to be going?

BTW, IMO, I would force all cars to actually STOP before entering a roundabout. The speeds would be cut down to a safer level.

Edited by Vambo57

There is no such thing as a perfect driver we all have faults.

Driving to Greenock on a regular basis is a great laugh thumbdown.gif . So much so I've bought a dash camera to record my journeys.

My pet hate is lack of indicators at roundabouts/junctions and people who cruise at 40 in a 60 then continue to do 40 when it comes to a 30 zone.

So your solution is to (1) stop the residents of all of Paisley Road West and Glasgow Road from parking outside of their house and (2) stop people getting safely on and off buses. Sounds good. whistling.gif:

In between hires , I park on the Paisley Road West to take advantage of a BT Hotspot, where I can contribute to this magnificent Forum for free..

I'm no moving.

Was when I took my test if I disremember correctly. Signalling right is a common courtesy to let people know you are not exiting NOW.

So, if a roundabout has 4 or 5 exits and and you are taking the third, how do folk behind you and in the 1st and 2nd entry roads know where you are likely to be going?

BTW, IMO, I would force all cars to actually STOP before entering a roundabout. The speeds would be cut down to a safer level.

Wasn't when I took mine in 1978.

If you're not indicating left then you're not leaving at the next exit. It's pretty straightforward, really.

TBH bud, you really need to go and read the highway code again if you need to be told this.

Normally I'd be more helpful but you're unlucky enough to be the umpteenth person to ask me something they could easily find out themselves and I've lost a bit of patience.

Time for some relaxing whale music I think.

Shull,

What you think about the crazy new bus lane on Govan Road where the cars are on the inside and the buses to the outside.......?

Madness.

Seems madness at the moment, especially at the Squinty Bridge. Hopefully it will be fine in time.

Wouldnae mind being allowed in those Bus Lanes, just like we are in the others.

Biggest bug bear for me is the increase in the number of drivers going through red lights. I can understand going through an amber light when it changes as you hit the lights but no excuse for the absolute idiots who still ambulance chase when you have a green light at a junction and have to brake because said idiot couldn't wait. The volume of accidents at the Raith interchange is in the main cause by impatient drivers going through a red light.

I would advocate that all traffic lights have a camera that clocks these dangerous drivers ignoring traffic control.

Biggest bug bear for me is the increase in the number of drivers going through red lights. I can understand going through an amber light when it changes as you hit the lights but no excuse for the absolute idiots who still ambulance chase when you have a green light at a junction and have to brake because said idiot couldn't wait. The volume of accidents at the Raith interchange is in the main cause by impatient drivers going through a red light.

I would advocate that all traffic lights have a camera that clocks these dangerous drivers ignoring traffic control.

Yeah I've been a amber gambler on a couple of occasions and just made it but somehow the car behind and even sometimes 2 cars behind go through a red light. I think the traffic lights have a extra couple of seconds gap to take these idiots into consideration.

The traffic lights at Buddies Bar are a nightmare. Always get some w@nk trying to cut in in front of you from the middle lane because they are too impatient to wait an extra minute. Next time it happens I am not slamming on the brakes lol.gif .

I'm not getting back in a car with you at the wheel Vambo,

When exiting a roundabout you put your left indicator on when at or just past the exit before the one you wish to take - that's how I remember it.

Signalling right means you are not at or just past the exit before the one you want to take.

e.g. If you want to take exit number 3 then signal left at or just past exit number 2, taking exit number 1 signal left as you approach the roundabout, taking number 2 (plop) signal left at number 1 (pish) etc., etc.,

My pet hate is the amount of cnuts coming round the Renfrew Rd/Washington Road roundabout from the Renfrew/M8 direction as I'm coming up from the Paisley direction. There are 3 lanes coming from the Arkelston side,an inside one for carrying on towards Paisley, an outside one for the retail park or M8 White Cart Viaduct, or going back round towards Renfrew, and a middle lane marked for both directions. The rush hour tailbacks going back down to the Esso station caused by non indicating middle lane users coming through the roundabout are unbelievable ! Same applies to outside lane users further down at the Chivas/McDonalds roundabout, folk going straight on in the outside lane whilst the opposing traffic has to stop in case they're going around.

My pet hate is the amount of cnuts coming round the Renfrew Rd/Washington Road roundabout from the Renfrew/M8 direction as I'm coming up from the Paisley direction. There are 3 lanes coming from the Arkelston side,an inside one for carrying on towards Paisley, an outside one for the retail park or M8 White Cart Viaduct, or going back round towards Renfrew, and a middle lane marked for both directions. The rush hour tailbacks going back down to the Esso station caused by non indicating middle lane users coming through the roundabout are unbelievable ! Same applies to outside lane users further down at the Chivas/McDonalds roundabout, folk going straight on in the outside lane whilst the opposing traffic has to stop in case they're going around.

The outside one is M8 or Renfrew only, FS, not the retail park. Middle lane for the retail park or Paisley, inside Paisley only. But, yes, they should be indicating left from that middle lane and it does cause precisely that problem. Basic lack of manners, that's the root cause. I blame Thatcher......

Wasn't when I took mine in 1978.

If you're not indicating left then you're not leaving at the next exit. It's pretty straightforward, really.

Leaves a lot of guesswork for those entering, as most don't bother to indicate at all!

TBH bud, you really need to go and read the highway code again if you need to be told this.

Normally I'd be more helpful but you're unlucky enough to be the umpteenth person to ask me something they could easily find out themselves and I've lost a bit of patience.

Time for some relaxing whale music I think.

Aww precious... Get over yersel, I wasn't asking you anything.

Shull,

What you think about the crazy new bus lane on Govan Road where the cars are on the inside and the buses to the outside.......?

Madness.

I think it is madness. If you get behind a guy on his bike you can now not legally pass him.... Stupid system.

Yeah I've been a amber gambler on a couple of occasions and just made it but somehow the car behind and even sometimes 2 cars behind go through a red light. I think the traffic lights have a extra couple of seconds gap to take these idiots into consideration.

They don't as increasing dead time is inefficient and it would encourage more people to take a chance with jumping them.

Typically from the light leaving green to the other light going green is 5 seconds- perhaps 6 seconds at small urban junctions.

Guest TPAFKATS

I think it is madness. If you get behind a guy on his bike you can now not legally pass him.... Stupid system.

They don't as increasing dead time is inefficient and it would encourage more people to take a chance with jumping them.

Typically from the light leaving green to the other light going green is 5 seconds- perhaps 6 seconds at small urban junctions.

Glasgow Rd / mill St cross roads junction is a prime example. Buses constantly run the lights when heading onto gauze st. Sitting at front of q on mill st your lights turn green and you have a bus belting through. Even worse when it's a bendy bus