St Mirren V Bradford City Friendly Match 18/7/15

shull

Firstly it was a training game so pretty difficult to accurately give an assessment however my thoughts are as follows :)

Was impressed with Kelly and Baird today but we need more cover in central defence. Conlan and Howieson looked average at best. Like last season we played some pretty patterns but did not achieve anything. For the first 20 mins we played 4-5-1 with Thommo on his own and absolutely no punch or even ball retention. Moved the wide guys up a wee bit after that but still little to no support for Thommo who was isolated. McMullan looks like he could be a game changer and winner. Young Rooney was only on for 10 mins and although a raw laddie I would offer him a contract now. The other trialists showed little to warrant a contract offer IMHO.

Pretty boring afternoon :)

Didn't think we were great today. Bradford look a decent team and they were certainly better at closing down and pressing. We were a bit lacklustre and let them push up and onto us too much.

Formation seemed to be 4-1-4-1 which left Thommo isolated as there was nobody getting forward from midfield to support like McGowan or McLean used to. Perhaps having a deeper striker / attacking mid might work?

Kelly and Baird don't fill me with confidence as a starting centre back pairing. Need a new CB for sure. The LB seemed OK, but Howieson looked poor. Need another striker too.

Thought we improved when Goodwin came on too. Right back looked good, but with Naismith there how many games will he get?

Edited by flyingscot

Think the comments about Thompson are unfair.

He was up front on his own and our shitty tippy tappy play usually ended with us losing possession in our own half.

McMullan gave him son support on the right but Howieson was a complete ghost and I don't remember him putting in a single cross.

Yeah we were well beaten today.

Didn't think any of the trialists impressed really. Performance and result though is largely irrelevant.

Alarm bells will start ringing if we don't get through next week...

Edited by TopCat

Think the comments about Thompson are unfair.

He was up front on his own and our shitty tippy tappy play usually ended with us losing possession in our own half.

McMullan gave him son support on the right but Howieson was a complete ghost and I don't remember him putting in a single cross.

seen him twice and not seen him put in one cross or go to take anyone on.

Mcmullan on the other hand was the complete opposite every time he got the ball was positive and looked to do something.

Would rather see McLear or Morgan than howieson

Howieson didn't show much, left back was decent without being brilliant. Lavelle-Moore didn't get a chance to show us anything really. Looked fairly slow, only touched the ball twice, both times with his back to goal, laying the ball back into midfield. Nowhere near enough to judge him on, no supply.

These type of games with so many substitutions going on make it really difficult to judge a players overall ability when play is constantly broken up.

I thought the trialists done okay. Conlan looks like he could be a good signing for left back role, Howieson, looked as if he would be better tucked in the centre, though hardly wasted the ball. Shaun Rooney for his age ( 18 ), is some size of a boy. Looked to settle in near the end. The boy up front was barely given any game time to make an impact, tho may be worth another look.

Edited by kevo_smfc

Yeah we were well beaten today.

Didn't think any of the trialists impressed really. Performance and result though is largely irrelevant.

Alarm bells will start ringing if we don't get through next week...

This.

Can't believe I'm agreeing with TopCat...

I really hope Bradford are more than a cut above what we will play against this season, otherwise I expect another disappointing season.

I'd like us to play with a bit more urgency, playing short passes around at the back has a time and place. We should try and actually hit teams on the break, instead of letting them get numbers behind the ball.

May not have been the same team but on their day Bradford have been very good within the last few months....

On 24 January 2015, Bradford City caused an upset by beating Premiership-leaders Chelsea 4–2 away in the FA Cup. The victory sent Bradford through to the fifth round for the first time in 18 years. They beat Sunderland, another Premier League club, 2–0 at home in the next round on 15 February 2015.

Did I miss the first competitive match of the season? It would seem so, reading a few of the posts on here.

It was standard pre-season stuff.

I honestly didn't see much difference between the game today compared to most of our pre-season games in the past few years.

In fact, the only pre-season game that I remember being vaguely excited about after watching recently, was our victory v's the soapdodgers when Thommo and Teale first signed.

I thought Agnew played really well today and will be a useful player for us. I like Rooney too.

Can't argue with most of what was said. Bradford looked fitter and stronger, the goal was sloppy but other than that thought we looked comfortable.

Baird and Kelly looked good

Not impressed with Conlan looked slow and clumsy although did put as shift in

Howison clearly has ability but looked disinterested. Probably thinks he's too good for St Mirren

Rooney looked good, I'd say give him a contract.

McMullan looked a player

Agnew had a good game

Carsewell a bit less so.

The young boys did look good when they came on.

Reilly other than missing a good chance did ok.

Up front Gow and Thompson both looked a bit isolated.

Can't argue with most of what was said. Bradford looked fitter and stronger, the goal was sloppy but other than that thought we looked comfortable.

Baird and Kelly looked good

Not impressed with Conlan looked slow and clumsy although did put as shift in

Howison clearly has ability but looked disinterested. Probably thinks he's too good for St Mirren

Rooney looked good, I'd say give him a contract.

McMullan looked a player

Agnew had a good game

Carsewell a bit less so.

The young boys did look good when they came on.

Reilly other than missing a good chance did ok.

Up front Gow and Thompson both looked a bit isolated.

How were the pies ?

Did you get any doon yir neck ?

Personally I thought Carswell was good but Mallan and Agnew were pretty ordinary.

I thought with 3 central midfielders Carswell was going to sit deep and

Agnew and Mallan were going to be getting forward. However, neither of them did to any good effect at all.

Was I wrong in thinking Agnew is an attacking midfielder? He certainly didn't look like it today. He looked more concerned with playing square balls to the full backs rather than getting himself forward.

Personally I thought Carswell was good but Mallan and Agnew were pretty ordinary.

I thought with 3 central midfielders Carswell was going to sit deep and

Agnew and Mallan were going to be getting forward. However, neither of them did to any good effect at all.

Was I wrong in thinking Agnew is an attacking midfielder? He certainly didn't look like it today. He looked more concerned with playing square balls to the full backs rather than getting himself forward.

Agree with this,

Not sure what I expected of Agnew but didn't really do much at all today, Mallan just had a poor game, we know what he can do. Thought Carswell looked tidy enough and was pretty steady.

Thought Conlon did ok, not sure how he has shown up in previous games but based on today there must be better out there.

Howieson had a few nice touches, involved in some nice moves but didn't offer much else,

Left back, centre half and a striker will be essential. Add another keeper and that will be us ready for first game of the season, with 1 or 2 later in the window possibly