Summer Football Debate

Interesting the news and views today on summer football. Currently it would appear there are three options, although other interesting ideas may be tabled in the future.

1. As we are currently.

2. Summer football starting around end February until November

3. Have a long winter break shut down in January & February, starting league football in July.

Very interested to here thoughts and views of our support.

I for one want things to stay as they are. In the summer I have many options that I do not have in the winter. I regularly visit the Hebrides, I kayak, I cycle, I use my motorbike and I take holidays - usually 1 week per month during May, June, July and August in my campervan. I visit friends and have barbecues (sometimes smile.png ). I do not do any of these things in the winter. For me winter is for football. I do not want to waste a beautiful day or weekend being tied up to 90 mins on a Saturday afternoon.

Everyone will have their own lifestyle but summer football is a big no from me.

Edit to add: But thanks for asking. It is rare for fans to be asked what they think about matters that are important to them smile.png

Edited by Sonny

I echo the comments above about taking the time to ask the fans about this. Much appreciated.

I would prefer option 2, but I know this won't have a hope in hell of going through as the Old Firm will have internationalists playing in Euro Championships etc.

Option 3 seems like the most realistic option that could suit all parties.

I for one want things to stay as they are. In the summer I have many options that I do not have in the winter. I regularly visit the Hebrides, I kayak, I cycle, I use my motorbike and I take holidays - usually 1 week per month during May, June, July and August in my campervan. I visit friends and have barbecues (sometimes smile.png ). I do not do any of these things in the winter. For me winter is for football. I do not want to waste a beautiful day or weekend being tied up to 90 mins on a Saturday afternoon.

Everyone will have their own lifestyle but summer football is a big no from me.

Edit to add: But thanks for asking. It is rare for fans to be asked what they think about matters that are important to them smile.png

Have to agree.

Going to the football during the winter months fills up a Saturday for me. During the summer months there are plenty of alternatives to football as the weather is relatively better.

I'd miss my forays down to Meikleriggs for a few pints whilst watching the cricket, amongst other things.

I also, go on holiday in July every year.

Attending home games might not be so wasteful, but away games would most likely bite the dust.

Option 2 with a summer break...... :P

Seriously a tough one to call. I'm not sure which would see more fans through the door.

So much to do in the summer months, would the football appeal more than the other outdoor activities?

I'd rather be doing than watching during the better weather and would probably end up playing golf or out with the family.

Winter football can be a nightmare, especially in the colder months. Although thinking back to last season this didn't stop me going to Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness when it was freezing.

Winter break? When would we have it?

Our winters are generally milder and wetter, this winter our cold spell didn't hit until late January into February. In fact, we've had more frosty mornings in March and April than we did November and December.

I'd probably opt to stay as we are with no winter break but this time have some sensible arrangement of fixtures.

Last season we played 7 league games in January but only 5 in March and April combined.

I'd like to see these games spread out more, schedule games for Cup quarter, semi final weekends and worry about the clash when and if it happens.

Or load more games into the Autumn months as last year we only played 7 league games in September, October and November combined, the same amount as in the 'winter break month' of January.

Edit to add - I'll pin this thread at the top for a while.

Edited by davidg

Summer football would kill the game totally. Crowds would fall even further as people have so many more options and holidays are rife.

If they stopped for a winter break then, when? Our worst weather could be anywhere from October to May. there is no good period for league football but the bad period is summer. Remember the international competitions are also at that juncture.

Unless FIFA decide Qatar are good for another few million of course

Would be option 2 then option 3 for me.

I'm intrigued to see what impact it would have on commercial/TV deals as we would have no other football completion during the summer months. Surely Sky/BT see subscriptions switch off as their is no football, could see them keep a more steady base?

I suppose it's similar to the A-League in Australia. Plays at different times in the year compared to Aussie Rules and the NRL and it's undoubtedly helped the game there.

I can see why people think this move would have an adverse effect on attendances, but that's purely hypothetical.

I happen to believe, after some adjustment, it could improve attendances and certainly not cause any dramatic drop.

The "holiday" reason would have far less of an impact these days as many people take holidays outwith the summer months.

Nothing is insurmountable and I'd love to see it given a 5 year trial.

It could always be returned to the situation as it is now.

I can see why people think this move would have an adverse effect on attendances, but that's purely hypothetical.

I happen to believe, after some adjustment, it could improve attendances and certainly not cause any dramatic drop.

The "holiday" reason would have far less of an impact these days as many people take holidays outwith the summer months.

Nothing is insurmountable and I'd love to see it given a 5 year trial.

It could always be returned to the situation as it is now.

Aye , you're more abroad than in Arbroff. bye1.gif

A few thoughts:

In years gone by, watching in the winter was helped by standing huddled together on a covered terrace whereas sitting on a plastic seat on a Wednesday night in January is like taking your tv and a seat outside to watch Coronation St in the garden - you just wouldn't do it.

Being more sensible in calling off games due to the weather forecast would help e.g. if the wind is forecast above a certain speed (remember Dundee Utd at home a few years ago when police were advising against unnecessary travel) or the temperature is below a certain level. Older fans and youngsters are less likely to turn up when the weather is poor. As others have stated above 7 games scheduled in January 2015 was laughable.

Playing through June and July offers up more chance of playing midweek games that might entice extra folk along, for instance tonight would have been ideal for a game. Missing a game or two due to holidays could be offset by those more inclined by turn up when not risking hypothermia.

Playing in the summer means better quality pitches, better conditions for the players when training so in theory at least better football to watch. If someone invented football today and decided to start a league wouldn't they schedule the games during the best weather?

Perhaps we should think about the South American model where they have a Summer Championship and Winter Championship? Imagine next season split into 2 with the first two sets of fixtures comprising one championship while the second set of 2 fixtures would start with everyone on 0 points and playing a second championship. There could then be play-offs at then to decide promotion, relegation, league titles etc. There's obviously loads of potential drawbacks but it's worth considering as something completely different.

Maybe the thing to keep in mind above all else is that if the quality of the football on the pitch is good enough people will turn up to watch regardless of the month. If Real Madrid played Barcelona at our ground in January, March, June, August or December the ground would be full regardless.

Summer is the time for weddings,christenings and holidays and is also the time for playing golf. I like things the way they are. I would suspect that crowds would drop if games were played during the summer. I know I would miss a few games and therefore be inclined to pay per game rather than renew my season ticket.

Summer is the time for weddings,christenings and holidays and is also the time for playing golf. I like things the way they are. I would suspect that crowds would drop if games were played during the summer. I know I would miss a few games and therefore be inclined to pay per game rather than renew my season ticket.

That's a "cultural" issue, a habit, if you will.

I believe that this would be overcome and the benefits, warmer weather etc, would see, in the long term, an increase in interest.

Also the younger element, the future of the club, would embrace this idea.

Again, just an opinion.

Option 2.

We need to give it a go. This debate crops up every year. Lets try it, if it doesn't work, then change it back. The quality of football isnt great at the moment and i think we should try anything to change it, surely watching a kick about on a summers day is better than dross on a freezing wet January. Least the sun would be shining.

Think of midweek games too, I would much rather take myself along to a game tonight, than a midweek game in the dead of winter... No brainer.