Summer Football Debate

Re this article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33130854

Where does Gilmour get his '40-45%' of Saints fans that want Summer Football from? Is it from the ten posters on the official site..?

Plus if you add his back of a fag packet percentages up it comes to 105%.... WTF?

I sense a private meeting followed by a public one, both of which seeing the board trying to foister their opinion on us all.

Summer football, no thanks. Certainly not Saturday 3pm kick offs. Maybe if we were to play matches as midweek 7.45 kick offs.

My preference would be to have more games played between July-October, and March-May. Let us have a winter break and minimal matches during November, December January.

match program -v- Dundee

We care about money

Shortly after Qatar was announced as the venue for the 2022 world cup, the suggestion that changing the date of the tournament from the traditional June / July dates, (at which time temperatures in the region were described as a ''highly critical risk'') it was met with a reaction from all the regional footballing confederations, particularly those who felt that to change it was unnecessary.

Due to the reaction from both for and against viewpoints, a FIFA taskforce was set up, led by FIFA vice president Shaikh Salman. In the year since it was set up Salman has travelled the globe to speak to individuals and organisations who would be affected by any change.

The individual confederations, leagues, clubs and broadcasters were all consulted on the prospect, basically all the important bodies in football.

So don't expect a visit from the FIFA taskforce anytime soon for a discussion with players or fans to get their view on the situation.

The task force is due to present its preferred option, and is expected to be rubber stamped by FIFA's ruling executive committee in March 2015

Game Off !

Its been discussed for years as a possible option to increase attendances and interest in Scottish Football but summer football will never be tried voluntarily in Scotland because only short term financial return is what motivates the powers within football, that or a change is forced upon those pulling the strings of our game.

If nothing else the possible change of the dates of the world cup in 2022 (backhanders pending) might force some form of summer football to be trialled in the UK for that season and maybe then we will know for sure whether it works or not, what do we have to lose by trying it ?

I wonder how many actually responded? If you are going to the media to quote stats where fans have expressed their choices they should be wholly representative, and add up!

There's been many National Polls taken over the last few years that had tens of thousands of respodants, with summer football being one of the questions. I think they came out even more in favour than 40-50 percent - Supporters Direct for one I think.

There's been many National Polls taken over the last few years that had tens of thousands of respodants, with summer football being one of the questions. I think they came out even more in favour than 40-50 percent - Supporters Direct for one I think.

That's not true at all.

In the first Supporters Direct poll (6,755 respondents) - the only published one to ask about the senior games football season

• 39% of respondents said they preferred the current season model from August to May.
  • 30% of respondents wanted a July to May season which incorporated a winter break
  • 28% of respondents stated a preference for a March to November season with a short summer break.
  • 3% of respondents are shown as "other"

In the 2014 one (3,067 respondents) the question was phrased under the heading "Perception of Grassroots" and the question was posed "Do you believe a change of season from March to November would benefit the recreational game". In this instance 60.94% said it would benefit the recreational game.

The results of the 2015 poll haven't been published yet although they are due on the 20th of June.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

That's a lot of words for absolutely no content whatsoever.

You are offering plenty of hot air. Free for under 14s? How revolutionary.

And WTF is "bring through talent" and how is it different to what currently happens?

You're full of hot air bud. Just another man frustrated at your inability to be seen as important.

I'm offering a trip back in time to when the game in Scotland was better value for money. Many of us on here were introduced to the game by parents who were allowed to lift us over turnstyles, then as we became adults some greedy f**kers running Scottish Football Clubs decided that it was time to charge parents to bring their kids to matches. The end result of this has been obvious with many clubs reporting shockingly low numbers of youths attending senior Scottish Football matches. To most people it would be obvious that this throttles the game over the longer term as those who are diehards actually start to die or they drift away from football or relocate too far away from the town, and they aren't replaced by kids who got the bug early - you are too thick to grasp that though.

As for "bringing through talent" it should be pretty obvious what St Mirren could do differently to what currently happens. Actually having a scout instead of hanging around the sewage pipes at Murray Park and Lennoxtown waiting to see what shite has been flushed out would clearly be an improvement :rolleyes:

That's a lot of words for absolutely no content whatsoever.

You're full of hot air bud. Just another man frustrated at your inability to be seen as important.

You're describing your own posts and yourself there again.

You're just a sad man who was unable to make it in the real world and hides away in academia sponging off the state.

I'm offering a trip back in time to when the game in Scotland was better value for money. Many of us on here were introduced to the game by parents who were allowed to lift us over turnstyles, then as we became adults some greedy f**kers running Scottish Football Clubs decided that it was time to charge parents to bring their kids to matches. The end result of this has been obvious with many clubs reporting shockingly low numbers of youths attending senior Scottish Football matches. To most people it would be obvious that this throttles the game over the longer term as those who are diehards actually start to die or they drift away from football or relocate too far away from the town, and they aren't replaced by kids who got the bug early - you are too thick to grasp that though.

I'm asking you for solutions. You're providing another description of the problem which everyone already knows about.

How do we fix this? You have no solutions to offer at all.

I'm asking you for solutions. You're providing another description of the problem which everyone already knows about.

FFS I've given you two. Free admission for Under 14s and proper scouting systems. That's not a description of the problem. It's two solutions to proven problem areas.

Want a third. Clubs working much more closely with Community Groups. Fourth, less cash grabbing by multi million pound business and all of that money being put into better facilities in every community and in every town.

Fans have repeatedly put solutions to the SFA, to Neil Doncaster and to club chairmen yet all those three groups do is continually ignore their customers opinions to push their own agenda.

The post you quoted has been addressed by Saint Mirren. Every season ticket holder has the right to virtually "lift their kid over the turnstyle" by way of a free childs ST.

The post you quoted has been addressed by Saint Mirren. Every season ticket holder has the right to virtually "lift their kid over the turnstyle" by way of a free childs ST.

Up to a point John. What you want is groups of kids coming along together, peer pressure will get them all to return (or not) and soon they will have the bug and will eventually pay.

All the exit doors in all the stands have a steward standing there doing nothing. I would have these doors open and if a kid looks under say... 14, let them in for free... future customers...

Which begs the question of why Stuart is claming we should be doing this.

We're already doing it and it's made little or no difference.

That was my point.

Stuart is full of hot air with no good suggestions that haven't already been tried. He's finding that when push comes to shove it's easier to criticise others than to come up with your own ideas.

Edited by oaksoft

Hardly.

Look, I don't know your St Mirren story but mine was that I was first taken to a St Mirren v Partick Thistle match by my Queens Park supporting Grandfather who had agreed to take me just after I discovered that St Mirren were from Paisley - a town that was on my birth certificate that at that stage in my life I had no recollection of ever seeing. Now I know for a fact that had we got to Love Street that afternoon for him to be told that he was to pay what would probably have been the equivalent of three or four days wages and to commit to 19 home St Mirren matches just so he could lift me over the turnstyle we'd have turned around and gone back home and St Mirren would have missed out on their share of what I reckon must have been over £70,000 in todays terms that I have spent over the years on football.

And therein is the problem with St Mirren's current scheme. To benefit from it you already have to be invested in supporting the club. You need to be an adult who is happy to commit to a large financial outlay at the start of the season committing you to 19 home matches in the season. In effect St Mirren are targeting their dyed in the wool supporter and offering them a free ticket to take their child to matches - something that they would most likely have paid to do anyway just as I did when my eldest son first started going to football matches. It does nothing at all to address how you attract first time supporters into matches and it does nothing to encourage the support of the kind of children who might be attending summer school coaching courses but whose parents are not regulars at St Mirren home matches.

When I first started going to Love Street as a child I remember the large number of kids my age who surrounded the pitch sitting on the little bench attached to the wall down the front of the terrace. These days when I occasionally visit I could probably count on two hands the number of Under 14's sitting in the Main Stand.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

St Mirren would have missed out on their share of what I reckon must have been over £70,000 in todays terms that I have spent over the years on football.

In order for your to have spent £70k on football in today's terms you'd have had to have bought around 250 years worth of £280 season tickets.

f**k me, you're older than I thought.