Empire Exhibition . .1938

SPW056847.jpg

These are the buildings in Bellahouston Park in 1938 for the Empire Exhibition . You can see a stadium just across the road from the exhibition (at the top to the left) , does anyone know what that was. .the ipox stadium is a bit further away. .

The big building at the right of the exhibition is now at Prestwick Airport. .

Apart from Ibrox there are two other stadia in there, snlt. I'm guessing you mean the most obvious one which is White City. The fainter, less easily discerned one between those two is the Albion Greyhound Stadium. According to this, anyway....

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Glasgow%20White%20City.htm

:)

Edited by salmonbuddie

Aye.

It's the Dugs Stadium.

The SMT Paisley-Glasgow buses used to pass it, heading along Paisley Road West to end/start at Clyde Street.

(Dunno if buses still take that route? I believe Clyde Street no longer features as a bur terminus.)

Aye.

It's the Dugs Stadium.

The SMT Paisley-Glasgow buses used to pass it, heading along Paisley Road West to end/start at Clyde Street.

(Dunno if buses still take that route? I believe Clyde Street no longer features as a bur terminus.)

Where do burs go to die now then, I am worried for them.

Apart from Ibrox there are two other stadia in there, snlt. I'm guessing you mean the most obvious one which is White City. The fainter, less easily discerned one between those two is the Albion Greyhound Stadium. According to this, anyway....

smile.png

The arrival of the motorway totally change the landscape around there . I do remember old people talking about White City but I thought it was in Landahn. .

Aye.

It's the Dugs Stadium.

I can recall getting off buses at Clyde St , so perhaps I saw White City but didn't know it as that. Those buses could be quite lively , of a Saturday afternoon. .smile.png

post-4944-0-21573700-1434105028_thumb.jp

This is the White City Sports Stadium, which was situated opposite Bellahouston Park on Paisley Road West. Speedway made its debut there in June 1928 and continued until 1931 before closing halfway through that season. The track reopened on Saturday 6th May 1939 with 15,000 watching the Glasgow Lions taking on Newcastle in a challenge match. The season was curtailed by the outbreak of war and it was not until 1946 when, because of the Wembley Lions, the Glasgow team name was changed to the Glasgow Tigers. The post-war boom did not last forever and after the 1953 season the Glasgow promotion had to sell their top riders with the inevitable result. Speedway racing returned to White City in 1964 until the last ever fixture, the Glasgow Open Championship, at the end of September 1968. The spiritual home of the Glasgow Tigers was demolished a few years later during construction of the M8 motorway and is now the site of a police headquarters. This unique 1960's snapshot was taken by Norman Crawford.

Someone beat you to it, pod