Ian Murray Interview

They are home by 2pm most weekdays so have plenty of time then to spend with their families. I'm sure many of them pick their kids up from school.

Plenty of ordinary punters work Sundays. Many work marathon shifts into the bargain for shite money, so I wouldn't be shedding any tears for a few pampered fitba players.

Murray is setting out his vision. Good on him. We need levels of commitment that were sorely lacking last year, so this is a good place to start.

Couldn't agree more..

It's all very well saying he sounds good or doesn't sound good in interviews, it's largely irrelevant. As with all managers, Murray will be judged by the teams performances on the park.

If on Christmas Day we are in the bottom half of the league there will be a large section of our fans on here and elsewhere campaigning for him to be sacked. On the other hand, if we are in the top 2 he will be hailed as the best thing since sliced bread.

Either of those will happen regardless of how well or otherwise he comes across in interviews.

I agree to an extent, however talking a good game can't do him any harm. It might buy him a bit more time if things hit a sticky patch, rather than the Tommy Craig approach of going out of your way to piss off the fans as he seemed to be doing towards the end.

Time will tell on the Sunday training, however I can't help but feel if training Sunday instead of a Monday made a real difference then everyone would have been doing it for years. Same with the trend of the last few years to take a corner with the slightest hint of the ball hanging over the very edge of the quarter-circle. Does it really matter?

If we do well no doubt folk will say it's down to Sunday training and if we have a nightmare it'll be down to that too. Perhaps we could have a game of new manager bingo? I can't wait for all the posts talking about how much fitter the players look under the new regime after the first few games.

Think folk are reading too much into the reasons for the shift too.

What if he likes sitting in the dugout and not standing on the touch-line during games?

Standing on the touchline shouting for 90 minutes is the most important skill any football manager can possess. Apparently that was Danny's problem and the only reason results began to turn at the split was because he decided to get out the dug out.

Hmmmm, seems to be aimed at bringing the snr players down a peg or two. Dunno when Sportscene gets filmed, but if it still goes out on a Sunday night, then I assume it'll get recorded on Sunday afternoon. Dunno how our media darling and drop dead handsome talisman will combine training and the TV stuff. Could it be intentionally confrontational to get, I assume, the biggest wage off the books? Dunno.

But it's not an additional session, it is moving the Monday session to Sunday

Loads of opportunities exist to misbehave on a Sunday night

Changes should only be made if there is a purpose OTHER than to show who is the boss

Presumably the idea of Sunday training is to go over the previous day's game asap after the event.

Hmmmm, seems to be aimed at bringing the snr players down a peg or two. Dunno when Sportscene gets filmed, but if it still goes out on a Sunday night, then I assume it'll get recorded on Sunday afternoon. Dunno how our media darling and drop dead handsome talisman will combine training and the TV stuff. Could it be intentionally confrontational to get, I assume, the biggest wage off the books? Dunno.

Is he not out of Contract anyway ???

Also Thommo has said money is not a big issue in signing up for another spell with Saints as he has "Unfinished Business" with Saints.

Sunday training makes perfect sense from a sports science perspective, any runner knows that. Those saying that it's wrong from a family perspective don't have a case either; first of all, as things stand there are always a few games on a Sunday, so should is that unreasonable? Secondly, under the current broadcasting deal there are some games on Friday / Monday, and on those occasions there wouldn't be Sunday training as it wouldn't make sense. Thirdly, it's a minority of players in our squad who have children and / or spouses. Fourthly, not all of the spouses of our players work, so other days off are just fine. Fifthly, children only go to school when 4 or 5 years old, so even if any of our current players went on to have a family almost immediately, their contract would run out well before the training regime might have any implication on their family life.

And then the most important points - we NEED fresh ideas, that much is evident from last season, so I cannot comprehend any supporter moaning about an idea that potentially could change the culture at the club, and from another perspective has scientific merit.

He says in the same interview that he wants Thompson to stay, but if he is indicating in further that comments it shouldn't be at any cost (ie - undermining the fresh approach to leading the team) then he is quite right.

To be honest, I think you might be making 5 from 2 + 2. Either way, he 's entitled to set things out his way, and I would assume that is what he was recruited to do.

Edited by Drew

Its live on a Sunday night

Seems to me that full time professional footballers' careers are generally over around about the age of 35. Plenty of time then to have a bevvy on a Saturday night without worrying from the ages of 35 - deathbed. As others have said, a full time professional footballers working life is already somewhat irregular - games themselves are almost never solely at 3pm on a Saturday anyway these days. There are early kick offs, Friday games, Monday games, Sunday games, midweek games, cup games... and players at a club like St Mirren must also have had to factor in being away from family for travel and accomodation to places like Dingwall, Inverness and Aberdeen over many recent seasons. Christmas and New Year is always a mixed up time for them too in regard to plying their trade and not having a sherbert and being away from family. At the top end of the game - even for players at a club like Celtic, there are pre-season tours to North America, much European travel during the season, and a whole lot of time in airports and hotels - and I haven't even mentioned International football demands.

Given all this - how on earth is a Sunday session really fcuking up their 'routine'? Murray has ideas, and one of them involves Sunday sessions and Mondays off - St Mirren will hardly be the only club in the world implementing such a system.

If I were a full time professional footballer at St Mirren FC, I would not be worrying about a wee Sunday session messing up family life - I'd be worrying about what I was going to do from the age of 35 - death to keep myself in gainful employment and ensure a long and happy family life after my playing days were done. With all due respect, our players are generally not going to have the type of playing career that sets them up for life. Coming in on a Sunday is the least of their worries, or at least should be.

The concern I have is how accurate that interview is in representing Murray's apparent 'my way or the highway' attitude. Given that I don't believe a fcuking word I read in the papers, I will reserve judgement on that one.

The concern I have is how accurate that interview is in representing Murray's apparent 'my way or the highway' attitude. Given that I don't believe a fcuking word I read in the papers, I will reserve judgement on that one.

I'm sure there is an element of spin in the way the paper is reporting it but Murray's quotes are quite clearcut. Unless he has been misquoted its quite obvious what he means.

Sunday training makes perfect sense from a sports science perspective, any runner knows that. Those saying that it's wrong from a family perspective don't have a case either; first of all, as things stand there are always a few games on a Sunday, so should is that unreasonable? Secondly, under the current broadcasting deal there are some games on Friday / Monday, and on those occasions there wouldn't be Sunday training as it wouldn't make sense. Thirdly, it's a minority of players in our squad who have children and / or spouses. Fourthly, not all of the spouses of our players work, so other days off are just fine. Fifthly, children only go to school when 4 or 5 years old, so even if any of our current players went on to have a family almost immediately, their contract would run out well before the training regime might have any implication on their family life.

And then the most important points - we NEED fresh ideas, that much is evident from last season, so I cannot comprehend any supporter moaning about an idea that potentially could change the culture at the club, and from another perspective has scientific merit.

This post is far too sensible for this thread, please delete it immediately. I think you'll find the real reason is that Murray is an atheist and wants the players to buy into his beliefs (or lack of them) by making them training on Sunday morning, this ensuring they can't go to church. Genius.

I really wish there was one of these for new managers. http://thesunshineroom.com/2014/08/06/bullshit-rodeo-2/