The Blue Puke V St Mirren - 7/8/15

TopCat

Not as bad as it could have been. Not very encouraging, however.

Definitely a few positives. Baird, Ridgers, Naismith, and McMullen were our best players. Most concerning area of the squad has to be in the forward areas.

We grew into the game, but threw it away by giving them too much respect early on then that horror penalty miss.

Thought this new club were far better than that actually. Maybe the mistake I made was overestimating Hibs , because I seen the game between them and yeah... 6-2. Therefore I assumed the newest team in Scotland must be really good, but yeah, they aren't.

Didn't think we had a chance of the title before this evening. Now... I'm not sure.

Didn't think we played at our best, but goodness me we should have got something tonight. Penalties are shanked over the bar at all levels of football, be it the World Cup Final or the Scottish Junior Super League. Thommo had one tonight, no reason to castigate or scapegoat him for that but it's very frustrating. He won't take a penalty again in his career.

That goes in I think we would have at least have drawn the game but it wasn't to be.

Never expected anything tonight, our season starts at home to Dumbarton next week. That's a game we need to win. Promising signs were the performance of Baird and Kelly at centre back, thought they played well. McMullan is a baller too, he's a head down and run at them dynamo who will get us plenty more assists and goals this season.

Enjoyed the game, looking forward to the season.

Cheesy who?

A lot of positives there, very encouraging indeed. Solid at the back, positive through the middle and just needing a bit of quality up top. Baird and Carswell will have us forgetting about Cheesy and Jim very soon. Looking at the teams we're up against, I wouldn't say we'll need that long ball to Thommo much so maybe he'll get to concentrate on holding the ball up as Murray's Mints play around him.

Shame for Ridgers. He made some great saves tonight. Unlucky with that third goal, he never deserved that.

Thommo's penalty miss killed us, absolutely killed us. Positives? Lots! Anyone giving up the ghost after that tonight? Not me...

The left side of our defence though... Sends shivers of fear down my spine. Still, I feel upbeat. A shocking start but we settled and we were right in that game, absolutely right in it. Murray's substitutions were positive.

Season only one game old - away to Sevco. Keep the faith.

Feared the worst after five minutes, ended it feeling a bit disappointed we didn't get anything. Never been that convinced by Thommo at penalties and he was having a poor game tonight. Doubt he'll take them again!

Our set pieces remain atrocious, need more work. So too does our left side, everything was going down there in the first half. Howieson looks a talent but is not a winger. A natural wide player might give Conlan some more protection.

Watching McMullan could be fun this season and Baird was pretty good. Great to see him clatter Wallace!

Hard game out the way, season starts next week for me.

Not good enough.

Same problems as always, not getting fixed.

The lack of ambition round here is reminding me of the "5 year plan" era of Jimmy Bone.

Lack of ambition? For not wanting to slash our wrists and start supporting Man Utd or Barcelona after one game where we missed a pen to make it 2-2 with a ton of kids, new signings and a new management's first competitive league game as Saints bosses... and it was the toughest task to be handed as an opener?

Aye, well... opinions, opinions.

Lots of positives to take from tonight. Ridgers had one of his best games for us and Baird and Naismith were outstanding. We were far better in the second half and who knows if Thommo had scored the penalty I feel we could have sneaked a draw. However, Blue Puke looked a fine side going forward and look like they will walk the league. They are weak at the back though and we had opportunities to really exploit this. Need to work on finishing and set pieces though. McMullan looks a real handful. Howieson- great goal but did not see a lot of him in the rest of the game (on the telly anyway).

Don't think Thommo can play the lone strike- certainly not against Rangers and Hibs anyway- woeful night for the big man even before that horror penalty.

A team in progress, but have to agree that we need to learn quickly not to stand off teams as it really sot us in the first half hour. Going in the right direction though roll on Dumbarton next week.

Was expecting worse, especially after their second goal went in, but have to give the players credit after that, Have to remember that was the most difficult fixture of the season, and we were in it until 5 mins from the end. Indeed, if someone else had taken the penalty, and we had got the bye kick instead of the corner for their first...... anyway, lots of positives for me. Especially McMullan and Baird.

Second half was decent from us. First half we sat too far off them and let them do what they wanted. Left side is horrendous. Really disappointed in Agnew - thought he was very poor for a playmaker.

However keeper and 3 out of 4 defenders were excellent. McMullan came on to a game after being anonymous in the first half.

Edit to Add: I reckon our poor start to the game was down to nerves. Too many young boys out there but they grew into the game. Good signs for the campaign ahead and glad to get this one out of the way.

Edited by Sonny