The Blue Puke V St Mirren - 7/8/15

TopCat

I didn't feel cheated tonight. To be fair, at normal speed without TV, the corner incident was a tough call for the linesman, I don't think there was any funny business tonight in that regard.

Agree entirely. I was referring to the post-match analysis. In saying that, it wasn't as unbalanced as I suspected it might be.

I thought the officiating of the match was fine. Nothing too controversial. A couple of calls didn't go for us, but I imagine that could perhaps be said of our opponents, too.

Agree entirely. I was referring to the post-match analysis. In saying that, it wasn't as unbalanced as I suspected it might be.

I thought the officiating of the match was fine. Nothing too controversial. A couple of calls didn't go for us, but I imagine that could perhaps be said of our opponents, too.

Aye. Nothing dodgy IMHO. Frustrating night all round though... They were there for the taking too.

I didn't feel cheated tonight. To be fair, at normal speed without TV, the corner incident was a tough call for the linesman, I don't think there was any funny business tonight in that regard.

no it wasn't was right in line with the linesman a view clearly took a nick of the rangers player

I go to every game home and away. And I can honestly say that the worst fans are rangers. I don't feel as bad going to the tatie bowl but Ibrox in particular is disgusting the level of sectarianism is off the scale and far outweighs what goes on at Celtic

I hate them both but is it

Just me or do folk think sane that Ibrox is worst

Not good enough.

Same problems as always, not getting fixed.

The lack of ambition round here is reminding me of the "5 year plan" era of Jimmy Bone.

Nothing to do with ambition but more to do with money. Rankers are no great shakes but have better players in key positions. Our club are ambitious but need the tools to attain that ambition - namely resources to fill a number of key positions with better players. You need to give Murray time to finish a job he has just started.

Oh well........

Indeed.

So many things could be said about that game good and bad.

Being positive to start with like for many of you above the most impressive aspect for me was the willingness to dig in and keep going. In too many games last year that fight was missing, tonight it was plain to see. I accept the standing off criticism but would suggest this was either an instruction not to chase the ball in their half early in the game or stage fright. Either way it was certainly not for lack of effort.

Negatives:

I think we gave them too much respect to start off with, but this did change as we grew into the match.

I agree the left side needs strengthened however I disagree with the character assassinations of both Howieson and Conlan. As previously mentioned Howieson doesn't appear to be a wide player and as a result tends to play relatively narrow or doesn't offer the the same protection to Conlan as a natural left sided player would. He also took his goal very well. Conlan had a tough time like in the Bradford game but never gave up. He was up against their best player for me and after the first 20 mins barring the long ball he misjudged he came on to a far better game. Answer move Howieson in one and play Morgan.

The penalty, but wasn't it well won?

Out-with that I am struggling. I can understand where the criticism of Thommo is coming from but how often did anyone get near him to support in the first half? Second half he linked play relatively well and was our only central aerial threat.

Perhaps the ease with which Wallace ran through for the second would be the other negative, but it was a good ball through...only Baird though tracked therefore who should have been marking him?

As for the positives:

The fight.

The goal.

The goal keeping performance after what I thought was a shaky game against Bradford.

The central half pairing. For all Baird had a great and committed game just as IM eluded to I also thought Sean Kelly had a very good game.

Naismith look the fittest man on the park and for all my comment about the lack of support for Conlan on the other side, he effectively gave McMullan licence to not track back most of the second half.

Midfield 5. Quiet games for Howieson (although a fantastic goal), Agnew and Mallan, but I though both Carswell and McMullen had very good games. Carswell instructing Mallan how to tackle in the middle of the second half was fantastic to see. McMullan's running - which should be the only thought in his head when he gets the ball - was fantastic.

Thommo as above not his best by a long way but had a thankless task on his own, particularly in this game given the circumstances. I don't think he's done at all, he just needs to be used appropriately and not asked to do everything...

The pace going forward that we now seem to have in McMullan, Morgan and Gallagher.

Morgan looked good as did Gallagher - although the first run as lone striker is always to the front post!

Even Gow looked much better than last season albeit he only had a short spell to show it.

All that with a very young side at the most intimidating venue, against a side who are supposedly going to romp the league.

I know I am a happy clapper yet although Rangers were always at least slightly in the ascendancy we weren't far behind them in a game we didn't play at our best. Who knows what could have happened if that ball had hit the top corner of the net and not the top corner of the stand...

ETA: corrections to a few typos and to say I'm not worried in the slightest for when they come to our patch. I think we could give them a good going over especially pressing from the front with a positive home crowd behind us.

Edited by Bart Simpson

Just back, a long day but enjoyable overall.

The game: Overrun in the opening 20+ minutes, Rangers have some pretty decent players, pacey and the guy Tavernier looks a decent prospect, although very right footed. As much as they had possession not overly threatening then a boot in the nads with a massive bit of luck when a corner fell straight to Wallace, another decent player. Scarey next few minutes, the 2nd goal was a decent move and good finish. We seemed to settle after that and scored a great goal, superb weighted pass from McMullen and calmly slotted by Howieson. Back in it? Yes we were.

2nd half we were steady then the moment that lost us, in my opinion, a point, at least. Great run, penalty and then Thompson, who was having a nightmare, took a stunningly shit attempt at a penalty. A player who was played in a difficult position and he made is look even harder by looking like a shit past it player. (more to follow on this I see) he could hardly stay on his feet, failed to pass to a teammate when it was harder not to, and looked a shadow of the player from a few years ago. Having a nightmare was a nice way of commenting on his contribution. Possibly better games for him but I doubt it.

They took heart from this and started to create openings but another bit of serious bad luck when they scored the 3rd. Superb stop by Ridgers and cannoned of half wit Shiels.

A great atmosphere, sure they have a lunatic element, so do we, just not as many. The bile that's spouted from their support is something to behold, but we have some serious warmers who seem oblivious we have young kids in our midst, but hey ho, that football supporters for you. (Funny how our support rarely mention this?)

We have a more than decent building blocks of a team. Our team looked like 3/4 were under 21 and coped reasonably well with the situation.

As I stated before the game I never expected a pumping here as both teams are rebuilding and we have some good prospects, Baird was rightly hailed by our manager during the week at the Q&A.

Now, what's next?

I thought we were overwhelmed at the start. However we have some fantastic young players coming through. We are on the right direction of this I am as certain as I can be. We will come back stronger and have a more sustainable future than before, we are looking at the long term not the short term.

I was heartened by the performance especially after the poor start.

Just back, a long day but enjoyable overall.

The game: Overrun in the opening 20+ minutes, Rangers have some pretty decent players, pacey and the guy Tavernier looks a decent prospect, although very right footed. As much as they had possession not overly threatening then a boot in the nads with a massive bit of luck when a corner fell straight to Wallace, another decent player. Scarey next few minutes, the 2nd goal was a decent move and good finish. We seemed to settle after that and scored a great goal, superb weighted pass from McMullen and calmly slotted by Howieson. Back in it? Yes we were.

2nd half we were steady then the moment that lost us, in my opinion, a point, at least. Great run, penalty and then Thompson, who was having a nightmare, took a stunningly shit attempt at a penalty. A player who was played in a difficult position and he made is look even harder by looking like a shit past it player. (more to follow on this I see) he could hardly stay on his feet, failed to pass to a teammate when it was harder not to, and looked a shadow of the player from a few years ago. Having a nightmare was a nice way of commenting on his contribution. Possibly better games for him but I doubt it.

They took heart from this and started to create openings but another bit of serious bad luck when they scored the 3rd. Superb stop by Ridgers and cannoned of half wit Shiels.

A great atmosphere, sure they have a lunatic element, so do we, just not as many. The bile that's spouted from their support is something to behold, but we have some serious warmers who seem oblivious we have young kids in our midst, but hey ho, that football supporters for you. (Funny how our support rarely mention this?)

We have a more than decent building blocks of a team. Our team looked like 3/4 were under 21 and coped reasonably well with the situation.

As I stated before the game I never expected a pumping here as both teams are rebuilding and we have some good prospects, Baird was rightly hailed by our manager during the week at the Q&A.

Now, what's next?

Leave Sir Thommo alone.

We done ourselves proud and the people that replaced Sir Thommo didn't exactly set the heather alight.

Edited by Kendo

Indeed.

So many things could be said about that game good and bad.

Being positive to start with like for many of you above the most impressive aspect for me was the willingness to dig in and keep going. In too many games last year that fight was missing, tonight it was plain to see. I accept the standing off criticism but would suggest this was either an instruction not to chase the ball in their half early in the game or stage fright. Either way it was certainly not for lack of effort.

Negatives:

I think we gave them too much respect to start off with, but this did change as we grew into the match.

I agree the left side needs strengthened however I disagree with the character assassinations of both Howieson and Conlon. As previously mentioned Howieson doesn't appear to be a wide player and as a result tends to play relatively narrow or doesn't off the the same protection to Conlon as a natural left sided player would. He also took his goal very well. Conlon had a tough time like in the Bradford game but never gave up. He was up against their best player for me and after the first 20 mins barring the long ball he misjudged he came on to a far better game. Answer move Howieson in one and play Morgan.

The penalty, but wasn't it well won?

Out-with that I am struggling. I can understand where the criticism of Thommo is coming from but how often did anyone get near him to support in the first half? Second half he linked play relatively well and was our only central aerial threat.

Perhaps the ease with which Wallace ran through for the second would be the other negative, but it was a good ball through...only Baird though tracked therefore who should have been marking him?

As for the positives:

The fight.

The goal.

The goal keeping performance after what I thought was a shaky game against Bradford.

The central half pairing. For all Baird had a great and committed game just as IM eluded to I also thought Sean Kelly had a very good game.

Naismith look the fittest man on the park and for all my comment about the lack of support for Conlon on the other side, he effectively gave McMullan licence to not track back most of the second half.

Midfield 5. Quiet games for Howieson (although a fantastic goal), Agnew and Mallan, but I though both Carswell and McMullen had very good games. Carswell instructing Mallan how to tackle in the middle of the second half was fantastic to see. McMullan's running - which should be the only thought in his head when he gets the ball - was fantastic.

Thommo as above not his best by a long way but had a thankless task on his own, particularly in this game given the circumstances. I don't think he's done at all, he just needs to be used appropriately and not asked to do everything...

The pace going forward that we now seem to have in McMullan, Morgan and Gallagher.

Morgan looked good as did Gallagher - although the first run as lone striker is always to the front post!

Even Gow looked much better than last season albeit he only had a short spell to show it.

All that with a very young side at the most intimidating venue, against a side who are supposedly going to romp the league.

I know I am a happy clapper yet although Rangers were always at least slightly in the ascendancy we weren't far behind them in a game we didn't play at our best. Who knows what could have happened if that had ball had hit the top corner of the net and not the stand...

spot on buddy glad im not the only one who seen things this way

the fight is back and i for 1 are in no way biased

wee looked better than we have for as long as i can remember

on wards and upwards

Funny. Reading the stats and the reports and we were slaughtered apparently. Didn't feel like like that, and had thommo put that penalty away, well, who knows. Howieson was blowing oot his ass. Think the pace shocked him. Some good interchange play and some poor. Having watched a couple of games now, our defence looks poor. Is Goodwin injured? Felt experience might have settled our defence that first 25 minutes. It was like the Alamo before we realised they aren't any great shakes and could compete.

Defence is slow and whilst I was screaming to defend higher up the pitch, I can see why we don't and won't. We'll get caught for pace at the back.

Thommo looks like he's going to struggle this season. He's another yard short of pace and that makes him about 5 yards short imo. Gutted for him though. He won't have liked the **** chanting 'he's still one of our own'..

Barry Lavety was in the crowd!!! Get yer boots on big man!!! Think defence is going to have to improve massively if we are to have a chance of going up.

don't think tonight will be our season defining game ,altho at the end I thought maybe we were playing in a champions league final as they were celebrating as if they had won one, on the game as always seems to be the case slow start, punished through the middle ,but lots of fight and some outstanding saves and last ditch tackles,but hopefully in the coming weeks we will learn from mistakes and get a bit tighter and will maybe have a bit more time to play football,,,also think if we keep giving the ball to McMullan to run at defences we could be getting a few penaltys ,very positive

Thought we were onto a hiding after the first 5 mins. Rabbit in the headlights type stuff from our players, but overall I think they did us proud.

It was always going to be hard game and with the new Rangers era, their fans were up for it tonight and very vocal.

I think we seen enough tonight in spells to see that we have something there and will do ok this year. Hopefully more attacking options arrive soon cause we look shy up top.

Oh and what a vile bunch of bastards The Rangers fans are.... Some of them are complete scum.

Edited by Stevie88

Ah the best players in the world miss penalties. Such is life.

We're the better team second half. Still very much in this.

The best players do miss penalties, that doesn't hide the fact he was brutal all game and most of us seen that miss coming a mile off( I didn't celebrate the penalty in the pub as I had a gut feeling he'd miss it)

Bit pissed, short analysis. First half poor, stood off, great goal. 2nd half better. Could have lost more goals, could have scored more goals. Penalty shocking. Need to beef up. plenty potential

Edited by BIG BEN

More positives than negatives, going forward with pace and guys like mcmullan will cause teams lots of problems.

Thought defensively we were decent after the first 25, second goal was criminal, just not matching the run then keeper beaten at near post. Our goal was superb.

Just knew Thommo was going to miss, he's miss hit a couple of pens and he wasn't having his best game. He's certainly not finished at this level it was just a bad night at the office.

Our season starts next week do 3 points and we are off and running