Barry

MID

Callaghan,

Allan (sponsor)

SPR

Fulton,

Jack (sponsor)

SPR

4 Defenders, 7 Midfield, 3 Forwards. Still far too light.

Thought Reilly was out of contract? Has he been resigned?

Reilly was decent in defensive midfield last season, but has done nothing to show he can play up front (bar a goal against Motherwell nearly 3 years ago).

If he's reasonably cheap, I'd be ok with a 1 year deal.

ETA: He is still only 20 too, which still seems a bit young to write him off.

Edited by JM1

Reilly was decent in defensive midfield last season, but has done nothing to show he can play up front (bar a goal against Motherwell nearly 3 years ago).

I think Reilly could be a tidy midfielder. He doesn't waste possession but he needs confidence and has to take some responsibility and make some plays. I would keep him for a season and see how he performs at this level.

I'm not writing the lad off, but I don't see his future at St Mirren. Let's be honest, I imagine most would hope that he would be a bit part player if kept on. In which case, it would be better for all parties if he tries to get a gig elsewhere to genuinely kick start his career. He should have been loaned out while we were in the premier. I reckon he is stuck in an all too comfortable rut.

I think Reilly could be a tidy midfielder. He doesn't waste possession but he needs confidence and has to take some responsibility and make some plays. I would keep him for a season and see how he performs at this level.

As Drew says, he should have been loaned out last season. New scene, new eyes on him, spell away from those so expectant of nothing from him.

Mallan is 19 with nearly 1 year SPL experience. Kelly is 22 with 2 years experience and Naismith 21 with 2 years. Reilly is 21 in 2 months with a handful of games. He has been around the first team squad for 3 years and been unable to hold down a place unlike these other young guys who got a chance and took it (not even includied McGinn in the above list). I just do not think Reilly is good enough. Best for all if he moves on.

Mallan is 19 with nearly 1 year SPL experience. Kelly is 22 with 2 years experience and Naismith 21 with 2 years. Reilly is 21 in 2 months with a handful of games. He has been around the first team squad for 3 years and been unable to hold down a place unlike these other young guys who got a chance and took it (not even includied McGinn in the above list). I just do not think Reilly is good enough. Best for all if he moves on.

You mention Kelly is 22 with 2 years 'SPL' experience... Yet Kelly never established himself in the first team till he was 20 - the same age as Reilly is now.

Thomas broke through very early so it seems he's been around forever, but the truth is he's still very young.

Murray obviously didn't know much about him, he gave him a clean slate and a trail. He must have seen something in him as he's not told him he's not getting a deal yet, unlike several other trialists.

Whether he gets a deal or not will depend on how he does over the next few weeks, not what's gone before, and I'm sure everyone will agree that's fair enough.

Over the last few years I have watched quite a few young guys come into the squad and make a real impression and hold down place on merit. A couple I thought seemed decent will need to bulk up for first team football. For me Thomas has never impressed and has never convinced me he would be a good addition to the squad. But its Murray that decides and not me. We just signed Stuart Carswell who is 21 with 88 SPFL games under his belt. If I had cash to sign only one more player if would be someone like Carswell and not Reilly. Just my opinion.

Over the last few years I have watched quite a few young guys come into the squad and make a real impression and hold down place on merit. A couple I thought seemed decent will need to bulk up for first team football. For me Thomas has never impressed and has never convinced me he would be a good addition to the squad. But its Murray that decides and not me. We just signed Stuart Carswell who is 21 with 88 SPFL games under his belt. If I had cash to sign only one more player if would be someone like Carswell and not Reilly. Just my opinion.

carswell is 21 with 88 games under his belt and was released,you don't tend to get released if you are any good

carswell is 21 with 88 games under his belt and was released,you don't tend to get released if you are any good

Over 100 games in all competitions. He fell out with Baraclough , he'll be a good signing , no mistake !

You mention Kelly is 22 with 2 years 'SPL' experience... Yet Kelly never established himself in the first team till he was 20 - the same age as Reilly is now.

Thomas broke through very early so it seems he's been around forever, but the truth is he's still very young.

Murray obviously didn't know much about him, he gave him a clean slate and a trail. He must have seen something in him as he's not told him he's not getting a deal yet, unlike several other trialists.

Whether he gets a deal or not will depend on how he does over the next few weeks, not what's gone before, and I'm sure everyone will agree that's fair enough.

I may possibly fall into a minority here and think Thomas is not a bad player. Watched him closely when he played in midfield and very rarely gives the ball away does the simple thing and lets the more creative players play. Since his ankle injury he has been pushed back into midfield and I think that because he has been about the first team squad for 3-4 years he hasn't had the chance to establish himself in any one position that he may have done if he was playing regularly in one position for the U20's. He reminds me of Paul Lambert doing the donkey work whilst the more creative players get all the plaudits but every team needs a grafter doing the dirty work.

If he got another year it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Reilly was an absolute stand out for the under 20s and clearly has loads of ability. He had a bad injury and really only came back into the team last season. He had some stinkers admittedly bt was hardly worse than anyone else and did show in patches what he could do. He nneds to get his confidance back and show us what he's got Potentually he could be as good as McGinn, Mclean or Mallen.

One thing I will say for him is that even when having a stinker he never hid and went out and kept trying to make it work (maybe too hard!). I'm glad he's been given a go and hope he can kick on and do the business in a Saint's shirt

Reilly was an absolute stand out for the under 20s and clearly has loads of ability. He had a bad injury and really only came back into the team last season. He had some stinkers admittedly bt was hardly worse than anyone else and did show in patches what he could do. He nneds to get his confidance back and show us what he's got Potentually he could be as good as McGinn, Mclean or Mallen.

One thing I will say for him is that even when having a stinker he never hid and went out and kept trying to make it work (maybe too hard!). I'm glad he's been given a go and hope he can kick on and do the business in a Saint's shirt

Earlier into his career in the first team, he was indentified as a striker. This is an area we rarely give our youths a chance at, especially with challenging at the wrong end of the table.

Once he came back from injury he was shifted about from position to position and was never given a real run in the team. When there were players like McGinn, Mallan and McLean in the centre of midfield, you could see why he found it difficult to cement a first team spot.

I believe if he doesn't get a new contract a rival championship team will pick him up.

Over 100 games in all competitions. He fell out with Baraclough , he'll be a good signing , no mistake !

Baraclough seems to me to be an absolute numpty. Most of his signings (aside from the obvious ones like Pearson and McDonald) in January were atrocious, particularly the goalie and one of the centre-halfs. They were atrocious in the game against us at the end of the season and the fact they stayed up is more to do with the shambles of Rangers than any brilliance from him.

Words that will no doubt come back to haunt me but as we're not in the same division I don't care!

Baraclough seems to me to be an absolute numpty. Most of his signings (aside from the obvious ones like Pearson and McDonald) in January were atrocious, particularly the goalie and one of the centre-halfs. They were atrocious in the game against us at the end of the season and the fact they stayed up is more to do with the shambles of Rangers than any brilliance from him.

Words that will no doubt come back to haunt me but as we're not in the same division I don't care!

And the shambles at St Mirren park too obviouslywhistling.gif

Reilly really needs to show a bit more maturity if he wants to progress in the game. Fannying about during half-time warm-up and chasing the ball like a heidless chicken when he came on in a cup-tie in Dumfries did nothing to give me confidence that he is ready to make the breakthrough. Might seem harsh, but he has had more opportunities than many of his peers.

Reilly really needs to show a bit more maturity if he wants to progress in the game. Fannying about during half-time warm-up and chasing the ball like a heidless chicken when he came on in a cup-tie in Dumfries did nothing to give me confidence that he is ready to make the breakthrough. Might seem harsh, but he has had more opportunities than many of his peers.

Maybe the fact he is on trial now and having to prove himself might give him a wee kick up the back side. I think the fact he is still trying to win a deal here and nobody else has signed him says a lot though.

He has had a couple of serious injuries and hasn't been able to regain the confidence. The club are partly to blame too, he should have been loaned out to lower league clubs so he could regain fitness and form.

Falls into the trap of being too good for the youth team but not ready for the first team.