Sustainable Football Decisions?

athens-saint

Looking at the BBC today has left me questioning the long-term sustainability of full-time Scottish football.

Considering recent events some of the "football" decisions are a little shortsighted.

The implosion of Scottish football (armageddon?) never happened. We can survive...

But all of our clubs need to be prudent....or part-time football surely beckons.

I don`t claim to be an economist but I do wonder what kind of people are running Scottish football clubs.

For example, from today`s news:

1. Rangers signing Danny Wilson.

RFC reportedly on the brink again. Tangled up with Ashley. Leaving an SPFL club for the Championship.

It`s Rangers...I get it...but they must be offering him a big contract in return.

High risk...

2. Kilmarnock giving a three year contract to Jamie MacDonald.

A 3 year deal seems excessive to me....

That is a long term investment in an average player.

High risk...

I understand how frustrating it is to sit around waiting for a new manager and new players.

But I`d rather SMFC didn`t follow suit and made deals only that make financial sense to us.

If Gow is all we can afford then that must be our reality.....1 year deals make sense to me.

Low risk is what makes sense to me.

Edited by athens-saint

Looking at the BBC today has left me questioning the long-term sustainability of full-time Scottish football.

Considering recent events some of the "football" decisions are a little shortsighted.

The implosion of Scottish football (armageddon?) never happened. We can survive...

But all of our clubs need to be prudent....or part-time football surely beckons.

I don`t claim to be an economist but I do wonder what kind of people are running Scottish football clubs.

For example, from today`s news:

1. Rangers signing Danny Wilson.

RFC reportedly on the brink again. Tangled up with Ashley. Leaving an SPFL club for the Championship.

It`s Rangers...I get it...but they must be offering him a big contract in return.

High risk...

2. Kilmarnock giving a three year contract to Jamie MacDonald.

A 3 year deal seems excessive to me....

That is a long term investment in an average player.

High risk...

I understand how frustrating it is to sit around waiting for a new manager and new players.

But I`d rather SMFC didn`t follow suit and made deals only that make financial sense to us.

If Gow is all we can afford then that must be our reality.....1 year deals make sense to me.

Low risk is what makes sense to me.

Good post Sir, I'm in agreement.

It could just as easily cost us more if Gow has a good season:

1) He wants higher wages to stay, it costs us to keep him

2) He signs for another club because they offer a higher wage, we don't get anything for him as he is a bosman signing.

I appreciate what your saying but sometimes you have to go that bit extra, almost every year we are rebuilding a team.

Thoroughly scout the player before signing him, 1 year contract with club holding option of further year

The demise of a club as big as Parma is shocking and it does show the need for clubs to live within their means and their reasonable ambitions. There still needs to be ambition and a half decent product on the park though - for us surely that's a team that competes in the Championship and makes you proud to be a buddie. £20 or whatever a pop for a repeat of last season's dismal efforts would be unsustainable in its own way. I would be disappointed if Alan Gow was all we could afford after 9 seasons in the top flight. I just dont see Gow galvanising our team. I'm all for a sensible approach to risk as long as it's not an excuse for apathy. The recent problems at St Mirren are down to poor decision making at the top and there is a danger that we let this get dressed up as some sort of rightous, prudent behavior. Maybe the BoD will be more engaged this campaign - I hope so - and I hope the BoD has uncovered a gem of a new manager as that would be a great start and a return to form. Any way you look at it St Mirren should be able to put out a team capable of finishing in the top 4 of this league no bother and anything less should be viewed as a failure. I hope the BoD has given Mr Murray a player budget based on a top 4 finish plus play offs and a half decent cup run.

The demise of a club as big as Parma is shocking and it does show the need for clubs to live within their means and their reasonable ambitions. There still needs to be ambition and a half decent product on the park though - for us surely that's a team that competes in the Championship and makes you proud to be a buddie. £20 or whatever a pop for a repeat of last season's dismal efforts would be unsustainable in its own way. I would be disappointed if Alan Gow was all we could afford after 9 seasons in the top flight. I just dont see Gow galvanising our team. I'm all for a sensible approach to risk as long as it's not an excuse for apathy. The recent problems at St Mirren are down to poor decision making at the top and there is a danger that we let this get dressed up as some sort of rightous, prudent behavior. Maybe the BoD will be more engaged this campaign - I hope so - and I hope the BoD has uncovered a gem of a new manager as that would be a great start and a return to form. Any way you look at it St Mirren should be able to put out a team capable of finishing in the top 4 of this league no bother and anything less should be viewed as a failure. I hope the BoD has given Mr Murray a player budget based on a top 4 finish plus play offs and a half decent cup run.

Is it shocking? Parma were never one of the giants of Italian football never mind European football. The club spent most of their first 50 years bouncing around between Serie C and D. The club was liquidated in 1968. In 1970 the owners of another club were allowed to take on the old club badge and name and for years after that Serie B was the best the club could do. 1990 was Parma's first time ever in the Italian top flight but by 2004 the club were insolvent and went into administration. They came back from that but in 2007 they were barred from entering the Europa League after failing to pay an income tax bill on salaries.

If anything Parma were the Italian version of the likes of Livingston or Gretna. They'll come back again from Serie D I'm sure, but if the people running the club next season have any sense about them they'll learn from the many, many mistakes of their past.

As for Scottish Football - I think the fact that Rangers have been working their way up from the fourth tier has been a great thing for the game on the whole. Many lower league clubs will have completely wiped out their historical debt issues and they will be on a much surer footing these days. In the First Division many of the clubs there have benefited from TV money as well as increased gate receipts through fixtures against Rangers, Hibernian and Hearts. I would imagine trackside advertising revenue and hospitality returns would have been strong from most, if not all of the sides there over the last season. So much for "Armageddon".

I also don't really understand why there is concern about the McDonald deal at Kilmarnock. We don't know what kind of package McDonald signed for. He's moving from a lower tier of the Scottish game to a club that had it's debts wiped out last season. Perhaps he's on a very modest wage deal, or perhaps his deal incorporates clauses in the event of relegation. There's nothing out there to suggest that the McDonald deal is in any way unsustainable. As for Wilson, well we all know "Rangers" have a number of off field issues but in amongst all the bad news for them over the summer is also the fact that they'll have significantly reduced their wage bill by offloading so many out of contract players. I'd imagine Wilson would command a much smaller wage than Lee McCulloch for example.

Edited by Stuart Dickson