Signings

Eh? Ozturk is 22 and played a few games in the Eredevisie and some in the Turkish equivalent of the Championship? And the very fact that you're referring to Wilson as an experienced player (which in this context its fair to say he is), tells you how inexperienced Hearts were in general.

So Wilson is experienced. Whew! Glad that's out of the way.

Ozturk?

13 appearances fro FC Cambuur in the Dutch top league and 18 for a Turkish team in their 2nd tier. Way more experience than Baird.

We could debate all day what is experienced and what isn't. Suffice to say, hearts defence had more experience in their central defence last season than our current options of Baird and Kelly.

However, like it or not, our central defence will consist of either Kelly or Baird, plus an experienced CH.

So Wilson is experienced. Whew! Glad that's out of the way.

Ozturk?

13 appearances fro FC Cambuur in the Dutch top league and 18 for a Turkish team in their 2nd tier. Way more experience than Baird.

We could debate all day what is experienced and what isn't. Suffice to say, hearts defence had more experience in their central defence last season than our current options of Baird and Kelly.

However, like it or not, our central defence will consist of either Kelly or Baird, plus an experienced CH.

So a total of 31 appearances for a combination of Dutch also rans and the Turkish Dumbarton makes Ozturk an experienced player, but Sean Kelly with 64 SPL appearances under his belt is inexperienced? Righto.

Anyway mate, we're like bald men fighting over a comb here.

My original post was purely to bemoan the use of the tired "too inexperienced" Scottish mentality, not to justify the suitability of a Baird/Kelly central defensive combo.

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

Kelly, for his age, has a fair amount of playing time at a decent level. The problem for us is, only a few of those games have been at centre half. Granted I only saw one of them, and he played out of his skin, but he does need more games in the centre of defence before I'll be convinced he's the answer back there.

So a total of 31 appearances for a combination of Dutch also rans and the Turkish Dumbarton makes Ozturk an experienced player, but Sean Kelly with 64 SPL appearances under his belt is inexperienced? Righto.

Anyway mate, we're like bald men fighting over a comb here.

My original post was purely to bemoan the use of the tired "too inexperienced" Scottish mentality, not to justify the suitability of a Baird/Kelly central defensive combo.

Sorry, also meant to add that Danny Wilson has made less top flight appearances than Sean Kelly and at the start of last season he was no more experienced than Kelly is now.

There's no way we can start the season with a Baird/Kelly partnership. If we look at our young centre halves through the years who have done well they have all been paired with experience eg McQueen/W Fulton , Reid/ Young , M Fulton/Copland ,Broadfoot/Potter/Millen.

Sorry, also meant to add that Danny Wilson has made less top flight appearances than Sean Kelly and at the start of last season he was no more experienced than Kelly is now.

61 v 64 top flight appearances so very marginal!

However, Danny Wilson was a year older, had made a couple of Premiership appearances, trained and played with Liverpool, played in the English Championship, played in 2 Hampden cup finals, played in European competition and won 5 caps for Scotland...

Danny Wilson was undoubtedly more experienced at the start of last season than Sean Kelly is now!

There's no way we can start the season with a Baird/Kelly partnership. If we look at our young centre halves through the years who have done well they have all been paired with experience eg McQueen/W Fulton , Reid/ Young , M Fulton/Copland ,Broadfoot/Potter/Millen.

Agree with this.

An experienced right sided centre half - who can also play right back if needed - should be an absolute priority.

Anyone know any free agents who fit the bill?

post-13994-14363642884741_thumb.jpg

61 v 64 top flight appearances so very marginal!

However, Danny Wilson was a year older, had made a couple of Premiership appearances, trained and played with Liverpool, played in the English Championship, played in 2 Hampden cup finals, played in European competition and won 5 caps for Scotland...

Danny Wilson was undoubtedly more experienced at the start of last season than Sean Kelly is now!

I was only using FTOF's gauge of experience. Number of games played appeared to be good enough to justify Ozturk's experience, so I assumed he would consider it a reasonable measure that Wilson last season and Kelly this season were of equal experience. For what it's worth I agree with you.

The bottom line is however that neither Wilson nor Kelly can be considered experienced pros and the fact that Wilson is slightly more experienced is neither here nor there. I don't think Wilson is any better a player now (with the benefit of his "experience") than he was when he was turning in excellent performances for Rangers that got him noticed by Liverpool.

Anyway, my sole point remains that you don't need to be experienced to be good enough.

And I reiterate that I'm in no way saying Kelly or Baird are good enough, just that their experience is irrelevant.

I was only using FTOF's gauge of experience. Number of games played appeared to be good enough to justify Ozturk's experience, so I assumed he would consider it a reasonable measure that Wilson last season and Kelly this season were of equal experience. For what it's worth I agree with you.

The bottom line is however that neither Wilson nor Kelly can be considered experienced pros and the fact that Wilson is slightly more experienced is neither here nor there. I don't think Wilson is any better a player now (with the benefit of his "experience") than he was when he was turning in excellent performances for Rangers that got him noticed by Liverpool.

Anyway, my sole point remains that you don't need to be experienced to be good enough.

And I reiterate that I'm in no way saying Kelly or Baird are good enough, just that their experience is irrelevant.

I agree with most of that!

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for this not being news about an imminent signing.......................tongue.png

The manager in the PDEx stating, "We will add to our numbers certainly before the Dumbarton game in two weeks time."

Hardly, earth shattering news, but suggests we're still waiting on certain players availability.