New 1877 Members Only Supporters Club

Afraid someone has to pay for it. Club were not going to.

Supporters Club Update

The vast majority of the cost is being met by the club.

Which is it then?

If the vast majority of the cost are met by the club then there's no excuse for it to be 300 members only club and this will see it being under capacity when it could be full.

Our priority is to provide a facility for St.Mirren supporters not away fans .

Only 300 St Mirren fans though....... open it up and let everyone get access subject to availability.

It's great that steps have been taken to fill the void but the structure behind this is poor.

• To act as an intermediary between the Club and the Fans
  • To share knowledge and best practice and to improve relationships between the various stakeholders, in particular the relationship between the Fans and the Club.
  • To provide a good communication flow, between the Club and the Fans.
  • To provide a platform for the Fans to ensure they are involved in appropriate decision making.
  • To act as the prime movers in various fund raising initiatives for the mutual benefit of the Club, the Fans and the Community."

I really do take my hat off to guys who give up their own time but tbh I've yet to see much evidence of the above,

in fact do you even communicate between the council members? Santaponsasaint must have been sleeping when this was discussed or either that he was waiting 8 months for the minute meetings to be updated on the website...

Edited by davidg

Which is it then?

If the vast majority of the cost are met by the club then there's no excuse for it to be 300 members only club and this will see it being under capacity when it could be full.

Only 300 St Mirren fans though....... open it up and let everyone get access subject to availability.

It's great that steps have been taken to fill the void but the structure behind this is poor.

I've yet to see much evidence of the above, in fact do you even communicate between the council members? Santaponsasaint must have been sleeping when this was discussed or either that he was waiting 8 months for the minute meetings to be updated on the website...

Fair points. Surely an explanation is needed as to the completely opposite statements that the club weren't interested in funding a void fit-out, or that the club are in fact the major funders.

If the Fan Council are to act as a conduit between the club and the supporters, then why not ask for comments from supporters (through here, the Facebook page, the club website forum) asking fans for their views on a model for a supporter's bar prior to today's announcement and then the various points raised could be chewed over and considered.

Again, I can appreciate what the Fan Council are trying to do here. I don't happen to agree with it though. In my earlier golf club analagy, not only can I, as a member, sign in a mate, and take him just for a drink, and obviously a round of golf - non-members can simply 'pay at the gate' and pay for a round or a day pass.

I appreciate a golf club doesn't need to worry about a 300 capacity H&S concern - but the Wee Barrel and surrounding pubs servicing Love Street were effectively matchday supporter's meeting places, but no membership was needed for them. If the capacity of the void is 300, have a steward with a clicker at the door and if it reaches 300 - doors shut.

Me and my mate sent out applications this morning. We often go for a pint before and after the games and would rather give our money to the club instead of surrounding bars.

I take it the bar would be open after the game also? If it's just pre match then it isn't a great deal.

Edited by Stevie88

Fantastic that something is eventually getting done with the void, long overdue. I understand the club having to try and control numbers etc and it's very difficult to please everyone, particularly St Mirren fans, however, I feel not having the option of signing folk in is a mistake.

Perhaps after its up and running things can be tweaked.

Can see them flinging the doors open to anyone for a game on a wet Wednesday in November when not many of the members turn up.

Anyway as I say it's difficult when space is limited but don't think this will be best way to maximise match day revenue. Wish FC well on this venture, but I'm out.

Supporters Club Update

Following on from previous update and subsequent forum comments.

The "signing in" option for members to sign in non members has been highlighted in a number of comments but we have to ensure paid members get access anytime they wish and the capacity is not exceeded.

It may be possible in the future to sign in non members who pay to access the club if members advise us they will not be attending a match but this will not be available initially.

We can't cover every possible scenario but a lot of debate has been carried out to offer memberships to all on a fair and reasonable basis.

Revenue generated will assist our football club .

Also, for the avoidance of doubt this is a Fans Council initiative supported by the club.

We now have 150 applications for membership so the terms offered are proving popular with supporters with 50% of available memberships already reserved subject to payment of the Founders Fee.

If you want change you have to make it happen ! Don't wait !

St.Mirren Fans Council

Football clubs up and down the country struggle to make supporters bars/clubs pay their way or break even. When there are no charges to use the facility. To charge subscription and joining fees is quite frankly condemning this venture to fail.

Anyone driving who has one alcoholic drink runs the risk of exceeding the drink drive limit. So what is the average projected spend?

No figures available on what will be spent on the fit out, but if its a community centre/church hall job the clientele will drop off quicker than a sevco director!

Only using the asset for 20 games is complete and utter commercial insanity! A proper fit out job, open everyday, with the parking and transport links on the doorstep could become a bustling venue to meet up with business associates, family, friends etc.... Take a look at a Wetherspoons..! Thats what this should mirror, not a Parish hall. Make it free and open everyday!

When people get past the novelty of having an expensive pint, in a barn, how will the FC handle drop offs in subscriptions? Start suing saints fans?

Most places use a big bloke with a counter on the door to maintain licensed numbers, only at SMFC would it cost the individual £170 each to achieve the same aim!

Edited by Lord Pityme

Well there you go, members should say whether they are attending and any spare spaces can then be used to sign folk in or single day membership tickets available to buy leading up to the game to allow maximum capacity and more money to the club

The admin of that will be a lot harder than it is to write it down though mate.

I still think a half way house of some founding members and some walk up would have been better but I guess all the options were explored and this one ticked more of the boxes.

I have put in an application for me and the boy but I'm not sure I'll actually take it up, need to see what my mates are saying as its pointless if they aren't also in.

The admin of that will be a lot harder than it is to write it down though mate.

I still think a half way house of some founding members and some walk up would have been better but I guess all the options were explored and this one ticked more of the boxes.

I have put in an application for me and the boy but I'm not sure I'll actually take it up, need to see what my mates are saying as its pointless if they aren't also in.

What mates .....lol. Agreed it's a difficult one and never going to please everyone. Hopefully one day you can sign me in then!!!

The void had to be utilised in some way and it's great that it will generate income for the club (presumably rental income to pay back the clubs initial cash outlay and then start making some cash from it) it is expensive which does not surprise me as I had wondered where the cash to pay for the huge fit out cost would come from.

People who can afford it should join up if they think it is good for them.

Putting my SMiSA hat on, I would ask that if you have stated on our survey that you would be interested in the suggestions and indeed would commit to them then if you can afford both - brilliant.

Good luck with the venture FC. and the club, initial take up of 150 is impressive as was the response to the survey, hopefully we can work together to advance the interests of our club.

Incidentally I am on the email list for the club, but as yet have not received any email about becoming a member.

Edited by buddiecat

Would love to join unfortunately I only get to 10 to 12 home games so does not make sense for me . Was a member of the oldie street bar which was taken away from the fans for a players. Most members did not turn up , however if you are paying out the fee then I'm sure you will turn up. Bit disappointed but get it.

What mates .....lol. Agreed it's a difficult one and never going to please everyone. Hopefully one day you can sign me in then!!!

Ha ! Long overdue a catchup with you and Mavis, make it happen wee peas !

Football clubs up and down the country struggle to make supporters bars/clubs pay their way or break even. When there are no charges to use the facility. To charge subscription and joining fees is quite frankly condemning this venture to fail.

Anyone driving who has one alcoholic drink runs the risk of exceeding the drink drive limit. So what is the average projected spend?

No figures available on what will be spent on the fit out, but if its a community centre/church hall job the clientele will drop off quicker than a sevco director!

Only using the asset for 20 games is complete and utter commercial insanity! A proper fit out job, open everyday, with the parking and transport links on the doorstep could become a bustling venue to meet up with business associates, family, friends etc.... Take a look at a Wetherspoons..! Thats what this should mirror, not a Parish hall. Make it free and open everyday!

When people get past the novelty of having an expensive pint, in a barn, how will the FC handle drop offs in subscriptions? Start suing saints fans?

Most places use a big bloke with a counter on the door to maintain licensed numbers, only at SMFC would it cost the individual £170 each to achieve the same aim!

tHE BITS IN BOLD thumbup2.gif

I am sure the Board will be instructing our 'commercial dept' to be touting for business for the void 325 days a year. Should be a good earner with sensible pricing. Which brings me to the subscription,,, £6 for entry on match days (thats if you make it to every game) PLUS the 'deposit' of £50 and can't bring a friend/wife? I applied, but now thinking about it...

Sadly...Count me out ahhh.gif

If the Club are doing the major funding why the high subscription and deposit? Why not be open and publish the figures and the details. I predict after the novelty wears off, the place will be lucky to be half full/

Edited by Vambo57

.............. and it sure won't happen anytime soon with cliquey projects like this !

This!

Lets see how many frequent the club one year after its opening?

Only open for a few hours on match-days to a select few wont pay the wages, business rates, VAt, Sky/BT subscription, licence fees, maintenance, utilities etc... Etc... Never mind turn a profit.

Fair play for trying to get something up and running but I would say the estimates of it being 2/3 full most weeks is actually being a helluva optimistic. I expect come February time you might find its only a 1/3 full with the entry structure that's in place.

Edited by Ally

Revenue generated will assist our football club .

And if it makes a loss?

Remind us of how much profit you generated with your tent?

I fully expect 300 members to support this but that won't garuantee a success. It will be half full most weeks.

Great idea, terrible subscription and entry structure.

Maybe get a reply this time? Communication stream with the fans?

Edited by davidg

I think the reasoning for this 300 max membership is because the club must a bit

wary the fans will turn there backs on the match day hospitality....

£90 for a meal and the use of a bar, or £10 for the use of a bar and as many pies,

burgers, and sausage rolls for sale if you want them, it's a no brainer for me...

Maybe the BOD must be fearing the already underused hospitality suite could soon

become the new void...

Edited by scrappy coco

At Love Street we had the executive club.Most of our current board were members and it was a jolly old club to be a member of.Our board at that time i think were jealous of the joyous times they had when they got together on a Saturday and pushed them aside and generally messed them about unless they had something to offer(cash).

The point to my story is that we are in danger of having another elite club which 90% of our home support cannot gain entry to.It brings out the old i,m a better fan than you scenario so dare i suggest that a £30 per year membership for all on a first come first serve on match day policy be instigated as i reckon we would get around 1000 members but the uptake on match days would probably be around the 300 mark and that ensures the club is full and profits are maximised.The fans council have done well to get this to the stage its at and i will join whatever way its done but i would like anyone locked out on a Saturday to be because they were too late coming down not that they could not get in the first place.

The Fans Council,Smisa.supporters clubs should all get together and work together to ensure we are all singing from the same hymn sheet to ensure our club prospers.All supporters are equal and our aims should be the same.

At Love Street we had the executive club.Most of our current board were members and it was a jolly old club to be a member of.Our board at that time i think were jealous of the joyous times they had when they got together on a Saturday and pushed them aside and generally messed them about unless they had something to offer(cash).

The point to my story is that we are in danger of having another elite club which 90% of our home support cannot gain entry to.It brings out the old i,m a better fan than you scenario so dare i suggest that a £30 per year membership for all on a first come first serve on match day policy be instigated as i reckon we would get around 1000 members but the uptake on match days would probably be around the 300 mark and that ensures the club is full and profits are maximised.The fans council have done well to get this to the stage its at and i will join whatever way its done but i would like anyone locked out on a Saturday to be because they were too late coming down not that they could not get in the first place.

The Fans Council,Smisa.supporters clubs should all get together and work together to ensure we are all singing from the same hymn sheet to ensure our club prospers.All supporters are equal and our aims should be the same.

Up early today Ian?